What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RT-AC1900 is supported , a TM1900 (a TMobile router) is NOT supported.
so no mention of TM-AC1900 on that page then. someone could add that in a sentence in bold, because most just read/look for ac1900 and assume it's all good. When I first flashed merlin on mine, I didn't even check the supported devices list, I just went off by others saying that's what they did to their TM-AC1900s. So I think that's where the confusion all started.

I just read the TM-AC1900 was never actually supported, that's news to me after having merlin on mine for over a year lol oh well, I'll continue to mtd-write2 newer firmwares until it explodes :p

Block routed clients if tunnel goes down: yes?
If set to No the vpn could behave like that..
Try change to No and apply then Yes apply
Reboot and test again
What happens in system log when killswitch is activated
Change log verbosity to 5
Hope you can get some clues there?
I'm sorry for not being able to provide more help
ok so Ive done all that so I'll now have to wait until my router has the problem again
and thanks for all your efforts in trying to help me resolve the issue

ok so Ive done all that so I'll now have to wait until my router has the problem again
I have found that if you set block routed traffic of tunnel goes down to no and hit apply and then switch the VPN client off It works as it should without needing a reboot.
The problem is definitely with the kill switch but at least I’ve found a work around that saves me rebooting for now.

What would be the best/easiest way to log a reboot issue on a 86U?

I've set the log level to debug/all but don't see anthing in the log just before the reboot.

Getting more or less a reboot a day for some reason or another.

I've had this before occasionally when connected to the router as a VPN server but now it is more frequent.

Thx

so no mention of TM-AC1900 on that page then. someone could add that in a sentence in bold, because most just read/look for ac1900 and assume it's all good.

I didn't even check the supported devices list,

You just said yourself you never even checked the list, why would it matter if I wrote for the hundreth time that it's not supported? Sorry for being blunt, but this is getting ridiculous. It's never been on the supported list anywhere, there's even a frigging sticky post right at the top of this very forum, in addition to a FAQ post that also mentions it, and it's been repeated multiple times within this thread, yet people STILL come in and complain that they can't flash their RT-AC68U-oh-btw-it's-not-an-rt-ac68u-but-a-tm-ac1900.

People need to stop just blindly writing to the forums, and start doing some reading too.

I couldn’t agree more!! And I so wish that there was a setting next to each post that all of us could click and save in various customized folders for future reference!!! I like saving/watching threads but I am thinking having quicker access to some of these great posts would definitely be useful not only to those who are new at networking but everyone.

@thiggins—would this be possible in the future?
Just set browser bookmarks, or save links to your device.

Since upgrading from 384.5 to .6 (no reset/clearing nvram) my LG TV (70UH6350) loses its WiFi connection to my 5G network on a RT-AC68U. Haven't tried troubleshooting yet, just plugged in a wire for now so I could continue watching TV. Both 2.4 & 5 networks are still available at that moment because my other devices stay connected on 2.4 & 5 and are able to send/receive traffic.

Wondering if anyone has run into this or something similar, or if it's an unfortunate coincidence with my TV's WiFi going on the fritz.

What would be the best/easiest way to log a reboot issue on a 86U?

I've set the log level to debug/all but don't see anthing in the log just before the reboot.

Getting more or less a reboot a day for some reason or another.

I've had this before occasionally when connected to the router as a VPN server but now it is more frequent.

Thx

I upgrade from 384.4_2 to 384.6 faced the same problem of random reboot issue for 86U
I tried downgrading back to 384.4_2 and the issue still persist.
Did the initialize every time after flashing the firmware still have the random reboot issue.
Any advise on what item i can check also?
Now i try the lastest Asus stock firmware to see whether the issue persist

Last edited:
Just set browser bookmarks, or save links to your device.
Agree, that's what the permalink in the post # is for isn't it?

Since upgrading from 384.5 to .6 (no reset/clearing nvram) my LG TV (70UH6350) loses its WiFi connection to my 5G network on a RT-AC68U. Haven't tried troubleshooting yet, just plugged in a wire for now so I could continue watching TV. Both 2.4 & 5 networks are still available at that moment because my other devices stay connected on 2.4 & 5 and are able to send/receive traffic.

Wondering if anyone has run into this or something similar, or if it's an unfortunate coincidence with my TV's WiFi going on the fritz.
My OLED65B7 has always been dicky on 5ghz (as have older LGs to my knowledge) I Only ever run mine on cable now, but previously, it worked on 2.4 just fine.

ok so another occurence has happened this afternoon for the vpn to disconnect and even though "blocked routed clients if tunnel goes down" is enabled my router has reconnected to my ISP and revealed my true IP address and servers ( IPleak.net)

For some reason I am unable to upload a small syslog.txt file so hopefully here is a link
https://ufile.io/1dvd2

I'm hoping someone can work out what is happening

Last edited:
ok so another occurence has happened this afternoon for the vpn to disconnect and even though "blocked routed clients if tunnel goes down" is enabled my router has reconnected to my ISP and revealed my true IP address and servers ( IPleak.net)
While you are in this state, log in to the router and post the output of
ip rule
ip route show table main
ip route show table ovpnc1

(obscure your WAN ip address in the ip route output)

ip rule
ip route show table main

(obscure your ip address in the ip route output)
thanks, I'm here now .....how do I enter the commands you mention ?
sorry, I don't know !

ip rule
ip route show table main

(obscure your WAN ip address in the ip route output)
think I sussed it !

/tmp/home/root$ ip rule
0: from all lookup local
32766: from all lookup main
32767: from all lookup default

/tmp/home/root$ ip route show table main
82.17.72.1 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link
192.168.1.0/24 dev br0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.1
82.17.72.0/22 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src xx.xx.xx.xxx ( my full ISP ip address)
127.0.0.0/8 dev lo scope link
default via 82.17.72.1 dev eth0

/tmp/home/root$ ip route show table ovpnc1
didn't return anything

think I sussed it !
You got it!

but that's definitely not what I expected (or should be there). That output doesn't show that the VPN was ever active.

When you say the 'VPN disconnects', what exactly happens. What is in the syslog for the event?

You got it!

but that's definitely not what I expected (or should be there). That output doesn't show that the VPN was ever active.

When you say the 'VPN disconnects', what exactly happens. What is in the syslog for the event?
If I have my VPN connected via the router and for example I am using my PC everything seems to be OK and an IP checker will show my VPN provided IP address. (PIA)
When the VPN "disconnects" by itself I simply lose internet access for a few moments and then it is back , but this time an IP checker shows it to be my ISP's IP address .

If I look at the VPN client in Merlin GUI then it shows as Service Stopped.

I ran the commands with the VPN disconnected ( ie after it disconnected itself and then reconnected itself to my ISP. If you need me to run these in a different state please let me know.

For some reason I am unable to upload syslog.txt but I have put a link to it here >> https://ufile.io/1dvd2

My guess looking at the log ( and I needed Notepad++ to make any sense of it) is that the disconnect occurred at 15.36

many thanks for your assistance btw

@pusb87 It looks like your cable modem rebooted. I see you're a Virgin Media customer. Log into the VM Hub and checks its network log to confirm whether it did restart.

@pusb87 It looks like your cable modem rebooted. I see you're a Virgin Media customer. Log into the VM Hub and checks its network log to confirm whether it did restart.
@pusb87
Agree with Colin that your modem probably rebooted. This caused a wan restart on the router. Do you have 'Start with WAN' set to Yes on the VPN client page? (I see you are using client3)..

Also, what is the status of the other client instances? (I don't see any evidence they are active, just wanted to check).

@pusb87
Agree with Colin that your modem probably rebooted. This caused a wan restart on the router. Do you have 'Start with WAN' set to Yes on the VPN client page? (I see you are using client3)..

Also, what is the status of the other client instances? (I don't see any evidence they are active, just wanted to check).
@john9527 @ColinTaylor

The VM router is in modem mode and this is all that showed in the network log >> https://ufile.io/nyrrg
so quite a few critical and warning events, but they don't seem to match up with the times in the merlin syslog ??

I only run one client at a time and predominantly use client 3
I don't see that option 'Start with WAN' on the VPN client page ??

guess as a minimum I should reboot the VM hub...
again, thanks for your help

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!