What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.62_1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've been using that same setup coupled with static IPs for two Xbox One systems and a 360 with no NAT problems for years.
Hmm we'll never had this issue since .58 or .59 FW again it might work for you but doesn't for me and previously stated I have cleared the NVRAM numerous times using Ssh then power cycling it. I'm stumped.

Yeah, no traffic stats even when just saving to RAM. I guess I'll try installing .57 and see what happens.

I just tried 62_1 and parental controls stopped respecting access times. No matter how the devices were set, everything was blocked. Turn off parental controls, and everything works fine. Had to go back to 61_0. This is on an RT-N66U. I searched this thread and couldn't find a mention of this issue. Anybody else see this?

Merlin,

I am wanting to use QoS and trying to figure which firmware version is the most effective, (stock, yours, or John). I am on the lates John fork version on my RT-AC-66R router. John mentioned that QoS does not go in affect until my network is saturated which make sense but I am wanting to priortize a device above all other devices, basically I want QoS to kick in even if my network is not saturated. I want this device to be top priority at all times. Is your QoS any different and if so would it work better for my situation?
Thanks for all your work and advise!

Hello,
(i am french, sorry for my poor english)

Since my RT-N66U died abruptly, I had passed on Linksys AC1200. Asus missed me and Merlin firmwares also.

I bought an AC56U (OK a little bit old, but well meets my needs)

Having upgraded with the old stock firmware 9004.380.2695 I flashed the 380.62_1.

Everything works perfectly and many novelties.

I breathe again, thanks a lot.

Wyse

Wyse, I enjoyed your post. Thanks. :)

Welcome back to the 'club'!

Merlin,

I am wanting to use QoS and trying to figure which firmware version is the most effective, (stock, yours, or John). I am on the lates John fork version on my RT-AC-66R router. John mentioned that QoS does not go in affect until my network is saturated which make sense but I am wanting to priortize a device above all other devices, basically I want QoS to kick in even if my network is not saturated. I want this device to be top priority at all times. Is your QoS any different and if so would it work better for my situation?
Thanks for all your work and advise!

You probably misunderstood John's explanation.

What QoS does is it will allow the full bandwidth to a connection unless a higher priority connection is established, at which point the lower priority one will obey the limitations configured on that traffic's class. It has nothing to do with whether the network is saturated or not.

If you are looking to limit bandwidth, then you don't need QoS, you need traffic shaping (i.e. the Bandwith Limiter).

I bought an AC56U (OK a little bit old, but well meets my needs)

The RT-AC56U is a very nice device for its specs and price. It's the model I sell to my customers who just need something good enough for OpenVPN and aren't trying to cover an overly large area with wifi. Its only real issue is its bootloader is a bit buggy, so it might fail to enter recovery mode when you try to do so.

While the RT-AC68U is probably the best model available at the moment, the price difference cannot always be justified.

The RT-AC56U is the model I keep half-disassembled for when I do development that requires serial monitoring. I like the fact it's not that big, and it can easily stand flat down on the table while in that state.

You probablyJohn's explanation.

What QoS does is it will allow the full bandwidth to a connection unless a higher priority connection is established, at which point the lower priority one will obey the limitations configured on that traffic's class. It has nothing to do with whether the network is saturated or not.

If you are looking to limit bandwidth, then you don't need QoS, you need traffic shaping (i.e. the Bandwith Limiter).

Here is his reply, did i misunderstand it?
That's the intent (note that the ability to set the default is a feature unique to this fork).
One thing you should know about traditional QoS is that the download limits are 'soft'....any really only come into play when the download is at max with multiple clients.

Anyway, i thought qos is another name for traffic shaping? How does qos on asus routers exactly work then? I used qos on an older d-link router and worked that way. High priority devices would have the right of way so to speak. John mentioned down load in his reply but isn't qos real function is on the up load?
Really i just want my Xbox to have packet priority when other devices are using the Internet. I think i rarely use my full bandwidth up at a given time. I know the xbox never uses my full bandwidth so would using qos be a waste of time???

Last edited:
okay. I pulled this from the QoS description on the online Asus emulator for the RT-AC66R: so this only happens when you max your bandwidth? Did you make any changes to this on your firm ware or is it the same? Thanks again and sorry for the stupid or redundant questions. Just trying to understand everything better!
  • Change the order of upstream network packets, which refer to the order in which packets are sent to the Internet.
  • Low-priority packets are disregarded to ensure the transmission of high-priority packets. The higher priority upstream packet will cause the higher priority downstream packet.
  • If there are no packets being sent from high-priority applications, the full transmission rate of the Internet connection is available for low-priority packets.

Last edited:
okay. I pulled this from the QoS description on the online Asus emulator for the RT-AC66R: so this only happens when you max your bandwidth? Did you make any changes to this on your firm ware or is it the same?

I haven't made any change to the QoS design, aside from adding new queue disciplines.

I recently noticed a strange issue with DNS on my RT-AC68P running 380.62_1. I can no longer resolve hostnames on my local network when using ping unless I add a dot at the end. Nslookup will correctly resolve the name without the dot. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which version this issue started because I don't often ping devices on my local network but I have done it in the past without issue. One thing I read online was that a WINS server will fix the issue. I have set as WINS server as well as set as master browser enabled under USB applications but that didn't help. Any ideas?

I recently noticed a strange issue with DNS on my RT-AC68P running 380.62_1. I can no longer resolve hostnames on my local network when using ping unless I add a dot at the end. Nslookup will correctly resolve the name without the dot. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which version this issue started because I don't often ping devices on my local network but I have done it in the past without issue. One thing I read online was that a WINS server will fix the issue. I have set as WINS server as well as set as master browser enabled under USB applications but that didn't help. Any ideas?

This usually happens if you use OpenDNS or some other resolver that fail to return a proper NXDOMAIN error when appropriate.

Also make sure you given your lan a domain name under LAN > DHCP Servers
Alternatively, don't give your LAN a domain name but make sure your clients are part of a workgroup and not a domain. That way Windows clients can use the NetBIOS short name.

How to automatic resolve ".onion" with VPN-TOR function enabled?

This usually happens if you use OpenDNS or some other resolver that fail to return a proper NXDOMAIN error when appropriate.

I'm running almost completely stock. No special DNS settings. The router is using the ISP DNS and the computers are using the router as DNS.

Also make sure you given your lan a domain name under LAN > DHCP Servers

I've never done that before. Did something change? Should I use "local"?

Alternatively, don't give your LAN a domain name but make sure your clients are part of a workgroup and not a domain. That way Windows clients can use the NetBIOS short name.

They are currently set to use a workgroup. I just tried running nbtstat -a HOST and it also didn't resolve. Could NetBIOS/WINS be broken in the latest firmware? I noticed from a google search that some older asuswrt documentation said that you needed to put 192.168.1.1 as the WINS server name under the DNS config. I've never had to do that before though.

They are currently set to use a workgroup. I just tried running nbtstat -a HOST and it also didn't resolve. Could NetBIOS/WINS be broken in the latest firmware? I noticed from a google search that some older asuswrt documentation said that you needed to put 192.168.1.1 as the WINS server name under the DNS config. I've never had to do that before though.
Personally I wouldn't use a WINS server because unless you have a specific need for it it just adds another layer of complexity to debug. Having one device (the router or a server if you have one) as the master browser is a good idea though. Without a master browser it can sometimes take a minute or two for name resolution to start.
Code:
C:\Users\Colin>nbtstat -a  mac

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.238] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    HOME           <00>  GROUP       Registered
    MAC            <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    MAC            <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    HOME           <1E>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = B8-8D-12-39-7B-48

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!