What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hello everyone
just install
R7000_384.6_0.trx
after
tomato-R7000-1.28.AT-ARM-3.5-140-initial-64K.chk
now i want to back with original netgear r7000 firmware
but i cant do that
could you please help me

Today I tried to enable DNS filter, and I got the following in my syslog:

Sep 21 14:59:46 rc_service: watchdog 833:notify_rc start_dnsmasq
Sep 21 14:59:46 dnsmasq[6308]: bad IPv6 address at line 26 of /etc/dnsmasq.conf
Sep 21 14:59:46 dnsmasq[6308]: FAILED to start up
Sep 21 15:00:16 rc_service: watchdog 833:notify_rc start_dnsmasq
Sep 21 15:00:16 dnsmasq[6326]: bad IPv6 address at line 26 of /etc/dnsmasq.conf
Sep 21 15:00:16 dnsmasq[6326]: FAILED to start up

Global filter mode is Router.

Line 26 of /etc/dnsmasq.conf is as below:

dhcp-option=lan,option6:23,[::]

If I disable DNS filter, this line is still there, but there are 2 "dhcp-option" lines with IPv6 just on top of it removed. With DNS filter off, the bad IPv6 address and failed to start up message will not come out in syslog.

Last edited:
Today I tried to enable DNS filter, and I got the following in my syslog:

Sep 21 14:59:46 rc_service: watchdog 833:notify_rc start_dnsmasq
Sep 21 14:59:46 dnsmasq[6308]: bad IPv6 address at line 26 of /etc/dnsmasq.conf
Sep 21 14:59:46 dnsmasq[6308]: FAILED to start up
Sep 21 15:00:16 rc_service: watchdog 833:notify_rc start_dnsmasq
Sep 21 15:00:16 dnsmasq[6326]: bad IPv6 address at line 26 of /etc/dnsmasq.conf
Sep 21 15:00:16 dnsmasq[6326]: FAILED to start up

Should be fixed by 384.7.

Hello everyone,
I'm using firmware 384.6 on my AC86U and using the Merlin firmware since I can imagine on my Asus routers. The problem I have right now is that my router crashed the second time after some weeks uptime.
See logs under the link below . Has anyone an idea what happened? The strange thing is that the log shows the timestamp “May 5”..

Some additional infos:
- AC86U with firmware 384.6
- USB Stick with Diversion 4.0.1 attached, no entware.
- No special other things installed.
- AiProtect, QoS, AiCloud, USB-Tools not enabled

https://pastebin.com/eVPZFALs

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Has anyone an idea what happened? The strange thing is that the log shows the timestamp “May 5”..

Your router lost track of time when it booted. When it synced with NTP, the correct time was set again:

Code:
May  5 07:05:12 ntp: start NTP update
Sep 20 18:07:19 rc_service: ntp 1022:notify_rc restart_diskmon

My RT-AC87U died yesterday by a lightning hit in my network and electricity cables. I've been running Merlin firmware on this router for many years.
To rebuild my network I bought a RT-AC88U.
It has the stock firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_32799
Can I upgrade the firmware without extra steps directly to 384.6?
(I know after the upgrade I should restore to factory default)

Great. Next post will be with firmware version 384.6. I like to keep my router stable so I stay a way from beta's.

Can anybody tell me why I cant disable b/g protection in my AC87U? The checkbox is greyed out. Im using 384.5

That option can only be changed if you are actually allowing 802.11b clients. It has no effect otherwise.

Upgrade went smooth. Just struggling with making an smb network connection to my attached usb drive to the rt-ac88u. FTP is working.

Edit: SMB networking is ok now! I found a second router configured as switch was on the same network. The original router/switch was destroyed too by lightning. I had not configured the replacement properly.

Last edited:
does 384.7 beta have the latest security fixes from asus? They've put out two updates since 384.6 was released. I know merlin is only one guy but we talking months behind now...

Well read he changelog for the beta doesn't have any of the stability or security fixes from last month or this month. Think I'm going to stick with stock firmware, for security, stability and performance.

Last edited:
Montths? The 32xxx source code was released TWO WEEKS ago...

what is 32xx? I see latest version as 384.6 and changelog says july 25.

For ac66u_b1 from asus:

Version 3.0.0.4.384.32738
2018/08/14
- Fixed Reflected XSS vulnerability.
- Fixed CSRF vulnerability.
- Fixed command injection vulnerability.
- Fixed stack buffer overflow vulnerability.
Thanks for Rick Ramgattie contribution.

Version 3.0.0.4.384.32799
2018/09/19
-Fixed WIFI stability issue

Last edited:
what is 32xx?
For ac66u_b1 from asus:Version 3.0.0.4.384.32799
2018/09/19
Exactly that!
32xxx means 32799 (and all beginning with 32..)
for me it's ONE week ago ...

He first needs the much later published source code files (not firmware files you refering to) to build his extended firmware on them.

what is 32xx? I see latest version as 384.6 and changelog says july 25.

For ac66u_b1 from asus:

Version 3.0.0.4.384.32738
2018/08/14
- Fixed Reflected XSS vulnerability.
- Fixed CSRF vulnerability.
- Fixed command injection vulnerability.
- Fixed stack buffer overflow vulnerability.
Thanks for Rick Ramgattie contribution.

Version 3.0.0.4.384.32799
2018/09/19

You should see inside Driver & Tools, select OS as Others, under the Source Code section.

Source code is always lagging behind the firmware release. Without the source code, there is no way to know what Asus has changed in their firmware, unless Asus engineer is willing to tell you in detail.

I'm not trying to sound overly demanding, and so now I understand its not Merlin's fault. But unpatched vulnerabilities for a month seem like too large a window for those concerned with security. Which, back in my day was the whole reason to use open source firmware on a router. Because the vendor never actually patched anything. Now I guess open source firmware is just to sound cool, but in reality its becoming obsolete. It seems routers have more vendor support, and once that support ends so does the open source community support.

Although, I guess it is more comforting to know the source code for the updated firmware was only released two weeks ago, but still disconcerting because there is always groups of people in the know before the firmware is released let alone the source code. Too bad Merlin is not one of them, though I thought he was? Maybe he should not be so generous to them since the feeling is not mutual?

This is partly why Microsoft has changed its update policy, even though its somewhat in vain, because too many people always know the patches are coming before they are released. This goes for dark circles too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!