What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.68 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

One thing I noticed,

If I turned "Enable Web History" to "ON"

It will have all devices web history, even though the switch was on the "OFF" position during that time period.

Is web history supposed to be actively logging in the off position? Might explain some CPU usage.

Only thing I really have on is Adaptive QOS.

No idea, Web History is handled by the Trend Micro engine.

Hello,
I have AC88U with ftth configuration (movistar in spain).with 380.68 version
But since last update i have hangs in wifi. The 5ghz wifi dissapears and only appears de 2.4ghz. After a few minutes (more than 10) the 5ghz apears again
:-O

The router is literally NEW. My last ac88u broken (the secondary swithc stops work) last week and amazon send to me a new one. I made a backup of the router and restore in the new one.

5Ghz died shortly after the first power up on the third AC88U I bought. I saw the LED indicator dim from white to no color in a few seconds. No matter if I tried stock or Merlin FW, the damn thing would not work. Also, it would not give me a list of channels to select from in the web gui. I reloaded stock FW and returned it for a replacement. There are enough complaints on the web about 5ghz and AC88U. I think ASUS has a bad batch of AC88Us out there. My suggestion is to return it. The first two I bought had no issues. I would still recommend this router since I have had no other issues and ASUS stood by their product.

When it comes to backup and restore of nvram on the router, I strongly suggest this utility:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r25a.19521/
The time it takes to set it up is worth it and will save you a lot of grief. It has me.

Last edited:
It has been working well overall, but noticed VERY sluggish performance in Web UI after enabling OpenVPN Client. Maybe related new version.

Love using Merlin over Asus firmware but newer firmware comes out more often. Do I really have to update all time to Newer Merlin firmware?

Testing an L2TP vpn client connection on an AC1900 with 380.68 shows up as connected after rebooting the router but there is no traffic; a manual re-connection then is required to resume network traffic.
Can anybody reproduce this behavior?

Love using Merlin over Asus firmware but newer firmware comes out more often. Do I really have to update all time to Newer Merlin firmware?

The release rate hasn't really changed over the years, it's still around one release every 4-8 weeks, not counting important security releases.

Look at the changelog, you'll see if there's anything important enough to justify updating. Look especially at any fixed security issues that is listed. In general, unless it's purely a bug fix release that does not affect you, it's safer to stay up to date, for security reasons.

A couple minor UI issues. Running on RT-AC87
I flushed my browser when I installed.

-Network Place samba share cloud disk tab
I couldn't change two of the options on an iPhone, iPad, or an android phone
1.) Enable SMB2 protocol
2.) Simpler share naming

Found this odd, so I tried all the other options with the same checkbox system and found these to be the only ones. The same options where easily changed on a normal computer.

-qos wan packet overhead
The pull down menu always goes back to "select preset"
However, value (18) assigned with my chosen preset (docsis) persists, so I don't believe it is causing any performance issues

Upgraded my RT-AC5300 from .67. Everything went smoothly, but I noticed one issue:

I have a Brother DCP printer connected via USB and access it on my Windows 10 machine via LPR (as per the instructions). After upgrade, I can no longer connect to the the printer or print from it.

Tried rebooting router. No luck.
Tried rebooting windows. No luck.
Removed printer from windows, reinstalled via LPR. No luck.

I'm not sure if something changed, but this has me a bit perplexed. I can't use the Asus EZ Printer utility because the vuhub.sys driver causes BSODs in Win8+ (search on the forums here and in the Asus forums).

Anything else I can try? Thanks!

Interesting, looks like 382 is landing for some models as of today 2017/08/29:

ASUS RT-AC3100 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.15850
GPL of ASUS RT-AC3100 for firmware 3.0.0.4.382.15850

ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.15850
GPL of ASUS RT-AC88U for firmware 3.0.0.4.382.15850

Doesn't look like 382 has landed for any other asuswrt-merlin supported models yet.

But anyways, the "fun" begins :)
At least RMerlin has at least 2 more 382 GPL bundles to look at.

Last edited:
@doczenith1 - I have upgraded two AC68U yesterday from 380.67 to 380.68 and I didn't experienced that radios were disabled, maybe it was some code from previous versions (did you do reset to factory defaults, between firmware updates?)
I think the last time I did a factory reset was possibly after 380.64_x to 380.65_x. I haven't had any issues so haven't performed a reset. As I said, probably just a quirk. Thought I'd post just in case others had the issue. It gave me a minor scare before I realized that the radios just needed to be turned back on.

Interesting, looks like 382 is landing for some models as of today 2017/08/29:

ASUS RT-AC3100 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.15850
GPL of ASUS RT-AC3100 for firmware 3.0.0.4.382.15850

ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.15850
GPL of ASUS RT-AC88U for firmware 3.0.0.4.382.15850

Doesn't look like 382 has landed for any other asuswrt-merlin supported models yet.

But anyways, the "fun" begins :)
At least RMerlin has at least 2 more 382 GPL bundles to look at.
seems intresting
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac88u-firmware-version-3-0-0-4-382-15850.40936/

qos wan packet overhead
The pull down menu always goes back to "select preset"
However, value (18) assigned with my chosen preset (docsis) persists, so I don't believe it is causing any performance issues

Working as intended. This pulldown merely apply a preset that configures two separate settings, it's not an option on its own. Its similar in how the preset dropdown works on the port forwarding page.

I restarted my AC88U through the UI and then was toggling airtime fairness off and on a few times to test things. When I was done I noticed IPv6 was no longer working so I figured I'd toggle that off and on. Once I turned it off though I could no longer access the router or the Internet. I had to power off the router and power it back on again. After that I could access it and turn IPv6 back on (which then worked, though it took a few minutes to do so).

This isn't the first time the router lost all LAN network access when disabling IPv6.

How big is the problems with the Astrill applet...

..does it affect the Astrill UI only or more?

..is the Astrill applet still usable (ie it just looks ugly) or functions are missing/not working?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

The applet wont even work, it doesn't show and it messes up the rest of the UI so I had to uninstall it so the UI should work properly. I am using their openvpn config file instead. I opened a ticket with astrill and they said it could take them months to update their applet very frustrating

@RMerlin Just ran a site survey, to see if I can set some fixed channels for both bands, and noticed only surrounding 2.4Ghz networks are shown. Is that on purpose or isn't it possible with Asus to show both bands? With my previous collection of Netgear equipment I was able to scan both bands, just had to flip a switch, if I recall correctly.

All ISP's here in The Netherlands only provide dual band routers nowadays and most, if not all, have both radios active by default. Even my neighbours 5Ghz network (which I've set up myself) and is actually less than 2 meters away, on the other side of the concrete wall, doesn't show up in the survey, but dozens of 2.4Ghz troughout the entire neighborhood show up. (As some people apparently choose their home address - abbreviated, but nevertheless still recognizable) as SSID, I was actually surprised to see the large range that the site survey was able to find networks at).

I tried active and passive scan mode, switched to 5Ghz band on the Professional tab (left of the site survey tab) prior to scanning, but nothing I tried showed surrounding 5Ghz networks.

Is it because the 5Ghz range is limited, or did I miss a switch somewhere, or ....?

Thanks in advance!

I'm hoping the fix for https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2017-9417 can be backported from 382 as that's a critical vulnerability that's ridiculously easy to exploit.

There has been a thread on this issue about a month ago:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...n-broadcoms-wi-fi-chipsets.40388/#post-338271

Still wondering whether our routers are vulnerable too, as the reports somehow only seem to be constantly referring to mobile Android and iOS devices, even thoug the Broadcom BCM43xx chipset can be found in many, many other devices, besides mobile devices and our routers... Not sure whether it is even an vulnerability for our routers, maybe @RMerlin knows more in the meantime.

@RMerlin Just ran a site survey, to see if I can set some fixed channels for both bands, and noticed only surrounding 2.4Ghz networks are shown. Is that on purpose or isn't it possible with Asus to show both bands? With my previous collection of Netgear equipment I was able to scan both bands, just had to flip a switch, if I recall correctly.

All ISP's here in The Netherlands only provide dual band routers nowadays and most, if not all, have both radios active by default. Even my neighbours 5Ghz network (which I've set up myself) and is actually less than 2 meters away, on the other side of the concrete wall, doesn't show up in the survey, but dozens of 2.4Ghz troughout the entire neighborhood show up. (As some people apparently choose their home address - abbreviated, but nevertheless still recognizable) as SSID, I was actually surprised to see the large range that the site survey was able to find networks at).

I tried active and passive scan mode, switched to 5Ghz band on the Professional tab (left of the site survey tab) prior to scanning, but nothing I tried showed surrounding 5Ghz networks.

Is it because the 5Ghz range is limited, or did I miss a switch somewhere, or ....?

Thanks in advance!
MarCo,
I see my 5ghz channels on the site survey for two routers. It is probably the issue of 5ghz trying to pass thru the concrete wall. Try one of the wifi phone apps and see what it reports for comparison purposes.
EDIT: Just noticed that on one radio, the channel is set to 153. The site survey lists it as 149. When I go to properties in windows. it says it is 153. My phone says 153. Something is off. I will play around with it to see where the issue may lie.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!