What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So i got strange issue I not sure what is causing it. img link bellow

ponder.jpg

This on the desktop with nothing open see task manger show constant activity everything else shows no activity, Other then TCP connections

Now I have Disconnect Cable modem, activity remains in taskmanger others show nothing, IF i reboot router the activity stops till it up again. so the activity isnt coming from the internet so something from router is constantly sending to systems? I check wifi systems on win 10 they showing same behavior when idle and doing nothing.

I never seen such activity before, and Process Explorer networking graph,TCPview all show no network activity.

Performance monitor is only thing that show Network constantly getting hits, everything else show nothing internet is being received

seeing as wireless system doing this , I thinking when I check the other wired pc it will be doing it too, Only thing that stops this is IF i connect modem direct to pc the constant spikes end after make the initial connection, or rebooting router.

Already check system for malware virus and rogue processes there are none. did something change in fw? still using 380.65 prior fw was 380.64, I do complete reset any time I do fw update

Last edited:
After updating to 380.65-2 I can no longer access Hotmail.com. Never a problem before. Reverting back to 380.65-0...works again...

Follow up to my previous post,

Its the fw causing it, I gona try and explain this best I can with out confusing my self and merlin, All the computers where showing the above behavior wired and wireless when idle and not internet connection is active, So uninstall nic/wifi drivers and reinstalled new ones, didnt fix issue, I then ran systems in safemode issue still was there, I connect cable modem direct to computers issue stoped I only got the random spike here and there like usual when idle.

From there I thought router so i factory reset 380.65 issue remained, So I installed 380.65_2 factory reset issue was still there, I then reinstalled 380.64 factory reset, and bam the constant spikes are gone, I only get the usual spike here and there like I always did when systems were idle and had no internet connection active.

I then noticed the constant spikes only happen when I am logged into router, same exact spikes that were constant when nothing was open and nothing was using the internet with 380.65's soon as I log out and close browser the spikes gone again. and dont come back till I log into router.

Its almost like the router thinks some one is loged in all the time in 380.65 series when no one is? one way or another something change in 380.65 series to cause these constant spikes that 380.64 dont cause.

I will remain on 380.64 for time being as that constant spikes on all systems wifi or wired make kind hard too see what actual hit the network with receives, *this behavior is only picked up on windows task manager process explorer network graph and tcpview, built in eithernet status page and other show nothing no clue why*

one way or another something change in 380.65 series to cause these constant spikes that 380.64 dont cause.
Try disabling the DNS probes in the Tools/Tweaks section in the 380.66 alpha builds or
on 380.65

nvram set dns_probe_content=
nvram commit

Anyone having problems with the 5ghz wifi? Mine would be unresponsive after a day or 2 and I have to reboot the router for the 5ghz to work again as it would take a long time to load a webpage. When this happens I can switch over to the 2.4ghz band and the web page would load right away. I'm getting very good signal as I'm only a few feet away from my router in the next room. I tried setting the 5hgz on auto channel as well as choosing a channel like 60/153 but same results.

Using:
Merlin 380.65
RT-AC87U
did factory reset and setup manually

try reverting back to 380.64_2 and see if problem still exists.

Try disabling the DNS probes in the Tools/Tweaks section in the 380.66 alpha builds or
on 380.65

nvram commit

I just found the real cause, because it started again, IT the 5ghz wifi, IF it is enabled and every thing closed and thing connected the spikes are there IF i disable 5ghz wifi and close everything out the spikes are gone, if login and enable 5ghz again and log out and close everything the spikes are gone. These spikes are happen to all connections when 5ghz is enable and things connected.

I will test 380.65 series at later date if disable 5ghz fix it i tried of fw and reseting settings for now.

I will test the above though.

Updated to newest build over wireless connection without a problem. Had problem with upload afterwords. Power-cycled both Cisco EMTA and Asus RT-AC68U after which all was good. Asuswrt Merlin is an awesome custom firmware. Used Tomato before, and now I'm a Merlin convert. :)

nvram commit

Does not fix it issue remains if 5ghz is enabled everything on network gets those spikes, I will go threw all the device connect to 5ghz and see if it one them causing it

I tried loading 360.65_2 onto my AC3200 and noticed severe webui slowdowns and even timeouts trying to save settings or access other parts of the UI. Internet access was also affected. It would work again after a minute and then start doing it again. Did the proper flash procedure (Upload new firmware...wait 4 mins...manually reset router...Factory Defaults). Tried 380.65_2 a second time with the same results. Went back to 380.65 and all is fine.
I noticed the same when I updated to 360.65_2 with my AC3200 so I also end up reverting back to 380.65.
Webui slow to load and client info not loading or very slow to slow and not all clients showing even though connected to the router and some webpages slow to load.
Something not right with the firmware for the AC3200 with 380.65_2

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...65-is-now-available.37295/page-23#post-313002
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...65-is-now-available.37295/page-23#post-313121
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...65-is-now-available.37295/page-23#post-313131
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...65-is-now-available.37295/page-23#post-313135

Above are all the post on the issue of constant spikes shown in task manager network window. The problem is solely coming from the 5ghz radio, it not the devices that connected to it, as I switch all them to 2.4ghz problem remained I went I disable 5ghz radio and the spikes are gone, Why 5hz is causing constant spikes in receiving on all device wired and wireless is beyond me. and I not sure which fw at this point started this, providing it is the fw and the some issue with 5ghz radio, for now I will disable 5ghz have everything run of 2.4ghz, would be nice if merlin can look into the 5ghz and see what is causing it fixed when they can, and if other can respond to this and see if they see the same behavior in 5ghz enabled on AC66U

I freaking hate tech and dish networks software engineers.... I went threw all this crap just to find out it happen ONLY when the Hopper 3 connects to either 2ghz or 5ghz soon as that connects the spikes start. I have new reason to hate there updates, one of there recent updates caused this.

I started seeing these in the logs today. What are they? I'm using 360.65_2.

On a side note there appears to be something wrong with the 5 Ghz network now. If I have it set to Auto it tends to pick a high channel such as 149 or above and for some reason when it does, my iPad Air 2 can no longer connect to 5 Ghz. It refuses to accept the password.

Mar 13 02:40:43 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 03:42:20 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 03:44:11 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 04:00:04 kernel: net_ratelimit: 3 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 05:54:53 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 05:57:15 kernel: net_ratelimit: 2 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 06:03:18 kernel: net_ratelimit: 2 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 06:04:41 kernel: net_ratelimit: 2 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 06:09:17 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 06:10:46 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 06:18:15 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 06:18:35 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 06:28:14 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 07:13:57 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 07:42:25 kernel: net_ratelimit: 3 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 08:02:19 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 08:06:41 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 08:07:48 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 08:11:45 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 08:14:13 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 08:35:31 kernel: net_ratelimit: 2 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 08:36:49 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 08:37:07 kernel: net_ratelimit: 2 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 08:45:01 kernel: net_ratelimit: 3 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 08:52:30 kernel: net_ratelimit: 6 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 08:54:58 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 09:10:32 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 10:57:36 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 16:05:20 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 17:27:31 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 19:31:11 kernel: net_ratelimit: 3 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 19:31:37 kernel: net_ratelimit: 1 callbacks suppressed
Mar 13 19:40:08 kernel: net_ratelimit: 2 callbacks suppressed

Last edited:
Okay something appears to be wrong with the 5 Ghz receiver.

My devices show a strong signal, even with higher channels, but the RT_AC88u Router shows 1 signal bar even when right next to the router.

I didn't have problems on 380.65 at higher channels, but my iPad won't accept the password and refuses to connect at for any channel over 48 even when right next to the router.

Edit:

I ended up rebooting everything (including cable modem) because I also lost IPv6. When things came back something was very messed up and I ended up having to unplug and replug the coax from my modem to get things working. I'm still leaving the channel set to 44 as channels over 48 now have frequent problems "hearing" my devices. This never used to be an issue.

Last edited:
Its almost like the router thinks some one is loged in all the time in 380.65 series when no one is?
thank you. I thought I might be a tad bit out there thinking exactly this. there were times the router let me in with no authentication, or spits out garbage, or both. Thought it might be Firefox until it happened on Android tablet with Chrome browser.

Hi Merlin & all,

I'm having problem with DHCP Server page on AC3100. It takes more than 5-10 min to load all static IP clients on FF (they won't show up at all on Edge or Chrome). If I change anything I couldn't press Apply button. Looks like the button is frozen or smth. How can I fix it? Belows are the steps I did to get static IP

1. Flashed from 380_64_2 to 380_65 then did a factory reset
2. Configured everything from scratch w/ settings similar to my other RT-AC68U
3. Used John's save NVRAM utility to save dhcp_staticlist from the AC68U running John's fork v22E4
4. Populated dhcp_staticlist to the AC3100, then do "nvram commit" & restart

Thanks!

Also occasionally 2.4GHz channel completely lost connection. All clients still showed normal connect symbol but couldn't access to the internet at all. Only a reboot would fix it. Is this a problem with this firmware version only? TiA

There's been no wireless changes (and very little changes overall in fact) with 380.65_2. If you are having wireless issues, try the usual recommendations: disable MU-MIMO and Airtime Fairness.

There's been no wireless changes (and very little changes overall in fact) with 380.65_2. If you are having wireless issues, try the usual recommendations: disable MU-MIMO and Airtime Fairness.
Out of interest when was the last changes made in relation to WiFi?

Since the most recent update (RT-AC88U) I've had all kinds of issues with WiFi devices at range, most specifically on the 2.4ghz band.

Even got to the point where I dug out my old RT-N66U just to get a WiFi signal to my RING PRO doorbell (crazy I know) and that cuts out too!!. I also tried an AC Wireless extender just for the bell...that was a total waste of time.

Prior to this (I was on up to date ASUS firmware rather than Merlin) I had no issues with WiFi in my house & nothing has changed within the property.

5ghz was also very strong throughout (ring doorbell was on this band originally) but that band now becomes unusable unless I'm more or less on top of it.

I've tried the usual culprits (channel change etc) and have since followed up with turning off MU-MIMO & Airtime fairness.

I'm at a loss.

Ponder a full reflash but not sure if that would help in any way.

Appreciate any advice or questions.

Toon

[...]
I'm at a loss.
[...]
Toon

Hi!

i recently had a similar problem - my connection drops were caused by a bad HDMI cable running nearby (solution was to switch to displayport).
A year ago i had speed drops caused by an USB-3-hub (here a clip-on ferrite was enough).
So maybe check and deactivate any other devices around your router to test that?

Other ideas: run around with a notebook and check wireless noise and SNR at different places. Maybe something else is interfering with your wireless. Reducing channel bandwidth from 80 to 40 MHz (5GHz) helped here too.

~ all the best

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!