What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Could you be more specific as to the issues?
Tried factory defaults?

No issues whatsoever here with quite a lot of apps loaded...on android
When i updated to the firmware then connectivity, performance and stability problems occur...(The web interface has also jerky during construction)

This is on wireless? What
When i updated to the firmware then connectivity, performance and stability problems occur...(The web interface has also jerky during construction)

This is on wireless? Quite a few of us have reported similar issues with the wireless stability since the upgrade. It seems to be more of an issue with the 2.4ghz radio, although i did have the 5ghz go out as well. The wired ports for the most part are fine. It appears to be a common issue. Right now the only way to resolve this may be to go back to the 380 branch of code for the device.

no, this was with a LAN connection

with Wi-Fi was that a very bad to no connection, that's why i immediately went back to an old version, where everything was still working great(which it does now again)

Last edited:
@RMerlin
Do we / does anyone have direct access to anyone at asus tech support to provide them with logs/debug/whatever they may need to troubleshoot wireless problems? Since i have stock installed now and the problems are still occurring with wireless...I'd be willing to spend some time tracking whatever information they need to help resolve this before i go back to 380.70

right now I'm guessing the issue is with broadcast messages which may make this related to the code changes for aimesh... During the capture from my last problem period, i saw no broadcast traffic on the 2.4ghz channel and i started getting the dhcp loops in the logs again for some of my devices.

many thanks!

Do we / does anyone have direct access to anyone at asus tech support to provide them with logs/debug/whatever they may need to troubleshoot wireless problems? Since i have stock installed now and the problems are still occurring with wireless...I'd be willing to spend some time tracking whatever information they need to help resolve this before i go back to 380.70

Use the Feedback page on your router.

I noticed that my VPN Client connection stopped working after the update. This issue was ntp server was not able to be contacted to get the correct date and time.
So I remove from my VPN Client the routing connection and reentered it - no, that wasn't the issue.
The only way to get it working was to disable the VPN Client manually, get the update date/time and reenable it manually again.
I don't think this is supposed to work like that, before the update the routing was fine
(Router 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 WAN is the routing). I guess 'Block routed clients if tunnel goes down' isn't working correctly now, as even if it's actived, the routing over the WAN should work!? Using a 86U

I noticed that my VPN Client connection stopped working after the update. This issue was ntp server was not able to be contacted to get the correct date and time.
So I remove from my VPN Client the routing connection and reentered it - no, that wasn't the issue.
The only way to get it working was to disable the VPN Client manually, get the update date/time and reenable it manually again.
I don't think this is supposed to work like that, before the update the routing was fine
(Router 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 WAN is the routing). I guess 'Block routed clients if tunnel goes down' isn't working correctly now, as even if it's actived, the routing over the WAN should work!? Using a 86U

I have thought the same thing about the kill switch not working properly.
I have one openvpn client set up with exclusive dns and strict policy rules to three devices.
It runs fine after setup but if I switch the client off to redirect the devices to WAN it just hangs, no vpn and no wan.
I then have to reboot the router and everything works again.
It’s a little annoying because I never had the problem until 384.5 final, all the alpha and beta’s worked fine.
I also had the 2.4g wireless issue but that appears to have stopped after numerous factory resets.

I asked if it was already tested with the RT-AC68U(not with the RT-N66U, or have you also a RT-AC68U?).

I have to update my signature.
1-0 for you.

You initially asked for AC86 (which I have now), then edited to AC68.
1-1 :)

Reactions: kfp
Is it only I who have problem with 5GHz WiFi and MAC-filter? Because if I enable MAC filter on the 5GHz, everything (close to anyway) stops to work on 5GHz (the only thing that seems to work is my Sony mobile, but the other 10 or so clients are not working - yes I double checked all MAC entries)....

Is it only I who have problem with 5GHz WiFi and MAC-filter? Because if I enable MAC filter on the 5GHz, everything (close to anyway) stops to work on 5GHz (the only thing that seems to work is my Sony mobile, but the other 10 or so clients are not working - yes I double checked all MAC entries)....

Is this behaviour only observed starting with 384.5?

384.5 18 days 16 hours of flawless operation...
THANKS!!

Is this behaviour only observed starting with 384.5?

I had it on 384.3 and decided to upgrade to 384.5 - no difference. I used to have so 382.1 - it was the last one I know worked. But then again, I might remember incorrect - I thought I check to see if anyone else has this odd behavior... I can give another example: the 5GHz with MAC filter on seems to like to restart the 5GHz radio part then and now, since my devices loses connection in an unregular pattern - makes no reason to do so. And if I run without MAC filter, it just works. Very annoying...

I had it on 384.3 and decided to upgrade to 384.5 - no difference. I used to have so 382.1 - it was the last one I know worked. But then again, I might remember incorrect - I thought I check to see if anyone else has this odd behavior... I can give another example: the 5GHz with MAC filter on seems to like to restart the 5GHz radio part then and now, since my devices loses connection in an unregular pattern - makes no reason to do so. And if I run without MAC filter, it just works. Very annoying...

That’s good info, thanks. Though I don’t have a definitive answer for you.

I was just wondering if it’s because a lot of devices now default to using a random MAC for Wifi discovery. Some also have the option to keep using that random MAC (Win10).

On my RT-AC5300 with approx. 50 clients...
Uptime 30 days 4 hours 43 minute(s) 31 seconds on 384.5

Reactions: kfp
I have no idea what happened, but today when I got home my Internet was spotty. At first I thought it was my ISP, but I checked my router logs and it wad reporting over and over that it couldn’t write to /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases because there was no space left on the device. This went back as far as the log went to June 11 8:58 pm, so nearly 24 hours.

I have a AC88U which has about 500 MB of ram of which normally a little over 320 MB is free. Before rebooting I had 75 MB free. I wanted to ssh in to the router to see what was using all the space, but there wasn’t enough memory to fork a process to do so. All I could do was reboot. I now have 325 MB again.

I don’t run anything special on the router. Just the basics and an OpenVPN server. It had been up 20 days without issue. Any idea what happened?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!