What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.7 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That's exactly what I say I did in the last line of my original post: "Since I'm not worried about forcing clients to Quad9 I just added their IP addresses in the WAN DNS Setting section, disabled DNS Filtering and all is good."

You could force them to use the Router via DNS Filtering. Since the router is pointed at Quad9, they would all be using Quad9 then and you would still have local resolution.

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 13.57.18.png

There were a lot of changes to dnsmasq and dnssec I would flash the new f/w and reset to defaults. Manual config is mandatory from here. Do not import settings.

I wouldn't say this is a bug but definitely something to be aware of if you need local host resolution.

It's a known technical limitation of DNSFilter, as it bypasses your router to use the configured DNS server.

One solution would be, when you enable DNS Filtering, is to force DNS requests to the router instead of the filter provider, so local hosts can get resolved, and have DNSMasq resolve at Quad9 or other filter providers.

Dnsmasq doesn't allow you to specify a DNS server based on a source IP.

I manually rebooted my AC87U after the download and the new firmware is showing there.

Of note, someone mentioned in one post here somewhere (sorry I couldn’t find it for some reason) that they were having issues with their NTP time zone sync. Someone else mentioned that you could fix this by using GPS instead. Anyone knows has any simple step-by-step instructions on how to fix this?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello,

could you confirm that this fw 384.7 is not working OK in AC87U?.

If it is confirmed your warning, I cannot believe that ASUS, after the last fw update (waited for months) has messed the NTP automatic snyc , when previously worked well ... and it is not something that appears in the change log of fw 382.50702 :(.

I have been waiting to have this Merlin version out (from long time ago I do not use stock fw), but for people like me that uses the time to keep some access rules for children, this can be a big no go, as with some short cuts in the power supply (or carried out by them!) I will not be aware that the time and date have not been recovered automatically and the access rules are ruined...

If it is confirmed your warning, I cannot believe that ASUS, after the last fw update (waited for months) has messed the NTP automatic snyc , when previously worked well ... and it is not something that appears in the change log of fw 382.50702 :(.

The NTP code is 100% identical for all models. This has nothing to do with the RT-AC87U as a model.

The NTP code is 100% identical for all models. This has nothing to do with the RT-AC87U as a model.
But only people with an AC87U is reporting it (at least three) ...

My AC87u works perfect ;) 2 days uptime now since update

edit: I have Fake-hwclock installed.. maybe that helps (read something about it when using DNScrypt so installed it thru Entware)

Last edited:
I was afraid also of other post stating that date was changed to May 5, instead of correct date, and in post #102 of this thread seemed to be the same (seen in the attached picture).

Well, if time and date is working OK for you , maybe the problem was related to any other glitch during installation (no clean installation, etc...)

Thank you for the feedback! :)

edit: I have Fake-hwclock installed.. maybe that helps (read something about it when using DNScrypt so installed it thru Entware)
But when you reboots the router, is the time correctly set from a external NTP server?

But when you reboots the router, is the time correctly set from a external NTP server?
Yes or it will use fake-hwclock until it updates i guess (fake-hwclock save the time to a file when rebooting i think)

Can remove fake-hwclock tomorrow and try some reboots and see what happen if you like and report back @JIPG

My Internet went down today for about 10 minutes and the router said Internet was down and during that time the log filled up with the following:

Code:
 Oct  9 12:08:15 dnsmasq[331]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)

First off I don’t recall every seeing that before when I lose Internet and I’ve been losing it a lot lately.

Second the router previously wasn’t detecting that the Internet was down (it showed that on the network mapping screen). I don’t want the router detecting loss of Internet unless the WAN resets (i.e. modem reboots) since I like to be able to check my modem status as such I disabled the redirect on WAN down setting. Did something change in this release?

Upgraded from 384.7 Beta 3 to 384.7 final.

Two problems I have not seen before:
  • Windows updates fail to download
  • I can no longer Wi-Fi Transfer data from/to Documents / PDF Expert on my iOS devices
This worked fine before. I've also recently updated to Windows 10 1809, so unfortunately multiple factors that may cause this...

EDIT: both solved after a router reboot.

Last edited:

Mine still does not work in my AC87U. I reset and initialized and still no time sync.

But only people with an AC87U is reporting it (at least three) ...
It worked on my 87U:
Code:
May  5 01:05:33 ntp: start NTP update
Oct  9 08:09:40 rc_service: ntp 534:notify_rc restart_diskmon

I did experience some funkiness with the 5Ghz radio --wasn't seen by anything. So I disabled it, renamed it, disabled it, renamed it back and rebooted and it looks to be ok.

Does not work with: time.google.com

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!