What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.64_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past couple of versions, the arp cache on the AC-68U keeps "losing" devices every now and then even though they're still connected. They used to remain on the list as long as they were connected and immediately disappeared within 60 seconds of disconnection, but now they sometimes hang out on the list for several minutes even after being disconnected and then also drop out of the list for from several minutes to up to an hour despite remaining connected.

I relied on the arp cache to maintain a list of connected devices on the network for a script, but this prevents that. Is there a more reliable way to keep track of currently connected devices through the command line (not just wirelessly associated devices, but all clients including wired clients and wireless clients on other APs)?

EDIT: This not just on the AC-68U, but has also affected the N-66U on the latest versions as well, so I assume it's for all routers.

Last edited:
Please help.
Cannot update my AC68U anymore - when updating from 162.2 build to 164 and to 164.2, I get the notification kind of "Asus has changed the rules and policy. This firmware is incompatible with new rules." And the build stays the same - 162.2. Tried to update with the ISP's cable removed from the router - didn't help.
How to dismiss the notification and update?

Running 380.64_2 on a RT-AC68U and when CTF is disabled (for example when QoS is enabled) I can't get a DHCP address from the service provider on the WAN interface. Disabling QoS isn't enough to solve the problem, I need to set CTF to auto to get a DHCP address from my provider.

When it is in this state interface stats increase on eth0 but not vlan2.

I didn't see anything in the changelog for QOS

Hello,

I updated tofay to the latest Firmware. I have an ASUS RT-N66U. Since the Update i can only some devices online in the AICloud. But i have several other devices which are online.
The Bad thing is that i can't do a WOL on a device which is really offline since I can't see it.
How can I fix that?

Greetings Andy
I had the same problem with RT-N66U_380.64_2 whereby Samba shares were not recognized in AiCloud and other applications. I loaded the latest beta firmware RT-N66U_380.65_beta1-ge824757 and it fixed the problem. The beta firmware also fixed another problem whereby my media center extenders were not connecting.

I have a tiny problem with UPnP Media Server of the router (RT-AC68U) and my Sony Television after updating to Merlin 380.64_2 (factory reset and manual configuration from scratch).

I have had Media Server called "Asus" (= Media Server Name) configured all the time, and two usb thumb drives (containing mp4-files) attached to the router. When I open my television, select the Media Player and choose Video, I can see the Asus Server OK and it is "Connected". And I can play the video files. No problem.

But when I reboot or shut down the router (I use to turn off my router quite often, when I am not home etc.) and open the television later, the Media Player of my Sony televison shows two or maybe several Asus Servers listed. The status of one of these is "Connected" and the other(s) are "Disconnected". When I look at the info of these Asus Servers, the "Connected" one has IP 192.168.1.1, and those marked "Disconnected" have no IP address (= IP: -)

The "Connected" Asus Server works OK, no problem. And I can manually delete these "extra" non-working Asus Servers from my TV menu as they appear. And re-scan the available Servers. But they keep coming back all the time, seemingly after turning off the router and turning it on again. Seems like my Asus Server of the router changes a bit after every reboot and television will see and list it as a new Server available?

With earlier firmware versions (mainly non-Merlin ones) I haven't never seen this problem.

edit: Noticed that when I run the Server Diagnostics from menu of my Sony television, the uuid key (UDN) of that "Connected" Asus Media Server gets changed after every reboot of the router. Is this normal? IP address and MAC (of the router) and TCP port (8200) won't change.

edit2: Installed 380.65_beta2. It didn't fix the problem.

Last edited:
Update: I made new tests, on both RT-AC68U something is wrong, so many of things that I wrote below, are wrong:)
----------
Hi, I tried to dig in into my problems with Safari, and could not find anything (Safari is hanging, not opening all gui website of router, taking all memory..). Maybe you would have any ideas. I tested this version on 2 routers (rt-ac68u both), one of them works now without problems, and my home router is still problematic:
-both have same version clearly installed (cleared nvram using button in interface)
-both are configured similar (differnt networks, different clients, but everything besides is the same)
-only differences:
-problematic: bootloader 1.0.2.1, HW acceleration Enabled (CTF only) [why is there ctf only??]
-working fine: bootloader 1.0.2.1, HW acceleration Enabled
this one sometimes only does not open all website, but refresh works fine.

I have similar problems with 2 additional rt-ac66u. All of them were upgraded in the same time with samw versions for a few years. Last 2 updates has broken something.
This working rt-ac68 had for a few years old version, now was upgraded.

But I cleared nvram, so this should has no effect..

Any ideas?
My last thought - i cleared nvram after upgrade and then configured it, without clearing cache in browser. So maybe something last i cache and was written again to router? Crazy thought but...
I cleared now cache, but those 3 models (1 rt-ac68u and 2 rt-ac66u) drives me crazy...

Last edited:
You shouldn't backup setting that may have problem. It's likely that you will get the same problems when you restore back that setting. Normally, I backup it when I fleshly configured the router(less likely to have problems) so that when there is a problem, I can get back to it.

No issues here with Safari 10.0.2 and my AC87U and N66U - make sure you clear your cache and accept the Cert. See post #2 to have the cert save until the next firmware update and have it stored in the keychain. If that still doesn't fix your issue you may need to reset the router back to factory and setup manually or use John's tool here to backup and then restore: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r24.19521/

I have cleared nvram and configured from beginning, but still...

Hi, I tried to dig in into my problems with Safari, and could not find anything (Safari is hanging, not opening all gui website of router, taking all memory..). Maybe you would have any ideas. I tested this version on 2 routers (rt-ac68u both), one of them works now without problems, and my home router is still problematic:
-both have same version clearly installed (cleared nvram using button in interface)
-both are configured similar (differnt networks, different clients, but everything besides is the same)
-only differences:
-problematic: bootloader 1.0.2.1, HW acceleration Enabled (CTF only) [why is there ctf only??]
-working fine: bootloader 1.0.2.1, HW acceleration Enabled
this one sometimes only does not open all website, but refresh works fine.

I have similar problems with 2 additional rt-ac66u. All of them were upgraded in the same time with samw versions for a few years. Last 2 updates has broken something.
This working rt-ac68 had for a few years old version, now was upgraded.

But I cleared nvram, so this should has no effect..

Any ideas?
My last thought - i cleared nvram after upgrade and then configured it, without clearing cache in browser. So maybe something last i cache and was written again to router? Crazy thought but...
I cleared now cache, but those 3 models (1 rt-ac68u and 2 rt-ac66u) drives me crazy...

Well, the changelog says:

- CHANGED: Improved webui performance, by caching large static
Javascript files such as jquery, and increased cache
life from 5 mins to 1 hour.

So something definitely changed in the WebUI with 380.64. That combined with some nasty Safari bug can cause the hangs you describe.

Have you tried updating to the latest iOS/macOS and see if it persists? I, for one, don't have the issue (iOS 10.2.1, macOS 10.12.2)

Hello,
I have 380.64_2 on my RT-N66U router and I already asked about wifi radio problems. I made a hard reset and configured everything by hand, as it was suggested. But the problem with both wifi radios is still there. Even if I can see my wifi networks I can't connect to any. After router restart I have no problem for some time. I saw that at least one other user here with the same router has this problem. Does anybody know how to resolve this? What should I do/try?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Well, the changelog says:

So something definitely changed in the WebUI with 380.64. That combined with some nasty Safari bug can cause the hangs you describe.

Have you tried updating to the latest iOS/macOS and see if it persists? I, for one, don't have the issue (iOS 10.2.1, macOS 10.12.2)
Yes, I have everything with new version.. I updated my post, on all my devices I have problems, both rt-ac68u and not only on one of them, and on both rt-ac66u. Besides, I changed my Mac in the meantime to completely new, made fresh install (not from time machine) and have the same troubles...
I need to dig deeper, because even when something is wrong with webui, it should not hang whole safari...

I got a brand new Asus RT-AC68U at work.
Installed this latest stable merlin firmware.
Im running a screen resolution of 2560x1440 and i get a strange graphical glitch.
see image
d8S2AkV.png

If i make my browser a bit smaller it goes back to fine again.
see image
eIitvlV.png

This is in chrome latest version.

But in Internet Explorer there is no problem.
See image
6ffdYhd.png

// McFrojd

I got a brand new Asus RT-AC68U at work.
Installed this latest stable merlin firmware.
Im running a screen resolution of 2560x1440 and i get a strange graphical glitch.
see image
d8S2AkV.png

If i make my browser a bit smaller it goes back to fine again.
see image
eIitvlV.png

This is in chrome latest version.

But in Internet Explorer there is no problem.
See image
6ffdYhd.png

// McFrojd

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...ta-is-now-available.36868/page-12#post-304320

So Google Chrome has broken pages with their latest release ........... have you told their developers ?

Issue - usb drive not working on this firmware (RT-AC87U Firmware 380.64_2 and HDD 3.0 500gb)

Jan 27 00:26:45 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: WARN: short transfer on control ep
Jan 27 00:26:45 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: WARN: short transfer on control ep
Jan 27 00:26:45 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: disable burst on ep 1
Jan 27 00:26:45 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: WARN no SS endpoint bMaxBurst
Jan 27 00:26:45 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: disable burst on ep 2
Jan 27 00:26:45 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: WARN no SS endpoint bMaxBurst
Jan 27 00:26:45 kernel: usb 1-1: Not enough bandwidth for new device state.
Jan 27 00:26:45 kernel: usb 1-1: can't set config #1, error -28

What i can do to resolve this? Thanks.

P.S. I just remov HDD and reboot the router, in case it's dragging the bus down for some reason.
I think USB3 (front side port) mounted as usb2. Its USB file transfer speed over Wi-Fi 5GHz still up to 200 Mbps (max usb2 rate). Am I correct?

Last edited:
I am having random reboots. I first noticed it with 380.65 and flashed back to 380.64_2 but it is still happening. This has me totally perplexed. I tried flashing Asus 380_4180, clearing my nvram, reflashing 380.65, flashing back to 360.64_2 and then using nvram utility from John9527. What am I missing? My setup is pretty vanilla.

I am having random reboots. ... What am I missing? My setup is pretty vanilla.
Crash/Reboot on Linux based devices is often forced by memory shortage: Are you using any of the "advanced" features from USB-Applications, AiCloud or AiProtection? Then a swap file could help to extend the memory... :rolleyes:

In very rare cases, a faulty cabling could also cause this kind of reboots.

If not software/memory shortcoming then only a hardware failure could be the case... :oops:

I am having random reboots. I first noticed it with 380.65 and flashed back to 380.64_2 but it is still happening. This has me totally perplexed.
Also check your modem logs to see if there is an upstream problem at the same time. I've seen cases where things get so confused on the upstream side they can cause a router reboot.

Crash/Reboot on Linux based devices is often forced by memory shortage: Are you using any of the "advanced" features from USB-Applications, AiCloud or AiProtection? Then a swap file could help to extend the memory... :rolleyes:

If not software/memory shortcoming then only a hardware failure could be the case... :oops:
I am using AI protection. Have downgraded to 380.63_2. The syslog has also been set to log everything. Cables should be okay but I suppose it's not impossible that it may be an issue but no changes recently.

Also check your modem logs to see if there is an upstream problem at the same time. I've seen cases where things get so confused on the upstream side they can cause a router reboot.
Nothing in the modem log that correlates to the rebooting issue. Have downgraded to 380.63_2. Waiting game now.

It was a hardware issue. The router died a horrific death yesterday morning. RIP RT-AC87U.

I'm afraid the issue was hardware related. The router died on me yesterday morning. On a positive note I got the RT-AC3100 that I have been hankering for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!