What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ROUTER RUNNING GREATR , TO BSAD i had a massive stroke been out of action for over 3 weeks in hospital , no complaints from home of routr not working though sothat's good

Thanks for this special update @jerry6. Wishing you a succesful recovery, hang in there. And if 'home' has trouble, just let them post here, I imagine you have other things on your head like focussing on your recovery. Wishing you all the best.

I have my phone as my primary internet connected via USB to my AC3100 and so far haven't had to power cycle the router on subsequent reconnects since upgrading to 384.6.

The Internet LED would stay red but the GUI says internet is connected (it wasn't), there was no other way to get internet access to work again other than to power cycle/reboot the router.

Last edited:
Updating to 384.6 caused a serious LAN-WLAN speed degradation when using Windows SMB.

My main router is RT-AC1900P.
I have 2 PCs wired to my home router: a Windows PC (Windows 10 build 1607, fully updated) and a Linux PC (the latest Libreelec nightly build).
I also have a Windows laptop (Windows 10 build 1607, fully updated) which is wirelessly connected via 5 GHz channel.

Usually the speed of data copying from a wired PC to the laptop was typically 60-70 MB/s. This result was very stable and was observed for several years.

Suddenly, a few days ago I've noticed that the speed of copying from the Windows PC to the laptop is now only 25 MB/s, while the speed of copying from the Linux PC to the laptop is still 65-70 MB/s.
I've replaced the router (have a spare RT-AC68U here) and the result was even worse: 8 MB/s and 65 MB/s respectively.
For 2 or 3 days I was thinking that the problem was related to the M$'s recent changes to their version of the SMB protocol, but it turned out that 384.6 is the problem.

Flashing back to 384.5 solved this problem completely. Confirmed several times on my both routers.

It's interesting that the Linux SMB is almost not affected.

When configuring new firmware after doing a factory reset, is there an easy way to load up a DHCP list and a VPN list without cutting and pasting in the UI? Maybe by logging into the router, and loading a few config files somewhere? Not only would this be quicker but also less error prone.

I wonder if anybody else has seen the SSIDs on the 5GHz band are taking significantly longer to appear than SSIDs on the 2.4ghz band. Since they don't become available simultaneously my devices can't choose to auto connect to 5ghz network. Is the ASUS broadcasting it's presence less often for 5ghz?

This was not happening before but OpenVPN server started flooding my syslog... thing is I didn't touch anything since day one I setup 384.6

Sep 10 12:04:19 ovpn-server1[938]: 186.202.10.75 TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
Sep 10 12:04:19 ovpn-server1[938]: 186.202.10.75 TLS Error: TLS handshake failed

Any idea?

Sent from S.G. S9+ Duos

When configuring new firmware after doing a factory reset, is there an easy way to load up a DHCP list and a VPN list without cutting and pasting in the UI? Maybe by logging into the router, and loading a few config files somewhere? Not only would this be quicker but also less error prone.

Eschewing @john9527's legacy NVRAM Save/Restore utility (with a custom '.ini'), there are many forum posts describing how to backup the NVRAM DHCP reserved/static list i.e. prior to a firmware update.

Here is a 'one-liner' that should be run (i.e. simply copy'n'paste into the SSH command line) prior to taking the final /jffs backup (unless of course you save the generated script to say /opt etc.)
Code:
echo -en "nvram set dhcp_staticlist=\"" >/jffs/scripts/Reset_dhcp_staticlist.sh ;echo -en $(nvram get dhcp_staticlist) >>/jffs/scripts/Reset_dhcp_staticlist.sh;echo -e "\"\nnvram set dhcp_static_x=\"1\"\nnvram commit" >>/jffs/scripts/Reset_dhcp_staticlist.sh;chmod +x /jffs/scripts/Reset_dhcp_staticlist.sh
or for a more 'readable' restore script that allows you to easily edit the order of the entries before the restore
Code:
echo -en "nvram set dhcp_staticlist=\"" >/jffs/scripts/Reset_dhcp_staticlist.sh ;nvram get dhcp_staticlist | sed 's/</\\\n</g' >>/jffs/scripts/Reset_dhcp_staticlist.sh;echo -e "\"\nnvram set dhcp_static_x=\"1\"\nnvram commit" >>/jffs/scripts/Reset_dhcp_staticlist.sh;chmod +x /jffs/scripts/Reset_dhcp_staticlist.sh
Then after the firmware upgrade, restore /jffs, then run the NVRAM DHCP restore script
Code:
sh /jffs/scripts/Reset_dhcp_staticlist.sh

NOTE: The same technique can be used to backup the appropriate NVRAM Selective Routing client list(s) i.e 'vpn_client1_clientlist,vpn_client2_clientlist' etc.

After two days of stops syncing with dropbox. On the original software from ASUS work very well.
RT-AC68U

You posted the exact same issue in the 384.7 alpha thread: [384.7_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

It would be useful to know on which firmware (384.6 - Stable / 384.7 alpha) you're having issues. Also, how do you sync Dropbox and have you checked syslog for additional info or error messages to find the cause?

synchronization to the directory, the Directory uses DLNA service and after a while crashes synchronization. No entries in the logs.

Thanks again for this information, I just remembered another setting that Im wondering about, MU-MIMO, do you have this enabled or disabled.
I likely have very little devices that support it, Im guessing my Apple devices may, but that's about it I think.

I've had no issues with having this option both enabled and disabled but after doing some testing (link below - post #26) I have decided to disable it.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/is-anyone-using-mu-mimo.40553/

Just a note to mention that I updated my AC68U to this version(384.6) from 384.5 and imedialty experienced the same slow wifi issues as I described in this tread:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac68u-lan-to-wifi-downlink-throughput-issue.46992/

I flashed back 384.5 and wifi is back to normal.
So sorry that I did not find your message earlier.
For 3 or 4 days I was thinking that this problem is M$ related as they are removing SMB1 support from their products currently. And moreover, my Linux PC was not affected.

I've wasted quite a lot of time trying to solve the problem by tuning Windows... Even reinstalled a different version of Windows on the "server side". Nothing helped.

Last edited:
So sorry that I did not find your message earlier.
For 3 or 4 days I was thinking that this problem is M$ related as they are removing SMB1 support from their products currently. And moreover, my Linux PC was not affected.

I've wasted quite a lot of time trying to solve the problem by tuning Windows... Even reinstalled a different version of Windows on the "server side". Nothing helped.

What I don't understand is what SMB has to do with causing this.....if that was the cause, then it would effect LAN to LAN transfers, which for me anyway, stayed normal. Only LAN to WLAN and WLAN to LAN was affected.

Last edited:
I wonder if anybody else has seen the SSIDs on the 5GHz band are taking significantly longer to appear than SSIDs on the 2.4ghz band. Since they don't become available simultaneously my devices can't choose to auto connect to 5ghz network. Is the ASUS broadcasting it's presence less often for 5ghz?

I have always had this issue on all versions (am on 384.5 currently). The 2.4 always shows up earlier then the 5. I just set my devices to exclusively auto join the 5.

What I don't understand is what SMB has to do with causing this.....if that was the cause, then it would effect LAN to LAN transfers, which for me anyway, stayed normal. Only LAN to WLAN and WLAN to LAN was affected.
Who knows... It's not that simple. You need to be a networking expert to say. Need to ask my daughter :lol:
I've had a similar problem two years ago, but the Linux PC was affected and it was solved "on the Linux side" then: https://forum.openelec.tv/showthread.php?tid=81451
But I could hardly imagine that it's the router's issue.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online