What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It’s only been a little over 24 hours, but it looks like 384.6 fixed the memory leak I was having with 384.5. I didn’t do anything special other than flash 384.6 on top of 384.5 and the free memory on my AC-88U has been holding steady at 377 MB (more than it was under 384.5). I did reject the two agreements though.
I'm definitely seeing a memory leak still under 384.6. Forget exactly where free memory started (the cached and buffers are low, so don't anyone come saying it's just linux doing its thing - I know better)... but it's now at 80% used and the majority (surprise) is the httpd process again:

admin@RT-AC68U-77D8:/tmp/home/root# uptime
06:00:58 up 28 days, 12:18, load average: 0.00, 0.06, 0.07
admin@RT-AC68U-77D8:/tmp/home/root# free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 255700 199356 56344 0 988 10012
-/+ buffers/cache: 188356 67344
Swap: 0 0 0
admin@RT-AC68U-77D8:/tmp/home/root# grep VmRSS /proc/*/status|sort -k2 |tail -1
/proc/255/status:VmRSS: 26888 kB
admin@RT-AC68U-77D8:/tmp/home/root# ps|grep 255|grep -v grep
255 admin 29540 S httpd -i br0
admin@RT-AC68U-77D8:/tmp/home/root#

I'm sure in within another 20 days it'll OOM and crash on me. Or I guess I could just have a cron job restart the web server periodically.

I'm sure in within another 20 days it'll OOM and crash on me. Or I guess I could just have a cron job restart the web server periodically.

I've had to issue service restart_httpd twice thus far on this build in order to restore the gui...

On a forum that gets visited by Asus employees? I don't recommend it... It will only drive them into taking more drastic measures to prevent such hacks from happening in the future, which generally results in more headaches for me to deal with.

Users that are affected by this would be better to contact Asus directly and explain their case, in hopes that if enough legitimate customers complain, they might change their mind.

I have the Chinese version from joy buy and could change the region and language easily on 384.6. Will the next version be locked to Chinese?

Last edited:
I'm definitely seeing a memory leak still under 384.6. Forget exactly where free memory started (the cached and buffers are low, so don't anyone come saying it's just linux doing its thing - I know better)... but it's now at 80% used and the majority (surprise) is the httpd process again:

admin@RT-AC68U-77D8:/tmp/home/root# uptime
06:00:58 up 28 days, 12:18, load average: 0.00, 0.06, 0.07
admin@RT-AC68U-77D8:/tmp/home/root# free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 255700 199356 56344 0 988 10012
-/+ buffers/cache: 188356 67344
Swap: 0 0 0
admin@RT-AC68U-77D8:/tmp/home/root# grep VmRSS /proc/*/status|sort -k2 |tail -1
/proc/255/status:VmRSS: 26888 kB
admin@RT-AC68U-77D8:/tmp/home/root# ps|grep 255|grep -v grep
255 admin 29540 S httpd -i br0
admin@RT-AC68U-77D8:/tmp/home/root#

I’ve been up 30 days and the free memory hasn’t budged from 375 MB free.

I have a feeling that has to do with me rejecting the ASUS and Trend Micro licenses and that one of the features disabled was causing the issue. Overall the router has more memory, isn’t leaking and even the traffic analyzer is finally accurately logging traffic (used to log download as both download and upload).

ac56u- No wireless clients connected except one to a guest 2.4ghz network. It is a smart thermostat and was connected fine for weeks and today said Network Error. Restarted router through gui and thermostat has connected itself, again. Could be one time I will see if that happens once more.

Additionally there are alpha versions up for the next firmware for weeks but not for the ac56u router. Thank you.

Additionally there are alpha versions up for the next firmware for weeks but not for the ac56u router. Thank you.
The latest Asus firmware for the ac56u is 382.50624 and is already incorporated in Merlin 384.6 you’re running. Nothing more recently released from Asus.

The latest Asus firmware for the ac56u is 382.50624 and is already incorporated in Merlin 384.6 you’re running. Nothing more recently released from Asus.
Thanks. I changed the channel for the wireless and figured out how to reboot the thermostat and it is connecting again. Maybe a hardare problem with the thermostat not the wireless network.

If language can be changed to English then that is ok isin't it?
No its not, I can/must live with it, but bought a router supporting my language and now got this ...
And if you would look any further, Japan versions not even get English, so high risc that in a year I will stick on Chinese and NO cant live with that!

Folks, please keep posts in this thread on the 384.6 topic. Discussions about alpha builds were moved to a more appropriate thread.

Folks, please keep posts in this thread on the 384.6 topic. Discussions about alpha builds were moved to a more appropriate thread.
I had already been looking for a [Preview] 384.7 ... Early test build thread, but couldn't find one. Thanks for moving though, it did feel somewhat off-topic when posting.

Last edited:
Works fine for me as well-never had any issues activating this on my AC86U or RT-AC5300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bug Report: Stealth Mode doesn't work at 384.6 firmware after reboot.
I reported this bug here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...nt-work-at-384-6-firmware-after-reboot.48566/

I just put an RT-AC66U_B1 through four scheduled reboots in a row, and every single time the LEDs were properly turned off after the reboot was completed.

From a technical point of view, it makes no sense for LED state to be tied to a scheduled reboot, since the LEDs are turned off after the reboot. Therefore, it makes zero difference whether the router was manually rebooted, power cycled, or rebooted through a scheduled task.

Your issue is more likely your router failed to reboot, and got stuck during shutdown, which would be why some of the LEDs had been turned back on (this occurs during the shutdown).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!