What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I wonder if anybody else has seen the SSIDs on the 5GHz band are taking significantly longer to appear than SSIDs on the 2.4ghz band. Since they don't become available simultaneously my devices can't choose to auto connect to 5ghz network. Is the ASUS broadcasting it's presence less often for 5ghz?
I have always had this issue on all versions (am on 384.5 currently). The 2.4 always shows up earlier then the 5. I just set my devices to exclusively auto join the 5.
5G has to be scanned for radar and there are much more channels to be listened to for proper channel selection. Maybe other reasons too but I think these are enough to be slower up and running.

5G has to be scanned for radar and there are much more channels to be listened to for proper channel selection. Maybe other reasons too but I think these are enough to be slower up and running.

I suspected something along those lines, just takes longer to scan. Notice the same behaviour in different branded routers as well. Doesn’t bother me ever since I changed the auto-join setting on my devices. :)

I wonder if anybody else has seen the SSIDs on the 5GHz band are taking significantly longer to appear than SSIDs on the 2.4ghz band. Since they don't become available simultaneously my devices can't choose to auto connect to 5ghz network. Is the ASUS broadcasting it's presence less often for 5ghz?
If you have enabled the DFS channels on 5GHz then it is a requirement that the router listens for at least 60 seconds to make sure the channel is clear. If you disable DFS the 5GHz radio should come up at the same time as 2.4GHz.

If you have enabled the DFS channels on 5GHz then it is a requirement that the router listens for at least 60 seconds to make sure the channel is clear. If you disable DFS the 5GHz radio should come up at the same time as 2.4GHz.
how to enable/disable DFS-channels?
Never seen such on 68U/86U.

I can set EU and able to use ch. 36-64 and 100-144 but dont have this on neither router.
I don't know about the 86U's (the China ones seem a bit odd), but on my 68U you have to set the control channel to Auto to see the option.

Untitled.png

Alternatively, manually setting the channel to a non-DFS one should eliminate the startup delay.

how to enable/disable DFS-channels?
Never seen such on 68U/86U.

If it's there, it's on the Wireless > General tab, in the Control Channel section (visible when set to Auto):

Xmj2sza.png

(EU version)

thanks, interesting, on my stock 86U set to region EU it even uses ch. 100 but no enable box for it.

upload_2018-9-14_14-58-54.png

thanks, interesting, on my stock 86U set to region EU it even uses ch. 100 but no enable box for it.

View attachment 14419
how do u even change Region inorder to enable all the wifi channels?
I dont see a "Region" setting in the Wifi pages.
Does that break anything or require a reset to do or undo?

edit: Found this https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...less-router-reviewed.42195/page-9#post-412345

Seems the unlocked channs cant be useed in 80mhz mode,if i am reading that post right : 52-64 100-112 116 132-140

how do u even change Region inorder to enable all the wifi channels?
I dont see a "Region" setting in the Wifi pages.
Does that break anything or require a reset to do or undo?

edit: Found this https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...less-router-reviewed.42195/page-9#post-412345

Seems the unlocked channs cant be useed in 80mhz mode,if i am reading that post right : 52-64 100-112 116 132-140
Chinese version 86U only allows to select a region in Wifi-prof tab (look at the last line). Than it would perform like a router limited to this selected region.
You can use 52-64 and 100-112 as 80MHz, 116 and 140 as single and 132-136 as 40MHz bandwith.
upload_2018-9-14_21-37-0.png

Last edited:
So. I decided to finally do it. Upgraded my old AC68U 1st gen model I bought right when it came out...to a AC86U.

Flashed 384.5 and ran tests. Then flashed 384.6. No issues with LAN to WLAN/WLAN to LAN speed issues like i had on the 68U.

AC88U just suddenly stopped responding to all traffic again and I had to power cycle it. That’s 7 days after this last happened. Prior to that it had been up for over a month.

Any idea why this is happening?

AC88U just suddenly stopped responding to all traffic again and I had to power cycle it. That’s 7 days after this last happened. Prior to that it had been up for over a month.

Any idea why this is happening?

My RT-AC3200 had very similar thing just happen in the last 2 days. Internet would work but I couldn't access router via browser, yet could access it via WinSCP. Last browser login just before this happened, looked like the routers core2 was at 100% cpu usage. Nothing in the logs to highlight anything.

My RT-AC3200 had very similar thing just happen in the last 2 days. Internet would work but I couldn't access router via browser, yet could access it via WinSCP. Last browser login just before this happened, looked like the routers core2 was at 100% cpu usage. Nothing in the logs to highlight anything.

In my case both WAN and LAN traffic wasn’t responding despite the LEDs flashing on the router.

I have been having reboots on 384.6, was just browsing the internet when suddenly I lost connection.

Happened twice this week so far.

Is this a known issue?

Wishing you a fast recovery hang tight god will take care of you he will make you a stronger person

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!