What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.10 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That's what I meant by other services.

The only thing that was changed tied to network is quagga. I'll need to check if Moviestar uses it to configure special routes.

Talking with the user rromeroa about the iptv issue on private conversation he have the exact problem that i have. We think (we could think wrong because our knowlenge is limited) that could be that iptv vlan dont use properly the iptv dns, could be something with dnsmasq?

MovistarTV is working partially on a RT-AC87
I can see tv channels but deco is unable to load the app so I cannot access to VOD contents. It claims "connection problems".
I've tried with two different decos.

Reverting to 384.9 everything works.

The RT-AC87U has a different architecture, most likely the new field added for other models isn't properly hidden on that model.

Power cycle your router.

Turned off/turned on - now 2.4GHz light is off. Looks like my router is broken. I've also tried different firmware versions.
Is there any chance to get some logs for the wi-fi modules just to check the status prior to initiate the warranty process?

Hi

Im on 384.8_2, going to attempt update to 384.10 at weekend, I will reset after update and manually re enter all my settings.

@L&LD, I have read some of your guides above, what does this do and is it something I should do. I have never done it before, I have just reset the router after an update via the GUI (initialise), changed settings and rebooted. Is it something you should do at least once after an update and reset or more so if you have issues?
  • Format JFFS partition at next boot: Yes.

Thanks

Talking with the user rromeroa about the iptv issue on private conversation he have the exact problem that i have. We think (we could think wrong because our knowlenge is limited) that could be that iptv vlan dont use properly the iptv dns, could be something with dnsmasq?
By description, the changes in DNS behavior can't influence, but you can at least try to change this one:
Changelog said:
- NEW: You can now choose between having your router do internal
DNS queries locally (through dnsmasq) or with your WAN
configured DNS (like stock firmware). This does not
affect DNS lookups from your clients, only those made
by the router itself. The option is under Tools ->
Other Settings. (Themiron)

Dirty flashed 384.10 over Beta 3 on an AC86U, AC68P, and AC3200, all without issue. Updated everything as needed through amtm with all services running, including OVPN. Have verified TLS 1.3 is functioning overall and also with the ASUS management sites. Great job with the last several builds!

Dirty flashed my ac-5300 from 384.9 to 384.10.

Only "issues" [easily fixed] was ...
  • needed to reinstall sftp server [ opkg install openssh-sftp-server ] to get it to work [essentially updated it and corrected its dependency on new version OpenSSL included with this release];
  • Something broke Stubby - so had to uninstall and reinstall to get it to work properly again [sorted];
384.10 uses about 2% more RAM than 384.9 - no big deal.

Many THANKS again @RMerlin :D.

Turned off/turned on - now 2.4GHz light is off. Looks like my router is broken. I've also tried different firmware versions.
Is there any chance to get some logs for the wi-fi modules just to check the status prior to initiate the warranty process?

No, not much gets logged wifi-wise.

Try a complete power cycle (turn the router on and off without the power adapter plugged in) to reset the internals.

Here is the official Asus support page for the issue.
[Troubleshooting] WiFi LED light is not ON
https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1030643/#

The main thing is to make sure you did not accidentally turn off the Wifi by pressing the button on the outside of the router. If that doesn't work, then factory reset.

Quagga was broken in 384.10, so if Moviestar relies on quagga for routes, that would be why.

Not sure if that wil work or if a new firmware image will be required to properly test it, but just in case try running the following:

Code:
rm /etc/zebra.conf && service restart_quagga

See if it helps, otherwise you will have to wait until I find some time to build test images with the fix in place.

Thank you for the update to 384.10. Working fine on our Router and access points that run this firmware.

Folks, in the unlikely event you are having an issue with these updates, please remember to follow RMerlin's advice to completely power cycle your device after updating. You will be amazed at how many of the issues reported here resolve after power cycling.

Hope that Asus knows and appreciates how much value RMerlin adds to these routers.

Notes:

• Please note that the https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/ website will be down a few hours on March 26th as my hosting provider migrates some of their customers to a newer server. This won't affect the downloads, which are stored on Sourceforge and Onedrive, or the update notification which is hosted on a separate VPS.
  • For now I have decided to move the dnsmasq error messages into Debug priority, to at least hide them from view. I've given up for now on fixing it, but since apparently stock firmware is also affected, hopefully Asus's devs will be able to pick this one up.
  • This release resolved the issue where OpenVPN key/certs might sometimes end up stored in nvram (in addition to their proper jffs location), which would result in a lot of wasted nvram. I have also removed the nvram instances of these nvram values, to save even more nvram. To clean up your router, you can run the following script:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

echo "Removing unused cert/key from nvram..."

for i in 1 2 3 4 5
    do
       nvram unset vpn_crt_client$i\_ca
       nvram unset vpn_crt_client$i\_extra
       nvram unset vpn_crt_client$i\_crt
       nvram unset vpn_crt_client$i\_key
       nvram unset vpn_crt_client$i\_crl
       nvram unset vpn_crt_client$i\_static
    done

for i in 1 2
    do
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_ca
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_dh
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_ca_key
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_extra
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_client_crt
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_crl
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_crt
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_key
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_static
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_client_key
    done

nvram commit

echo "done."

If I run this script after installing 384.10, will I need to reinstall all client and server certificates authories, keys, and hashes?

From AsusWRT 384.9 and now at 384.10 the "DownloadMaster" is missing. Will that be maintained again?
Its a newly introduced Asus bug only they could solve in next firmwares, have a look here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-download-master-crippled-in-384-9-asuswrt-merlin-fw.55724/
Workaround-solution could be found here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/resolved-rt-ac86u-download-master-disabled.55170/
Howto in #7: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/resolved-rt-ac86u-download-master-disabled.55170/#post-470009

Last edited:
Movistar working well at 384.9, but when I stopped the quagga service, then I have same issues as 384.10

Thanks. Will hold off from going back to movistar.
BTW the new router modem can it be put in bridge mode easily and what about the phone?Do we lose it?

Have tried three times after downloading but after flashing it still shows 384.10 beta 3. Wonder if anyone else has this problem.
What router do you have? A common problem is people with AC68 accidentally downloading AC86 firmware and vice versa. :) Double check you downloaded the correct firmware.

If I run this script after installing 384.10, will I need to reinstall all client and server certificates authories, keys, and hashes?

No. It will only remove the unused variables from nvram, all key and certs are now stored in the JFFS partition.

Movistar working well at 384.9, but when I stopped the quagga service, then I have same issues as 384.10

Then it's highly likely to be the cause. A more semi-permanent fix would be to create the following init-start user script (untested):

Code:
#!/bin/sh
rm /etc/zebra.conf
service restart_quagga

Dirty upgrade from 384.8_2 on a RT-AC88U and RT-AC68U (AP). Both working with no issues for 20+ hours.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!