What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is it a 68U or a converted TM-1900? If the latter, this is the behavior you’ll experience. If not, try unplugging router for a few minutes and try again.

I tried all that and a wired connection. It's a 68U. I've been using Merlin firmware since it was first released for 66 and this has never happened before.

Last edited:
I tried all that and a wired connection. It's a 68U. I've been using Merlin firmware since it was first released for 66 and this has never happened before.
Odd.

I went from 384.5 to the first 384.6 alpha without an issue, but I have an rt-ac1900p. Maybe a long shot here, but upgrade to latest Asus release and then update to 384.6?

Jul 26 09:00:25 dnsmasq[778]: using nameserver 75.75.76.76#53 for domain hsd1.il.comcast.net (no DNSSEC)
Jul 26 09:00:25 dnsmasq[778]: using nameserver 75.75.75.75#53 for domain hsd1.il.comcast.net (no DNSSEC)

Does above log entry mean Comcast has something wrong with their DNSSEC?

I too cannot update to latest firmware from 384.5 on my AC68u. Mine was upgraded from the TM-AC1900. After attempting to upload firmware, it appears to upload the firmware file, the updating progress bar goes to 100% but then it returns to the main router page. Upon router reboot, all settings are reset, but still running 384.5. I've tried updating over wifi using my chromebook, as I have done for previous updates, and I even tried via ethernet with a windows 10 machine, and still having problems.

I too cannot update to latest firmware from 384.5 on my AC68u. Mine was upgraded from the TM-AC1900. After attempting to upload firmware, it appears to upload the firmware file, the updating progress bar goes to 100% but then it returns to the main router page. Upon router reboot, all settings are reset, but still running 384.5. I've tried updating over wifi using my chromebook, as I have done for previous updates, and I even tried via ethernet with a windows 10 machine, and still having problems.

Have you tried ejecting USB devices, then rebooting, and only then trying to flash? Could be a memory problem.

I'm on a converted tmobile AC68u also. Have not had any issues with updates, but for this one it will look like it succeeds and then upon refresh show it on 384.5. Have tried doing a full reset then installing, same issue.

for all of you gents and ladies on the converted tmobile routers - asus has introduced code preventing use of their mainstream firmware on these routers and they aren't supported on snb anymore. best bet is to google it - i'd say more, but the moderators are pretty good at taking it down.

for all of you gents and ladies on the converted tmobile routers - asus has introduced code preventing use of their mainstream firmware on these routers and they aren't supported on snb anymore. best bet is to google it - i'd say more, but the moderators are pretty good at taking it down.
Why aren't they supported anymore? Mine's branded with ASUS right on the front.

I'm on a converted tmobile AC68u also. Have not had any issues with updates, but for this one it will look like it succeeds and then upon refresh show it on 384.5. Have tried doing a full reset then installing, same issue.
People that have TM-AC1900 are going to have trouble flashing. Even if they never did before. Asus has implemented new hardware checking and that device will not update on account of it. My advice is seek help from outside of this forum. Putting Asus-merlin on a TM-AC1900 is illegal.

Why aren't they supported anymore? Mine's branded with ASUS right on the front.
Shrug

I personally disagree with it. Next someone will be telling me i can't use wrt on my routers, or update vulnerable code on it, or i have to use their operating system on my phone.....oh, never mind :)

Those who rule the spice, rule the world

Now back to our regular programming - no problems on my ac68 and ac88 routers.

Last edited:
People that have TM-AC1900 are going to have trouble flashing. Even if they never did before. Asus has implemented new hardware checking and that device will not update on account of it. My advice is seek help from outside of this forum. Putting Asus-merlin on a TM-AC1900 is illegal.

False, Asus is breaking the law. They have no legal right to void your warranty or take any legal action for using third party parts or software.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...language-like-nintendos-and-sonys-is-illegal/

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title15-chapter50&edition=prelim

Update, I was able to update to latest merlin build, after fixing the md5 partition.

I apologize if I broke any forum rules on this subject, I was not fully aware of the situation and thought it was an unknown issue with the latest merlin firmware.

Last edited:
How did you get it to work on this model?

Unfortunately, my original, detailed reply to you was deleted by the mods---c'est la vie. You can Google the instructions for the needed steps to manually upgrade to 384.5 using Putty and WinSCP, which, as mentioned, allowed me this go-round to upgrade to 384.6 without issue.

Upgraded AC3100 from Beta to Final release, all good! Thanks Merlin.

Upgraded both 86U and 68U from 384.5 to 384.6. Both upgrades went smoothly. However, on the 86U I see this message in the log:

kernel: nf_conntrack: automatic helper assignment is deprecated and it will be removed soon. Use the iptables CT target to attach helpers instead.

Any idea what it means?

Jul 26 09:00:25 dnsmasq[778]: using nameserver 75.75.76.76#53 for domain hsd1.il.comcast.net (no DNSSEC)
Jul 26 09:00:25 dnsmasq[778]: using nameserver 75.75.75.75#53 for domain hsd1.il.comcast.net (no DNSSEC)

Does above log entry mean Comcast has something wrong with their DNSSEC?

Comcast's DNS in general support DNSSEC (they were one of the first to do so). There could be something wrong with that particular DNS server. Unfortunately with Comcast there's no real way to pick a DNS server as they route to the closest one automatically.

I'll mention that DNSSEC is working fine for me and I'm on Comcast.

Does the new AC87U firmware that just appeared help at all, or does its (really annoying) 382-ness count against it?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!