What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yes, on both units 86 and 68U same, I use last Win10-1803 with Firefox 64-bit.
Often after changing Wifi settings, maybe due to changing connection from one to the other router, at least it seem so to me.

So now that the AC88 has been stable and not requiring any reboots, it looks like the webui cpu usage may be reporting wrong? I show core2 at 100%, but when i look at the processor usage, nothing is higher than 0.8%

Mem: 207496K used, 307688K free, 2092K shrd, 3616K buff, 14300K cached
CPU: 0.6% usr 1.3% sys 0.0% nic 46.4% idle 46.7% io 0.0% irq 4.7% sirq

Look at the second line of the top output. 46.7% of the CPU is currently used for I/O.

This is a know issue for long time and need to be solved by the device vendor - look for a firmware/software update for your device. In the past Apple devices where known for this (and Apple refused to fix it). :eek:

The simplest way to get rid of this useless messages in the log is to disable them under LAN / DHCP Server - Option "Hide DHCP/RA queries" = Yes. :cool:

The problem is very strange, i have a dellxps all in one desktop that exhibits these symptoms running windows and i have swapped out the nic twice. And i agree with the previous poster, I did not have this problem with the 380 code base. In fact this has been my fifth or sixth attempt to upgrade to the 384 code base. I just stuck with it this time to see if i could figure out what has been causing me all of these problems.

If each of these messages is a broadcast then it stand to reason a dhcp broadcast storm could easily saturate a 2.4ghz band with what all of 100mb/s throughput.

Just to compare, there are some 30 devices in my network with two repeaters. For the most part I had been keeping everyone on 2.4ghz reserving the 5ghz for the repeaters. I've had to redistribute most of the these connections since upgrading to the 384 code base.

Last edited:
That looks pretty high.

What am i missing? That shows load average 5% which is not really high is it?

Look at the second line of the top output. 46.7% of the CPU is currently used for I/O.

So i need to look at the traffic next?

Code:
 tcpdump -nni eth0 ‘tcp[tcpflags] == tcp-syn’

That will display all the TCP connections on your WAN interface. It will output to the screen so no files to clean up after, and simply Ctrl+c to exit.

There is another user reporting similar symptoms, and have found that disabling “Tools - Other Settings > Wan: Use DNS probes to determine if WAN is up” solved it. Maybe try that first?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-5-is-now-available.46575/page-20#post-407041

@kfp
what are you using for tcpdump? Did you install it through entware? I wasn't able to get it working and its not part of busybox.

I would argue the DHCP loops are the result of the unstable 2.4Ghz band, not the cause.

@Mark112887 @Jon555 @joegreat @zoggy
There have been reports that the most recent release for AC3200 (382.50470) have solved the 2.4Ghz issue. A bunch of other devices also got 384.20942 updates too, so It is possible Asus solved the issue with new wireless drivers. However GPL archives are usually a few days behind, so we'll have to wait until those drop before Merlin can look at pulling the changes in.
In my case though i didn't see complete drops of the 2.4ghz network, the throughput would go from an average of 100mb/s down to .6mb/s. Although 2.4ghz toggling would trigger new dhcp requests, it would effect all devices not just the few having problems.

many thanks for everyones feedback and help :)

Last edited:
What am i missing? That shows load average 5% which is not really high is it?

That's 500%. %5 would be 0.05.
top is pretty hard to understand, here is a good link to understand what the numbers mean:
http://blog.scoutapp.com/articles/2009/07/31/understanding-load-averages

I think your router is dual core, so anything above 2.0 would mean some tasks were backed up because of high CPU usage.

So i need to look at the traffic next?
I/O means the CPU is waiting for disk. Do you have something plugged to the USB?

what are you using for tcpdump? Did you install it through entware? I wasn't able to get it working and its not part of busybox.
You're right, I just assumed it's present because I see it in the source tree. I guess it doesn't get compiled in.
Installing it through entware would work fine I imagine.

That's 500%. %5 would be 0.05.
top is pretty hard to understand, here is a good link to understand what the numbers mean:
http://blog.scoutapp.com/articles/2009/07/31/understanding-load-averages

I think your router is dual core, so anything above 2.0 would mean some tasks were backed up because of high CPU usage.

I/O means the CPU is waiting for disk. Do you have something plugged to the USB?

You're right, I just assumed it's present because I see it in the source tree. I guess it doesn't get compiled in.
Installing it through entware would work fine I imagine.

Thanks,
I'll take a look. A usb2 device is plugged in, but i wasn't writing or using it yet. It was used in my old ac3100 to write traffic logs to before i started logging everything to a syslog server. A soft reset didn't fix the cpu usage either.

I do have debug logging enabled though. Maybe all of the debug logs are were filling up the disk i/o queue when i was hitting the dhcp issues.

As an review,
I tested 384.5 for 2 weeks, all is good except Dual WAN and TLS handshake, it take to long to complete and implicit the net is slow
I have RT-AC5300 with Dual WAN
first WAN with PPPoE 1Gb download and 400Mb upload,
second WAN with DHCP 1Gb down and 200Mb upload with static IP
For now 380.70 works very well.

All working fine for days except a detail, can’t delete IPS events. When you click on bin icon seems that all events was deleted but after a few minutes reappear again. If you delete the events and reboot the router then all events are deleted fine.

All working fine for days except a detail, can’t delete IPS events. When you click on bin icon seems that all events was deleted but after a few minutes reappear again. If you delete the events and reboot the router then all events are deleted fine.

Yup, been a glitch since day 1.

After upgrading to 384.5 release, firmware on router still says 384.5_beta2. Please advise. TIA.
Remove all usb drives..reboot (without drives) and flash again (without drives) then see what happens.

Hello, is there a way to add "Set AP isoleted" to the Guest Network??? My router RT-AC5300 is working on Access Point (AP) Mode. It was interesting this features, because who access to normal wifi should be able to connect to other machine in network, but who access to the Guest Network is temporary user and don't be able to access to the others machine's in the network. Sorry for the english and Thank's in advance.
See this thread:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/3...k-allowing-full-access-to-home-network.46540/

Remove all usb drives..reboot (without drives) and flash again (without drives) then see what happens.

Removed UBS drive, rebooted, router promter to set up new network. Logged in and saw my custom user & password. However, after logout, router needed the default user/password. Did a factory reset; Flashed new 384.5 release; still says 384.5 beta 2. Thanks

Removed UBS drive, rebooted, router promter to set up new network. Logged in and saw my custom user & password. However, after logout, router needed the default user/password. Did a factory reset; Flashed new 384.5 release; still says 384.5 beta 2. Thanks
Have you tried by unplugging the power cord, wait maybe 10 secs and then plug it back in? Also, once you'ver flashed it try logging out and then logging back in.

When I install new firmware I always do a GUI reboot, then a power cord pull and then another GUI reboot. It might be overkill and/or a waste of time but I've never had any issues with the firmware not taking.

Try with a different browser.

Thanks again. Tried all the suggestions about and even uploaded the official ASUS firmware. After reboot, still says 384.5 beta2. Very strange as I've never had fw upload issues in the past.

Do it with another computer.

Thanks again. Tried it from another Mac and still no change. Was able to upgrade another AC68U to 384.5 with no issues. Not sure if there's a brute force method to upgrade the FW.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!