What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.7 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thanks but Firmware do i download for model router i ahve its not in the list for merlin software
Download firmware RT-Ac68u, this is the same fw for all AC68 series
lg.php

* RT-AC68P (same firmware as RT-AC68U) source : https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/about

Last edited:
This is a hardware issue then, possibly related to overheating. Unrelated to the firmware.

Did not think it was firmware related. But it seems to worsen the issue after the update flash.

Overheating???? Umm...its only about 21C in the room, and colder then ever as Winter is now here.
Infact, my old AC68U got much warmer to the touch than this AC86U does and that old thing still ran strong...even when my AC failed for a while and it was very hot in the room about 90F (or 32c).
The GUI Page says currently for 5G: 56C and CPU: 66C (I have 2.4g disabled now)
This 86U is just over a month old.
How can it fail this new???

I only use the 2.4g band for the 2 Wyze cams i have, as they do not support 5ghz :(.
So...its not that big a deal, but, certainly a concern if it mean hardware is gone out.
I may just dig out my old 68U and set that as a 2.4 AP....when i need 2.4 band on.

Edit: I noticed in my first post about this issue, I mistakenly typed 68U....I meant 86U. I fixed that in the post.

Last edited:
Will AC56U be supported or is it time to sell?
"FreshTomato" firmware is an option. We are using it on our RT-AC56R right now, which we bought new earlier this year, not knowing it would be EOL this fast.
I'm not a power user, but everything seems to be working as well as before, with one exception: only the "power" LED is lit. I thought I had bricked it at first, but it seems to be an old, low-priority bug with Tomato.

Edit: Not sure if JFFS is working.
Update: It seems to now. Go to Administration -> JFFS, click "enable", then click "save". Can't seem to find the link for that.

Last edited:
Did not think it was firmware related. But it seems to worsen the issue after the update flash.

Overheating???? Umm...its only about 21C in the room, and colder then ever as Winter is now here.
Infact, my old AC68U got much warmer to the touch than this AC86U does and that old thing still ran strong...even when my AC failed for a while and it was very hot in the room about 90F (or 32c).

I only use the 2.4g band for the 2 Wyze cams i have, as they do not support 5ghz :(.
So...its not that big a deal, but, certainly a concern if it mean hardware is gone out.
I may just dig out my old 68U and set that as a 2.4 AP....when i need 2.4 band on.

Edit: I noticed in my first post about this issue, I mistakenly typed 68U....I meant 86U. I fixed that in the post.

Why dont you have a look at 2.4G chip?
On Admin -> Temperatures page you will find all relevant temps.
Wifi should be below 60°C and CPU below 75 on 86U.

If you have warrenty use it!
If not you could take apart and check cooling strips corretly placed and contact to cooling plate.
Inner shielding plate remove too and look at the small stripe directly on the chip.
I think there can be the problem and maybe not completely broken till now.

Try flash it with stock firmware.

If it still happen then can send it for warranty claim. (You will need it to be in stock firmware for warranty claim anyhow)

If it still happen then can send it for warranty claim. (You will need it to be in stock firmware for warranty claim anyhow)

Cant take the down time to mess with firmware and even changing the thing out. I have DVR and other things that are running that need wired network connectivity for the next couple weeks.

I bought the thing 46 days ago at MicroCenter....damn annoying that it "fails" after the 30 days, cause if within 30 days it would be a simple walk in exchange situation. But after 30days, its now on the 3yr Protection Plan thing, which mean have to wait in line to submit it for replacement and fill out paper work, and take 2 hrs for them to issue store Gift card, then I have to wait in line to buy new one.

I refuse to deal with Asus directly, I had to as an A.S.P. at my past job and they were the worst ever to deal with.

I have disabled 2.4band and router seems to be running fine. Only thing i lost is Wyze cams connectivity.
I wish I could find IP cams as good and as cheap as Wyze that had 5ghz support (or hardwire).

Cant take the down time to mess with firmware and even changing the thing out. I have DVR and other things that are running that need wired network connectivity for the next couple weeks.

I bought the thing 46 days ago at MicroCenter....damn annoying that it "fails" after the 30 days, cause if within 30 days it would be a simple walk in exchange situation. But after 30days, its now on the 3yr Protection Plan thing, which mean have to wait in line to submit it for replacement and fill out paper work, and take 2 hrs for them to issue store Gift card, then I have to wait in line to buy new one.

I refuse to deal with Asus directly, I had to as an A.S.P. at my past job and they were the worst ever to deal with.

I have disabled 2.4band and router seems to be running fine. Only thing i lost is Wyze cams connectivity.
I wish I could find IP cams as good and as cheap as Wyze that had 5ghz support (or hardwire).

Then just buy a cheap WiFi AP and connect to the router, you'll get 2.4GHz WiFi back.

Then just buy a cheap WiFi AP and connect to the router, you'll get 2.4GHz WiFi back.
How stupid is that, we bought a device for 2G/5G and shall buy a second one to solve problems with the first router???

And you for sure will buy a second car because your first expensive one got a problem with the car trunk sometimes locked and not opening without going to a service station!

Hello Guys,

Do you have idea why Core1 on the GUI is at 100% and htop load 5/10/15 mins reports around 6.
The cpu bars in htop is mostly under 5%

View attachment 14897

View attachment 14898
This is happening to me too. It started sometime within the last start cycle (13 days ago). Core 1 CPU is pegged @ 100%, SSH refuses connections (was going to see if displayed CPU usage was actual), and router will not reboot through GUI. It acts like it does, going through the progress screen etc., but is not rebooting. I will reboot manually and see what happens.

Okay this is a weird one. On a RT AC5300. Been using 384.7 since its release. No issues. Just put on 384.7.2 and now the client list goes from 0 to 30 then back to 0. When I try to view it is says no data found, but if I wait it then shows the clients for a few seconds then goes back to 0. Did two soft reboots and one pull power reboot. Same issue. Everything else seems to work fine, but wanted to mention it.

Firmware is broken

I get "kernel: nvram: consolidating space!" then router disconnect internet and everything stops working.

NVRAM usage 51551 / 65536 bytes
JFFS 1.69 / 62.75 MB

I have checked syslog and there is some lines that has error.

I guess its becouse something is wrong with the firmware.
Im running on a brand new Asus AC68U flashed Merlin 384.7_2, did a hard reset after flashing and I sett in my settings manually.
I have also checked that the timezone is correct for Sweden.
Im also using a USB memmory in USB3 port, USB memmory has 0 error and is working ok. I use DNS 1.1.1.1
Temp: Legend: 2.4 GHz - 5 GHz - CPU
Current Temperatures: 48 °C - 49 °C - 80 °C

Could this error be why the firmware is not working?
My syslog: https://files.fm/u/ffg89fpc#/view/syslog.txt
From log:

lldpd[288]: could not open either /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release
lldpd[288]: lsb_release information not available
lldpd[291]: created chroot directory /var/run/lldpd
lldpd[291]: cannot get ethtool link information with GLINKSETTINGS (requires 4.9+): Operation not permitted
lldpd[291]: cannot get ethtool link information with GSET (requires 2.6.19+): Operation not permitted

Theres also alot of kernel stuff, can error "kernel: nvram: consolidating space!" also be because of crond job that may not be able to finish?

I have also read about this problem here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac87u-lost-internet-kernel-nvram-consolidating-space.44678/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-kernel-nvram-consolidating-space.43045/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dnsmasq-dhcpoffer-problems.49472/#post-439312 <- I have a 24h DHCP leases set in my router.

No solution to my problem... I cant run a router that shuts everything down 3-4 or more times a day, must be wrong in the firmware. I hope we can find the problem and @RMerlin can make a fix for it.

How stupid is that, we bought a device for 2G/5G and shall buy a second one to solve problems with the first router???

And you for sure will buy a second car because your first expensive one got a problem with the car trunk sometimes locked and not opening without going to a service station!
As stupid sounding as the person with the problem making excuses not to return the item?

You can be on rmerlin and send it in for warranty.

Since this release, I'm not being able to remotely access my webdav files through Android.
I was using release 384.4_2 and it was working fine. After updating to this latest version, it didn't work anymore.
I'm using File Explorer+ for Android and my router is RT-AC87U.
Does anyone have the some problem?

As stupid sounding as the person with the problem making excuses not to return the item?
There is no reason for a seller to take it back used after a month as the hardware has no defect, it's up to Asus to provide firmware without terrible faults!

And if seller accepts it as faulty he will send a new one, 2 weeks or more later with no router and same problem afterwards!

Last edited:
I've updated to 384.7_2 and everything seems to be working OK so far aside from a minor issue that could just be a bug? In the network map under client status it says I have 0 devices connected to the 5GHz band but I have several devices that are connected to that band. These devices are showing up instead under Wired connections?

Since this release, I'm not being able to remotely access my webdav files through Android.
I was using release 384.4_2 and it was working fine. After updating to this latest version, it didn't work anymore.
I'm using File Explorer+ for Android and my router is RT-AC87U.
Does anyone have the some problem?
It seems the same issue I'm experiencing with mine Synology Nas & AC87....Reverted back to 380.69_2 and everything was fine. Now I'm again on 384.7_2 trying to fix this problem, but on the lan also...

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

I've updated to 384.7_2 and everything seems to be working OK so far aside from a minor issue that could just be a bug? In the network map under client status it says I have 0 devices connected to the 5GHz band but I have several devices that are connected to that band. These devices are showing up instead under Wired connections?

Known issue from some time ago in ASUS original FW versions.

Apart from that, installed 384.7_2 and working without issues.

Exchanged my 86U...had to pay the $40 3yr Protection plan thing again :mad:
Got it home...booted up, before I could even flash Merlin FW.....and 2.4ghz said "chan 0" out of the box..:mad::confused::mad:
Went back to store, exchanged the exchanged unit....
Got Merlin FW flashed, and config restored....working fine, so far. Only been an hour though.

Asus seems to have gone down hill with their hardware manufacturing.

Upgraded my RT-AC88U from 384.7 to 384.7_2 without any problems.
Noticed my 5 ghz was activated the same time as 2.4 ghz. Usually 5 ghz is more than 30 seconds later.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!