What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.68 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Don't know why, feels like buffers getting full, but with .68 version after a full reboot 68U starts to slowly slow down. Each day goes by through put gets less and less. Boot. Back to being fast. Then slowly, slows down, slows down, slows down, until I realize I need to boot again.

Did not do that with any previous version.

Boot clears it up for awhile which is why to me it feels like some buffer getting filled up.

Don't know why, feels like buffers getting full, but with .68 version after a full reboot 68U starts to slowly slow down. Each day goes by through put gets less and less. Boot. Back to being fast. Then slowly, slows down, slows down, slows down, until I realize I need to boot again.

Did not do that with any previous version.

Boot clears it up for awhile which is why to me it feels like some buffer getting filled up.

Much as a fresh install of Windows usually gives a PC a new lease of life, a restore to factory default settings (RFDS) probably is your best move, especially given no other clues.

Do you have any exotic stuff running on the router, anything plugged in the usb drives? If you're naturally reluctant to RFDS, you might try turning off any extra services and fancy stuff, rebooting to a fairly basic set of settings and seeing if that helps. If not, RFDS?

What I personaly miss from the Web UI settings are the two following things:
  1. QoS Settings → Bandwidth Limiter choose a Guest Network to set limits.
  2. Parental Controls → Time Scheduling set time Scheduling per Guest Network.
I set up the AC87U router for a restaurant owner with the merlin firmware. I made a Guest Network for the guests of the network. I felt a bit disappointed that I could not limit the bandwidth of the Guest Network.

"Do you have any exotic stuff running"

Nope. Never have. I checked the flush buffer setting it was set to flush the buffer periodically. I could be wrong of course. Sure feels like something getting full and needs to start over. The boot does so.

mmm that's not a new release it's the one that has been there for years and not working with clearing cache. I already opened a ticket and they said they are working on a new release but this sounds the opposite to what they said :S

I will try to re-install and restore factory settings and report back

UPDATE: I take it all back, they are right it's now working! Thanks!!

Working for me - it had already auto-updated, so when I updated to 380.68, it worked straight away.

HOWEVER, I'm finding that my old Astrill OVPN files arn't working - I get a TLS connection error ?????

I thought their server might be down, but it has been 24 hours now.

Applet connects no problem at all.

HOWEVER, I'm finding that my old Astrill OVPN files arn't working - I get a TLS connection error ?????

Not entirely sure (as I don't use it myself), but I think I've seen it mentioned a few times in this thread...

Working for me - it had already auto-updated, so when I updated to 380.68, it worked straight away.

I thought their server might be down, but it has been 24 hours now.

Applet connects no problem at all.
Contact their tech support and mention you are using OpenVPN 2.4. You possibly need to change a few parameters in it that are no longer supported.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

i am losing the will to live....hope you can help me.

only on apple devices . all new less that two years old...when they connect to the router they are only getting 1meg up and down?

2015 Imac main pc, 2017 Iphone 7+ and 2016 Ipad air

android i get full speed 150 down 10up

i have not changed any setting apart for the wireless names

i have just installed this over the latest stock, then done factory reset and still the same....HELP PLEASE

Last edited:
i have just installed this over the latest stock, then done factory reset and still the same....HELP PLEASE

Did you do a power cycle after the factory reset? Left it unplugged for a while to make sure cached values where actually gone?

Have you changed anything besides going through QIS when you powered up the router after the power cycle?

Have you tried rebooting another time after it had some time to settle?

I've never had any of the issues you mention with my iOS devices. With the most current Apple device I own (iPhone SE) I'm pulling 155 Mbit down and 16 Mbit up over the 5Ghz network when running Ookla Speedtest (150/15 are the limits of my plan), so you should be able to achieve much better results than your current up and downstream.

Did you do a power cycle after the factory reset? Left it unplugged for a while to make sure cached values where actually gone?

ill try this now, factory reset and leave without power for 10 mins and give it a go...thanks for the info.

now can't log back into router via Imac....timing out....have to reset on router . :(

ill try this now, factory reset and leave without power for 10 mins and give it a go...thanks for the info.

now can't log back into router via Imac....timing out....have to reset on router . :(

No need to reset, just turn it off and power it on. Make sure the iMac is connected to the right network. Try using 192.168.1.1 instead of router.asus.com and if you have any graphic glitches after logging clean your cache or force a complete reload (not just refresh) as there have been many changes regarding the WebUI.

To get my laptop to connect at its highest speed possible, 300mbs, I had to disable this setting in its wireless card advance config: Dynamic MIMO Power Save. If left enabled I'd only get 150. I did not have to do so in previous versions.

Took some time in trial and error testing to isolate it. But that's the setting. Enable I go to 150. Disable I go to 300.

I had to disable this setting in its wireless card advance config: Dynamic MIMO Power Save.

That sounds more like a power-saving feature on your laptop, as higher speeds use more energy. These kind of energy saving features are usually automatically enabled/disabled when on battery or when connected to a power plug.

Could it be you previously tested this, with higher speeds, while connected to a wall plug and noticed the lower speed now while working on battery? By disabling this feature your battery will most likely last shorter compared to having it being toggled automatically. It would surprise me if this has something to do with the current release, as it's basically your wireless NIC that´s capping maximum speed.

As on contrary to what changelog determines, problems with SMBv2 are not fixed.I haven't had this with 380.65. I'm on 380.68_1 currently.
DavidEBSmith did report this with 380.67.
I'm still getting in logs:
Code:
Sep  3 17:44:48 smbd[3061]: [2017/09/03 17:44:48.207745,  0] smbd/negprot.c:706(reply_negprot)
Sep  3 17:44:48 smbd[3061]:   No protocol supported !
when trying to access smb shares on router from windows 7,8,10 client with disabled SMB1 protocol. Same thing happens when I set "min protocol = SMB2" in global section of smb.conf and try to access from Windows client with enabled SMBv1.
I found this doc on the particular problem.
So Samba supports SMBv2 but cifs.ko does not thus negprot.c 706 error, because Samba can not negotiate SMBv2 with the kernel. But why I did not have this problem with 380.65?

Last edited:
As on contrary to what changelog determines, problems with SMBv2 are not fixed.I haven't had this with 380.65. I'm on 380.68_1 currently.
DavidEBSmith did report this with 380.67.
I'm still getting in logs:
Code:
Sep  3 17:44:48 smbd[3061]: [2017/09/03 17:44:48.207745,  0] smbd/negprot.c:706(reply_negprot)
Sep  3 17:44:48 smbd[3061]:   No protocol supported !
when trying to access smb shares on router from windows 7,8,10 client with disabled SMB1 protocol. I found this doc on the particular problem.
So Samba supports SMBv2 but cifs.ko does not thus negprot.c 706 error, because Samba can not negotiate SMBv2 with the kernel. But why I did not have this problem with 380.65?
Which router

cifs.ko has nothing to do with Samba, it's only used if you try to mount a remote CIFS filesystem from the router itself. SMBv2 does work properly with Samba:

Code:
Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-SmbConnection

ServerName ShareName UserName       Credential     Dialect NumOpens
---------- --------- --------       ----------     ------- --------
STARGATE88 Share     CAMELOT\Merlin CAMELOT\Merlin 2.0.2   2

Which router
RT-AC68U. I do not know what happened. It started to work now with SMBv2. Thanks.
I have R7000 also and SMBv2 does not work on it. It only works on SMD dialect 1.5. But I have to post on xvrt forum,right?

Last edited:
I'm on 380.68_1 currently.

380.68_1? Where did you find that :rolleyes:? Can't seem to find it on MediaFire for the RT-AC68U, the Test Builds folder is empty and the Beta folder contains a 380_68 beta build prior to the final. Also the changelog you're referring to is the changelog for 380.68_0. Typo or did I miss something :eek:?

Since you have a AC68U and R7000 I think you are just getting the version # mixed up.

Vortex has released 68_1
Merlin has not current is 68_0

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!