What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Since the most recent update (RT-AC88U) I've had all kinds of issues with WiFi devices at range, most specifically on the 2.4ghz band.

5ghz was also very strong throughout (ring doorbell was on this band originally) but that band now becomes unusable unless I'm more or less on top of it.

Same router with the same problem. Though my 2.4 Ghz band has always been lousy do to overcrowding, my 5 Ghz band used to be great no matter what the channel. Now I need to use 48 or lower because the router has problem "hearing" devices on 5 Ghz. The devices themselves have no problem "hearing" the router, but the router shows one bar of signal strength.

This doesn't seem to affect most devices, but my iPad can no longer connect on those higher channels unless I'm within a few feet of the router. Strangely once I connect I can wander away and it will stay connected, sometimes even at full speed. I can't find any rhyme or reason, but rebooting the router seems to help.

Up until flashing 380.65.2, I never had a problem with 5 Ghz set to "Auto". Maybe I was lucky and it was always using lower channels, but that seems unlikely considering I've toggled Auto off a number of times and it always picks 142 or higher.

Nothing else has changed recently.

Hi!

Updated to 380.65.2 my RT-AC68U. I've been with Merlin for a long time and I've never had this messages in syslog:

Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!

what does it mean? And how can I fix it?

Thanks !.

I have a ASUS N66U router running 380.65 fw. I run selective routing to SmartDNSproxy using openvpn. Everything works perfect, expect "start with wan". When i check the "start with wan" box and reboots, the router starts up and the green light indicates that the VPN tunnel is up. But the VPN tunnel is not up - there is no connection to wan over the tunnel via the remote server. Manual start of the tunnel works like a charm. Any idea what could be the problem ?

Hey guys,

I need help!

I’m trying to migrate from Tomato to Merlin 380.65_2. I have an ASUS RT-AC68U Router that won’t go into Recovery / Rescue mode. I’ve tried everything conceivable:

- Standard Protocol: Hold ‘Reset’ Button while Plugging-in Router
- DWRT 30/30/30 trick
- SSH clear nvram
- Holding WPS button instead of Reset button

Nothing works!

Any ideas???

Thanks!

- DWRT 30/30/30 trick
There is NO 30-30-30 "trick" on Asus routers - why this myth does not go away? :oops:
See NVRAM/factory default reset info for details on the CORRECT reset of Asus routers.
Did you carefully follow the instructions for the recovery mode? Especially waiting until the Power LED at the front panel flashes slowly and setting the static IP address on the PC...

Than you have to use the ASUS Firmware Restoration tool from the utility download page to load the new firmware.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I need help!

I’m trying to migrate from Tomato to Merlin 380.65_2. I have an ASUS RT-AC68U Router that won’t go into Recovery / Rescue mode. I’ve tried everything conceivable:

- DWRT 30/30/30 trick
- SSH clear nvram
- Holding WPS button instead of Reset button

Nothing works!

Any ideas???

Thanks!
See this thread:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/t...d-while-flashing-from-tomato-to-merlin.29077/
I'm not sure if it's useful or not.

380.65_2 for AC3100 is horrible. Causes my 5GHz to drop randomly. Did a fresh install and setup everything again from scratch. Reverted back, and everything seems fine.

Edit: MU-MIMO and Airtime fairness are always disabled for me just fyi.

Last edited:
There's been no wireless changes (and very little changes overall in fact) with 380.65_2. If you are having wireless issues, try the usual recommendations: disable MU-MIMO and Airtime Fairness.

It's got to be something that was changed in 380.65_2

I've used every version, including Beta's and I haven't changed settings very much. Airtime Fairness was always on for me and didn't cause these very frequent lockups.

I think you'll find that everyone here is in the same boat as me.

Also, because the wireless isn't dropping on the laptop and comes good after some time it might indicate that it's not specifically being caused by the wireless driver.

I'm happy to replicate the problem when I have some time tomorrow hopefully.

380.65_2 for AC3100 is horrible. Causes my 5GHz to drop randomly. Did a fresh install and setup everything again from scratch. Reverted back, and everything seems fine.

Edit: MU-MIMO and Airtime fairness are always disabled for me just fyi.

If you have the 5 Ghz channel set to Auto, change it to 48 or lower. That's what worked for me.

If you have the 5 Ghz channel set to Auto, change it to 48 or lower. That's what worked for me.
Also try channels 149 through 165. I can't use the lower channels in my area.
I have "Airtime Fairness" on and it does not seem to interfere with my wifi though I am in "Bridge" mode now. I have used it in router mode and no prob with my 5ghz.
What all the experts on here will tell you is make sure that you other computers and devices have the latest drivers.

Also try channels 149 through 165. I can't use the lower channels in my area.
I have "Airtime Fairness" on and it does not seem to interfere with my wifi though I am in "Bridge" mode now. I have used it in router mode and no prob with my 5ghz.
What all the experts on here will tell you is make sure that you other computers and devices have the latest drivers.

For me with the latest update I could not connect to my AC88U with channels 149 and up unless I was within a few feet of the router.

I have 4 days of uptime on my RT-AC88U, had zero issue with a 2 hours video stream to my Chromecast last night, neither with my laptop's wifi that was used a few times throughout the past few days. No issue either with my Nexus 9, done a fair amount of web browsing on it last night...

There is issues with 380-65_2 with Asus Ac3200
The webui is not responding as before it's freezing and very slow at times

Wifi also speeds has dropped both with 380.65_0 and 380.65_2
I used to get 340 mbps its now peaking at 190 mbps

The webui is ok with 380-65_0 it loads fine and not freezing

Something is definite wrong with firmware 380-65_2 with Asus AC3200

RT-AC3200 here. Everything was gravy for me until I updated from 380.65 to 380.65_2. Now it seems like the connections are dropping at random intervals. It's hard to describe. In my browser I'll just see "Resolving host..." forever. Wait 30 seconds and pages will load fine. Consoles that are streaming video will suddenly display network connection errors.

I'm suspicious that it has something to do with 380.65_2, because I was experiencing no problems before that upgrade that I did yesterday, which is the same day that issues popped up. MU-MIMO and Airtime fairness are set to whatever the defaults are and I haven't changed those settings one way or another. I'm running Adaptive QoS and Smart Connect, both of which have been running for a few weeks now, but that's about it, nothing fancy going on about my config. Using Google DNS servers.

My two cents: it doesn't seem to be a wifi issue per se. None of these devices are showing indications that the wifi has actually dropped. If my PS4 were to lose wifi all together, it would pop up a notification. This isn't happening. Actual apps/games on the PS4 are reporting intermittent network problems, though.

The devices on the network are staying connected to the router's wifi, you just can't actually use the internet sometimes. In fact, even hitting the router config web ui is impossible during these spurts.

Is it safe to flash back to an earlier version?

Is it safe to flash back to an earlier version?

Yes.

So far, with one notable exception, complains seem mostly related to the RT-AC3200. I'd want to point out that the RT-AC3200 builds are currently hacked together, as Asus failed to provide the closed source components for that model for quite some time. So all the recent AC3200 builds are using older components, with one manual patch I had to apply to make it work with newer GPL code (such as the 3831 code used by 380.64/65/65_2). I suspect that the fact that issues mostly show up with 380.65_2 might be a coincidence, and that this hack'n'patching involved might be the root cause.

Fortunately, GPL 7266 provides all the missing binary components for all models. Unfortunately, some people experience WAN stability issues with 7266, which is currently stopping me from pushing out a new stable release based on it. RT-AC3200 owners might still want to give the 380.66 alpha build a shot, especially as the WAN issue seem to only happen to a small number of people (in my case, it was perfectly stable for the 1-2 weeks that I ran 380.66 code, so once again that's something that I just can't troubleshoot).

Another known issue with 7266 is for people in countries that implement ErP (for example the EU region). Some people's devices end up being stuck in power saving mode. I don't know how widespread the issue is, I haven't seen anyone report the symptoms Asus mentionned to me surrounding that specific issue.

There is issues with 380-65_2 with Asus Ac3200
The webui is not responding as before it's freezing and very slow at times

Wifi also speeds has dropped both with 380.65_0 and 380.65_2
I used to get 340 mbps its now peaking at 190 mbps

The webui is ok with 380-65_0 it loads fine and not freezing

Something is definite wrong with firmware 380-65_2 with Asus AC3200

RT-AC3200 here and I see none of the issues you describe.

If a power reset doesn't help try a factory reset and start again.

RT-AC3200 here. Everything was gravy for me until I updated from 380.65 to 380.65_2. Now it seems like the connections are dropping at random intervals. It's hard to describe. In my browser I'll just see "Resolving host..." forever. Wait 30 seconds and pages will load fine. Consoles that are streaming video will suddenly display network connection errors.

I'm suspicious that it has something to do with 380.65_2, because I was experiencing no problems before that upgrade that I did yesterday, which is the same day that issues popped up. MU-MIMO and Airtime fairness are set to whatever the defaults are and I haven't changed those settings one way or another. I'm running Adaptive QoS and Smart Connect, both of which have been running for a few weeks now, but that's about it, nothing fancy going on about my config. Using Google DNS servers...............

Please tell us where you have found MU-Mimo settings in your AC3200 ?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!