What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just put an RT-AC66U_B1 through four scheduled reboots in a row, and every single time the LEDs were properly turned off after the reboot was completed.

From a technical point of view, it makes no sense for LED state to be tied to a scheduled reboot, since the LEDs are turned off after the reboot. Therefore, it makes zero difference whether the router was manually rebooted, power cycled, or rebooted through a scheduled task.

Your issue is more likely your router failed to reboot, and got stuck during shutdown, which would be why some of the LEDs had been turned back on (this occurs during the shutdown).

Thanks all for testing this issue.

Using manual reboot, stealth mode works great. However, when I use "Reboot Scheduler", it has problem.
Now, I downgrade to 384.5 and then this problem is never occurred.

Please follow the below to experience LED issue.
  1. Update to 384.6
  2. Turn On Stealth Mode (all LEDS off), every LED are turned off. Works great at that time!
  3. Turn On Reboot Scheduler
  4. Router will reboot automatically because the Reboot Scheduler works, only the WAN (Internet) LED is blinking. Another is still turned off.

I tried to solve this issue.
  • Initialize/Factory Reset router included NVRAM clean. -> Cannot solve.
  • Try another model. RT-AC88U/RT-AC68P -> Same issue. It doesn't matter about model.
  • Downgrade to 384.5 -> Solved!

I confirmed that 384.6 has Stealth Mode bug when Reboot Scheduler turns on. Also, another person mentioned same problem:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-6-is-now-available.47941/page-12#post-420899

Many helpers said that only yours router has problem. So, I will update at 384.6 again and then I will try to check it whether there is same issue. I am going to post message here.

Thanks!

Router will reboot automatically because the Reboot Scheduler works, only the WAN (Internet) LED is blinking. Another is still turned off.

Please re-read my explanation. This has absolutely nothing to do with Stealth Mode. Your router is simply stuck in its shutdown.

All my four tests were also done using a scheduled reboot.

Please re-read my explanation. This has absolutely nothing to do with Stealth Mode. Your router is simply stuck in its shutdown.

All my four tests were also done using a scheduled reboot.
Any advice as to what causes a stalled shutdown? I've had some dirty scheduled reboots recently as well but no luck in diagnosing what is stalling the reboot process.

Any advice as to what causes a stalled shutdown? I've had some dirty scheduled reboots recently as well but no luck in diagnosing what is stalling the reboot process.
If you have any usb devices connected I would look that way. Start by removing the drives after a unmount and removal. Test.

Scheduled reboot has had an intermittent problem with both OE, & Merlin firmware, for some while now.
Scheduled wireless on/off likewise.

It's been a random issue for years with Asuswrt, happening more frequently with the RT-AC68U for some unknown reason. Only way to properly troubleshoot this is to reproduce the issue while connected to the internal serial connector.

384.6 on AC86U gave me unstable WiFi with some devices frequently disconnecting (1 being PlayStation 4). At a glance it appeared TX-Rate was affected too. I tried factory reset and used defaults but no luck, so I just reverted to 384.5.

One really odd thing I noticed after factory reset / firmware restore / factory reset is some DHCP Reservations remained in System Log for MAC Addresses of devices that weren't ever reconnected. I held WPS button for 30 seconds on boot to clear NVRAM and that seemed to wipe them from memory. I'm keeping it on 384.5.

@RMerlin These 3 options do not have to be here in LAN, because they have nothing to do with DHCP, they have to be in WAN.

LAN -> DHCP Server X
18KqHCQ.png

WAN (Like this)
EAFSQkD.png

Please move them to WAN

D2R1H3q.jpg

Last edited:
These 3 options do not have to be here in LAN, because they have nothing to do with DHCP, they have to be in WAN.

The reason why they're on the DHCP page is because that page regroups the dnsmasq settings. They could fit on either of the two pages.

The reason why they're on the DHCP page is because that page regroups the dnsmasq settings. They could fit on either of the two pages.
But those options are 1000% more important in DNS section and I think it would look better on WAN.

We have to accept our mistakes to keep moving forward. :confused:

Last edited:
But those options are 1000% more important in DNS section and I think it would look better on WAN.

We have to accept our mistakes to keep moving forward. :confused:
Sorry I don't see this as a mistake at all. As far as moving forward, stay tuned!!:rolleyes:

384.6 on AC86U gave me unstable WiFi with some devices frequently disconnecting (1 being PlayStation 4). At a glance it appeared TX-Rate was affected too. I tried factory reset and used defaults but no luck, so I just reverted to 384.5.

One really odd thing I noticed after factory reset / firmware restore / factory reset is some DHCP Reservations remained in System Log for MAC Addresses of devices that weren't ever reconnected. I held WPS button for 30 seconds on boot to clear NVRAM and that seemed to wipe them from memory. I'm keeping it on 384.5.

I’m also having some trouble with 384.6 and WiFi on my 86U. My MacBook Pro (late 2016) wouldn’t connect until I turned beamforming off, and the connection seems to be unstable for other devices too. Unfortunately there’s nothing that Merlin can do about it, as the WiFi driver is closed source.

I’m also having some trouble with 384.6 and WiFi on my 86U. My MacBook Pro (late 2016) wouldn’t connect until I turned beamforming off, and the connection seems to be unstable for other devices too. Unfortunately there’s nothing that Merlin can do about it, as the WiFi driver is closed source.

Some users have reported that their WiFi issues have been solved with 384.7 alpha 1 (alpha 2 is now available too). You could also try these settings suggested by fellow forum member @scjr which seem to work well for several users: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-6-is-now-available.47941/page-21#post-422712. Off course, you can try both as well ;)

Perhaps you should move along and create your own firmware? You can have your settings where ever you want then.

Agreed.

@RMerlin

This option DNSSEC: strict unsigned validation does not work, keeps giving the same problem as always, I have to disable DNSSEC for the internet to work, I advise you ask for help to @john9527 how to set this option correctly, so that it is not in strict mode as in version 384.5 or remove DNSSEC option: strict unsigned validation and leaves DNSSEC in strict mode that is now from version 384.6 onwards.

Move them to WAN

Last edited:
@RMerlin

This option DNSSEC: strict unsigned validation does not work, keeps giving the same problem as always, I have to disable DNSSEC for the internet to work, I advise you ask for help to @john9527 how to set this option correctly, so that it is not in strict mode as in version 384.5 or remove DNSSEC option: strict unsigned validation and leaves DNSSEC in strict mode that is now from version 384.6 onwards.

Move them to WAN
I'm sorry but please make suggestions. Not demands sir! :rolleyes:

@RMerlin

That option is working perfectly... When disabling strict mode:

Code:
Sep  1 00:24:48 dnsmasq[20080]: started, version 2.80test4 cachesize 1500
Sep  1 00:24:48 dnsmasq[20080]: DNSSEC validation enabled but all unsigned answers are trusted

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!