What's new

[Release] AB-Solution 3 - The Ad Blocking Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on 3.1-beta-v20.
The beta team is currently running v19 to check for bugs and suggestions for improvements and more goodies.
I try to keep up with them but they have ideas beyond my coding speed.
But to me, just fixing the minor bugs in v3 and then release is boring.

Sounding a bit more like V3.5 than V3.1 ! :p

Sounding a bit more like V3.5 than V3.1 ! :p
A rose by any other name....blah blah blah
All we know is its AB-solution and it rocks. :D

Is there an easy way to redirect to a page saying that the website user is trying to open is ads instead of having DNS problem message? Something like redirecting locally to router's IP on specific port that shows explanations through web interface.

Thanks in advance

Is there an easy way to redirect to a page saying that the website user is trying to open is ads instead of having DNS problem message? Something like redirecting locally to router's IP on specific port that shows explanations through web interface.

Thanks in advance
You mean like a kind of advertisement?....... ah damn it! ;)

You mean like a kind of advertisement?....... ah damn it! ;)
:eek:Just came to think that that is how advertisement works, but no, just a page that explain why users cannot access real ads website.

Edit: When some websites are not accessible, some users doubt the quality of network for example.

:eek:Just came to think that that is how advertisement works, but no, just a page that explain why users cannot access real ads website.

Edit: When some websites are not accessible, some users doubt the quality of network for example.
It doable of course ( but not as easy as you might think)... and i can't help thinking that it would be at the detriment of your browsing experience. You are just replacing that annoying ad with an annoying banner.
After its initial novelty value wore off you would be cursing and back in the forums asking how to turn it off ..haha

Thanks in advance
I'd like to know if it is possible too.

I'd like to know if it is possible too.
Im sure @thelonelycoder has already noted this post and added it to his ever growing list of considerations for future enhancements... i think he already has a list long enough for AB31 let alone AB3.1

Thanks for the +1 on the request... the higher the demand for a feature is, the more likely it is to get consideration. Something like this is a LOT of work, so i can't see it bubbling to the top of the list unless its in the "must have" or "highly desirable" category.

Thanks in advance
There is no easy way to do that. Scenario:
You visit a website, say greatdomain.com. That domain pulls content from domains like adserver.com and malwareserver.com.
The latter two are in the blocked list, hosts-adblock or blacklist.txt.
greatdomain.com loads up, minus the content from the blocked domains. A great experience.

Now, how should AB know which domain to redirect to a 'haha gotcha, no dice' redirect page? The malwareserver.com domain?
There are literally hundreds of thousands blocked domains in the blocklist, depending on which one you use.

There is no easy way to do that. Scenario:
You visit a website, say greatdomain.com. That domain pulls content from domains like adserver.com and malwareserver.com.
The latter two are in the blocked list, hosts-adblock or blacklist.txt.
greatdomain.com loads up, minus the content from the blocked domains. A great experience.

Now, how should AB know which domain to redirect to a 'haha gotcha, no dice' redirect page? The malwareserver.com domain?
There are literally hundreds of thousands blocked domains in the blocklist, depending on which one you use.
The best "solution" for this is to tail (or "follow") the filtered log, which is available via AB-Solution menu.

If you had read my reply to that request, you'd know the answer.
The content is useless as the file is dynamically generated, depending on settings in the WebUI and what services you have selected in the AB-Solution UI.

I am very sorry for that I did not read your reply to that request. I will die stupid now :)

but really, good work with this solution!

I tried to install a new AC88 router inside my network which already has a AC88 router with AdBlock. This failed, with a reference to Layer-3 DNS requests, and then the script tried to use 8.8.8.8 as DNS - now I understand that you try something here - but why do you request this kind of access for the installation of AdBlock?

I tried to install a new AC88 router inside my network which already has a AC88 router with AdBlock. This failed, with a reference to Layer-3 DNS requests, and then the script tried to use 8.8.8.8 as DNS - now I understand that you try something here - but why do you request this kind of access for the installation of AdBlock?
Try to install AB-Solution without a working internet connection, you'll see.
AB pings either Level 3, and if that fails, tries Google.
This has nothing to do with DNS. It just tests for a working internet conection.

Stupid question somehow but do you plan to port it on tomato ? I'm using it on merlinwrt but wanted to have such great addon at my sister's tomato router (mine in fact but at her appartment). Thanks.

Stupid question somehow but do you plan to port it on tomato ? I'm using it on merlinwrt but wanted to have such great addon at my sister's tomato router (mine in fact but at her appartment). Thanks.
I'm thinking about it. As it stands now, AB takes a lot of my free time away from other stuff I'd love to do.
One never knows.

I'm thinking about it. As it stands now, AB takes a lot of my free time away from other stuff I'd love to do.
One never knows.
But AB-Solution is your baby!

I pronounce AB-Solution as Aabsolution, the emphasis on the A.
How do you?

The original proposal was Absolution. But all the tld Domain names I wanted were taken.

Hi, I am new to custom firmware on router (just flashed asuswrt-merlin on my rt-ac68). A major reason I do this is because I want to do adblock on my router, and I have several newbie questions. Your helps are most appreciated.

#1) My rt-68 is on revision B1, with a 1GHz armv7 processor. How can I tell if it is an ARM ext4 device?

#2) I plan to use an 8G flash drive for adblocking/entware. At the moment I don't plan to install lots of other scripts beside pixelserv. Do I need to partition the flash drive (e.g. a separate partition for entware?) or can I leave this as one 8G partition? I have not yet installed entware on my router.

#3) Currently I use ublock origin on my laptop and I subscribed to several additional lists (privacy filters, privacy filters). What is the best way add such subscriptions to AB-solution?

#4) On my desktop, every so often I have to ublock certain websites on ublock origin in order to get to a site. How would I make such changes with AB-solution?

I did try to go through this thread and I was not able to find the answers to these questions; apologies if I miss the obvious and THANKS for your help.

#1) My rt-68 is on revision B1, with a 1GHz armv7 processor. How can I tell if it is an ARM ext4 device?
Ext 4 is a format type of storage; like NTFS is a format for your PC hard drive. Your router supports ext4 file format, so you can use format tools to reformat your USB drive to ext2, ext3 or ext4. However, ext 2 is the most common one here, I think.

#4) On my desktop, every so often I have to unblock certain websites on ublock origin in order to get to a site. How would I make such changes with AB-solution?
After installation, use SSH and use this code
Code:
./ab-solution.sh
Then you will see the AB-Solution interface. Then you just enter 'el' to go to whitelist, and then continue the process which is quite simple when you see it.

This link tells you many things:
http://www.ab-solution.info/how-to/

Status
Not open for further replies.