What's new

[Release] AB-Solution 3 - The Ad Blocking Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running 380.64 with AB-Solution 3 installed and running. This worked fine for the first few days it blocked almost everything. Now though Google ads from their system are getting through. Every site I test now suffers from this problem. The adds are coming from Google add servers. Am I missing something or is this program AB-Solution 3 not adapting fast enough. Any thoughts?

Which Host file are you using?

Standard, Medium, Shooter40sw's, Large?

And can you post one or two of these links so I can check them on my side since I'm also running AB3.

thelonelycoder, first of all thanks for your great solution! Now I have a simple question for you just for my peace of mind. I installed AB-Solution w/ pixelserv-tls, if I ever decide to uninstall AB-Solution with rm command, will this also uninstall pixelserv-tls and entware automatically? Is there anything else needed to reset everything to defaults? Thanks again!

thelonelycoder, first of all thanks for your great solution! Now I have a simple question for you just for my peace of mind. I installed AB-Solution w/ pixelserv-tls, if I ever decide to uninstall AB-Solution with rm command, will this also uninstall pixelserv-tls and entware automatically? Is there anything else needed to reset everything to defaults? Thanks again!
The (rm) option only removes a standard AB-Solution install.
If pixelserv and Entware is installed (through AB or previously installed) they will not be removed.
But since (rm) removes the post-mount and dnsmasq.postconf in /jffs/scripts/, Entware and pixelserv no longer work.
Be aware that 'dead' files remain:
- services-start
- services-stop
- wan-start

To manually remove AB (recommended) do this:
If you have no other custom scripts in the /jffs/scripts directory (apart from AB generated ones) then it is best you delete them all and reboot your router.

Then you can delete all files on your USB device pertaining to AB:
- the /adblocking/ directory
- the file ab-solution.sh

Edit: And I'm not sure if the (rm) option ever will remove Entware and pixelserv entries in /jffs/ as this is a lot more complicated to do then adding them.

Edit 2: Don't run ab-solution.sh after removing all files in /jffs/scripts/ if you want to completely remove AB-Solution. If the settings file is found on the USB device, then they will automagically be regenerated, including pixelserv and Entware settings.

Last edited:
Auto-magically putting things back exactly "the way they were" pre AB3 installation would be an awful lot of work. I think the ability of the script to repair itself avoids most of the cases where you would consider need to remove and reinstall during regular use. If you are removing AB3 forever, then theres a good chance that many things would have changed on your router since the original install anyway, so doing something like restoring a previous version of a post-mount script might not return the original functionality.
In any event.... who would want to remove AB after experiencing browsing with it installed anyway :D

In any event.... who would want to remove AB after experiencing browsing with it installed anyway :D
Thanks for the love!

You remind me of a point I have to add to the post about removing AB:
Don't run ab-solution.sh after removing all files in /jffs/scripts/.
They will automagically be regenerated, including pixelserv and Entware settings.

The case I was thinking about is when I plan to sell my router, I would like to give it as original as I can. Thanks thelonelycoder for your help. So one last question, once I uninstall AB as you said, how should I remove entware adn pixelserv?

The case I was thinking about is when I plan to sell my router, I would like to give it as original as I can. Thanks thelonelycoder for your help. So one last question, once I uninstall AB as you said, how should I remove entware adn pixelserv?
In that case, just remove your USB device(s), select to 'Format JFFS partition at next boot' in Administration/System, reboot and the do a factory reset in Restore/Save/Upload Setting.
You may also want to 'downgrade' the firmware to Asus stock.

I've a problem:

s.1482508312.jpg

s.1482508354.jpg

s.1482508398.jpg

And can you post one or two of these links so I can check them on my side since I'm also running AB3.
I am also having the same problem after the 380.64 update of Merlin...Though i am not sure if that is the real root cause.

I am using the Shooter40sw's in my AC68U router and I am seeing the following URLS are not getting blocked...

www.google-analytics.com
www.googleadservices.com
*.doubleclick.net
www.googletagservices.com

I am also having the same problem after the 380.64 update of Merlin...Though i am not sure if that is the real root cause.

I am using the Shooter40sw's in my AC68U router and I am seeing the following URLS are not getting blocked...

www.google-analytics.com
www.googleadservices.com
*.doubleclick.net
www.googletagservices.com
its blocking ok for me..... can you try the (f) follow the log file option to se if dnsmasq is redirecting the DNS request. is should look something like this
Code:
Dec 23 23:14:35 dnsmasq[13746]: /tmp/mnt/data/adblocking/hosts-adblock www.googletagservices.com is 192.168.2.3
Dec 23 23:14:35 dnsmasq[13746]: /tmp/mnt/data/adblocking/hosts-adblock www.googleadservices.com is 192.168.2.3
Dec 23 23:14:35 dnsmasq[13746]: /tmp/mnt/data/adblocking/hosts-adblock www.google-analytics.com is 192.168.2.3

also just make sure your devices are configured to use the routers DNS

Hey there has anyone else noticed that at first the blocking works on everything and now all of my programs and websites populate with adds again. I've checked.and ab-solution and pixel are running. I updated the host file still the same. I rebooted router and no change still getting adds where I didn't see them when I first installed. Any ideas these adds sneaking through have a common source I think Google adds.

Hey there has anyone else noticed that at first the blocking works on everything and now all of my programs and websites populate with adds again. I've checked.and ab-solution and pixel are running. I updated the host file still the same. I rebooted router and no change still getting adds where I didn't see them when I first installed. Any ideas these adds sneaking through have a common source I think Google adds.
Check your devices DNS setting, it must point to your routers IP.
Also, to check if they are blocked run (f) and then option (2). This will only list the blocked domains.
Then do some browsing and check if they are going through AB-Solution or not.

I'm using medium.

Check your devices DNS setting, it must point to your routers IP.
Also, to check if they are blocked run (f) and then option (2). This will only list the blocked domains.
Then do some browsing and check if they are going through AB-Solution or not.
Oh you are brilliant bud it was dns set to my isp settings. I set it back to point to the router and wham no more adds!

Oh you are brilliant bud it was dns set to my isp settings. I set it back to point to the router and wham no more adds!
If you leave the LAN DNS Server fields empty and have your devices set to obtain the IP address automatically, your router's IP will be set as the DNS Server.
But then, that is not likely so in your case as this would bypass ad-blocking.

Question: how can i link sending weekly stats via gmail if my gmail account has 2-factor authentication?

Status
Not open for further replies.