What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi telUK,

These are my settings under Wireless and Professional.

5GHz

Control channel: 44 (manually set)
Channel bandwidth: 20/40/80 mhz

Under Professional settings:

Airtime fairness: disabled (disabled by default in Merlin)
Universal beamforming: disabled (leave 802.11ac Beamforming enabled)

2.4GHz

Control channel: 6 (manually set)
Channel bandwidth: 20mhz (manually set)

Turbo QAM: disabled
Beamforming settings: disabled (both)

Thanks very much, that is exactly what I have disabled currently, apart from Turbo QAM, not sure what that does. I also have channels set manually.

Thanks very much, that is exactly what I have disabled currently, apart from Turbo QAM, not sure what that does. I also have channels set manually.
It enables higher non-standard modulation speed QAM-256 (MCS8/9), few clients support it and only nearby router, usually could only cause troubles.
Similar to QAM-1024 (MCS10/11) in 5G.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me if this happens to them.

In the network device log, (window that displays all connected devices), the display is not stable, wifi devices vanish and reappear constantly. They are not disconnecting. I can't get an idea of what devices I have connected because they keep vanishing and reappearing randomly.

Does anyone notice this, its been like it for ages for me.

Yep the connected device list is worthless on Asus routers as mentioned been broke for a long time and they wont fix it.

known bug since long time ...
Yep the connected device list is worthless on Asus routers as mentioned been broke for a long time and they wont fix it.

Thanks for confirming, I do remember it being ok at some point but can't remember what firmware I was on, it was ages ago that it was last working, not a big issue but annoying when you want to have a quick look to see what is connected.

@RMerlin - re: - CHANGED: Allow selecting text (for copy/paste operations) on AiProtection pages.

I assume this is because I asked.

pretty-hearts-flying-up-animated-gif.gif

Thanks for confirming, I do remember it being ok at some point but can't remember what firmware I was on, it was ages ago that it was last working, not a big issue but annoying when you want to have a quick look to see what is connected.
I recently discovered that the command ip neigh will show you connected devices. Does not show the description though

Code:
192.168.2.165 dev br0 lladdr fd:b1:93:83:85:9f REACHABLE

So I see some posts about the Tmobile router model....how does one tell if they happen to have a converted/hacked TM-AC model then? Would it say in the router info page in the firmware?

I bought an "RT-AC68U" off Ebay...it came in some white box. But the factory printing on the front upper right says "AC1900" . (my older unit has "RT-AC68U imprinted on it) Does not have any Tmobile sticker on it.
Think its a Refurb unit as it has not the original model info printed on the factory implanted sticker on the back as my older AC68U has that i bought at a store. Instead, this one has a random small white sticker stuck to the base of the unit that says "90 Days Warranty". I had flashed Merlin 384.5 on it, and set it up at my Grandparents house a couple weeks ago.

Last edited:
So I see some posts about the Tmobile router model....how does one tell if they have they happen to have a converted/hacked TM-AC model then? Would it say in the router info page in the firmware?

I bought an "RT-AC68U" off Ebay...it came in some white box. But the factory printing on the front upper right says "AC1900" . (my older unit has "RT-AC68U imprinted on it) Does not have any Tmobile sticker on it.
Think its a Refurb unit as it has not the original model info printed on the factory implanted sticker on the back as my older AC68U has that i bought at a store. Instead, this one has a random small white sticker stuck to the base of the unit. I had flashed Merlin 384.5 on it, and set it up at my Grandparents house a couple weeks ago.

My AC68U is an original and this is the stamp on the front. I hope it helps.

Attachments

• 7E9A5746-DEE2-4AA9-B490-A3611D549300.jpeg
    7E9A5746-DEE2-4AA9-B490-A3611D549300.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 566
usually they come in the T-mobile branded housing, so you would easily see it on the router. Probably seldom that someone makes the work to change the housing.

Hi telUK,

These are my settings under Wireless and Professional.

5GHz

Control channel: 44 (manually set)
Channel bandwidth: 20/40/80 mhz

Universal beamforming: disabled (leave 802.11ac Beamforming enabled)

2.4GHz

Control channel: 6 (manually set)
Channel bandwidth: 20mhz (manually set)

Turbo QAM: disabled
Beamforming settings: disabled (both)

Thanks so much for this. My RT-AC86u wasn't even hitting 20Mbps and would drop speed on every speed test until I applied these settings. Now I get the full 150Mbps down and 15Mbps up!

I have merlin 384.6 installed but I don't see the setting Turbo QAM under the Professional settings for 2.4GHz. Under Modulation Scheme there is a drop down for "up to MCS 11 Nitro QAM/1024-QAM set as default

Thanks so much for this. My RT-AC86u wasn't even hitting 20Mbps and would drop speed on every speed test until I applied these settings. Now I get the full 150Mbps down and 15Mbps up!

I have merlin 384.6 installed but I don't see the setting Turbo QAM under the Professional settings for 2.4GHz. Under Modulation Scheme there is a drop down for "up to MCS 11 Nitro QAM/1024-QAM set as default
You’re welcome. Glad it worked out for you! :)

I believe Nitro QAM is a similar setting as Turbo QAM. Probably a different name, with higher specs? Someone here would have to confirm that.

@RMerlin please add this option "Strict DNSSEC" that Fork has to stop/disable using Strict mode, in DNS server as cloudflare or any other, does not work when you enable DNSSEC.
Only DNS.WATCH or Quad9 support the new DNSSEC version or DNSSEC is broken in this version 384.6
n5jyV8w.png

Last edited:
@RMerlin please add this option "Strict DNSSEC" that Fork has to stop/disable using Strict in DNS server that fail as cloudflare. (1.1.1.1)
I'm definitely not a dnssec expert, but I've done a couple of things....
- In my fork beta, I patched the useless dnsmasq 'Insecure DS....' syslog to include the failing domain
- When I check those failing domains at https://dnssec-debugger.verisignlabs.com/ they are indeed shown as broken/misconfigured

Net, I'm no longer sure which is right....is Cloudflare just being 'strict' about dnssec and the other servers are making some assumptions about misconfigured sites.

@RMerlin please add this option "Strict DNSSEC" that Fork has to stop/disable using Strict mode, in DNS server as cloudflare or any other, does not work when you enable DNSSEC.
Only DNS.WATCH or Quad9 support the new DNSSEC version or DNSSEC is broken in this version 384.6
n5jyV8w.png

Cloudflare + dnssec + dns rebind protection, working fine for me. No ‘dnssec’ errors in router log.
Quad9 also fine.

But, add dnscrypt, using Cloudflare DoH, & I get a lot of dnssec errors. Can’t access a number of sites, Wikipedia being one!

Cloudflare + dnssec + dns rebind protection, working fine for me. No ‘dnssec’ errors in router log.
Quad9 also fine.

But, add dnscrypt, using Cloudflare DoH, & I get a lot of dnssec errors. Can’t access a number of sites, Wikipedia being one!
I live in central Canada and use Dnscrypt with DoH and DNSSEC with rebind protection pointed at CloudFlare 1.1.1.1 and I have zero errors in the log and everything tested and working. On a daily basis. So I know CloudFlare in Canada is just fine...:rolleyes:

Is the newly added Enable DNS Rebind protection feature giving the same level of protection as the DNS rebind protection that OpenDNS provides?? If it's identical then great! It'd be good to no longer need OpenDNS and just rely on the router to do the job.

Edit: Has anyone experienced any quirks or stability issues with it? I use the AiProtection DNS-based filtering; I have enabled "Global Filter Mode: Router" and also in the client list set a few devices to use some Custom (user-defined) DNS. Will this play nicely together with DNS Rebind Protection? Furthermore, how would it work with an OpenVPN Server running on the router??

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!