What's new

[Release] AB-Solution 3 - The Ad Blocking Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AB directs dnsmasq to log to file.
There is no other way around this, only one log exists.

OK, thanks for the info. I'll just turn AB logging off since I know it is working. I would rather see if problems occur with my devices obtaining IP's on my network.

I'm using John's fork v20e9.
Ah ok no wonder i can't see it... thought i was going mad for a minute. John can probably shed some light on this behaviour then..... de-mystified a little at least :)

Ah ok no wonder i can't see it... thought i was going mad for a minute. John can probably shed some light on this behaviour then..... de-mystified a little at least :)
It's there on Merlin as well, but with a different name and location. On Merlin it's on the LAN > DHCP Servers page, Hide DHCP/RA queries.

I grouped all the logging options together on the Administration > System page.

It's there on Merlin as well, but with a different name and location. On Merlin it's on the LAN > DHCP Servers page, Hide DHCP/RA queries.

Well i know what that button does now too :D Am i correct in assuming its making use of dnsmasq logging and AB solution postconf changes are what is killing it for @punkinduster ?

I would rather see if problems occur with my devices obtaining IP's on my network.
I would be worried if I had to log that all the time just to be sure the devices connect.
You may have a problem you should solve, then you can lean back and enjoy some nice stats from AB. Without the logging this is disabled.

I'm just glad dnsmasq does not support multiple log facilities for different options. It would drive me mad adding that as an option...

I tried turning logging off in AB and then seeing what the dnsmasq.conf file looked like with the Hide DHCP/RA queries set to off. There doesn't seem to be any log-facility entry for it. That only gets appended when i turn AB logging back on.... log-facility=/tmp/mnt/data/adblocking/logs/dnsmasq.log
it must mess with a default location for the log

Well i know what that button does now too :D Am i correct in assuming its making use of dnsmasq logging and AB solution postconf changes are what is killing it for @punkinduster ?
IIRC, what that option does is set a specific dnsmasq option to not log the queries. That they are no longer in the syslog, is just a result of AB solution redirecting the dnsmasq log entries to a file (but if the DHCP logging is enabled, they should be in the log file AB solution creates).

I tried turning logging off in AB and then seeing what the dnsmasq.conf file looked like with the Hide DHCP/RA queries set to off. There doesn't seem to be any log-facility entry for it. That only gets appended when i turn AB logging back on.... log-facility=/tmp/mnt/data/adblocking/logs/dnsmasq.log
it must mess with a default location for the log
No log-facility defined means it sends to syslog, whatever you add as option to log.

IIRC, what that option does is set a specific dnsmasq option to not log the queries. That they are no longer in the syslog, is just a result of AB solution redirecting the dnsmasq log entries to a file (but if the DHCP logging is enabled, they should be in the log file AB solution creates).
They are logged to file in AB.
The 'Hide DHCP/RA queries' adds
Code:
quiet-dhcp
quiet-dhcp6
quiet-ra
to the dnsmasq.conf, AB logging on or not.

No log-facility defined means it sends to syslog, whatever you add as option to log.
Got it... so the reality is that unless you create a verbose log output to a file somewhere with the log-facility option, then dnsmasq will stream directly to the syslogd. I had a look through my AB dnsmasq log to see if i could find any DHCP entries but i didn't notice any. Thats not to say they aren't lost somewhere in the sea of DNS entries

Got it... so the reality is that unless you create a verbose log output to a file somewhere with the log-facility option, then dnsmasq will stream directly to the syslogd. I had a look through my AB dnsmasq log to see if i could find any DHCP entries but i didn't notice any. Thats not to say they aren't lost somewhere in the sea of DNS entries
Haven't checked what the standard behavior is, I would assume that if 'Hide DHCP/RA queries' is set to no, it will log to syslog and if AB logging is on to file.
Which means if not directed to be quiet it would log these, as there is no entry in dnsmasq.conf with this set to no.

OK, The DHCP log entries do go to the AB log file as expected and not to the system log if AB logging is enabled. As mentioned earlier, it is probably more interesting to see the AB log info than to see the DHCP server bump the IPs every 12 hours. :)

OK, The DHCP log entries do go to the AB log file as expected and not to the system log if AB logging is enabled. As mentioned earlier, it is probably more interesting to see the AB log info than to see the DHCP server bump the IPs every 12 hours. :)
Thanks for the confirmation. Altough I heavily work with the dnsmasq settings ATM for the AB update, I have not had the time to verify that.

And sure, I too reluctantly agree that the log file contains a treasure trove of info, partially mined by the stats function.

using Merlin .64 and AC88U if I try to install pixelserv I get the following error

found a folder named opt at
/tmp/opt

but Entware does not appear to be running.
Please investigate first.
-------------------------------------------------
Based on the check above, pixelserv-tls
is not available for install with AB-Solution

any ideas? thanks

using Merlin .64 and AC88U if I try to install pixelserv I get the following error

found a folder named opt at
/tmp/opt

but Entware does not appear to be running.
Please investigate first.
-------------------------------------------------
Based on the check above, pixelserv-tls
is not available for install with AB-Solution

any ideas? thanks

if you installed transmission or any other entware, just remove the sym link /tmp/opt was my resolution.

if you installed transmission or any other entware, just remove the sym link /tmp/opt was my resolution.

I have installed optware for download manager. Do I need to remove download manager? If I remove the link will download manager stop working?

I have installed optware for download manager. Do I need to remove download manager? If I remove the link will download manager stop working?

I think you can just make the link again after the installs if it breaks the DL manager.

I think you can just make the link again after the installs if it breaks the DL manager.
Entware and Optware don't work together, you can only have one installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.