What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Erik, I went down the Rabbit hole over the past week... First and foremost, 384.9 is awesome and very stable in my use when removing variables that I personally inject. I have about 35 clients connecting across a client (media) bridge with an AP to repeat on non-conflicting channels. With DD-WRT this is perfectly stable 100% of the time, but as I've mentioned, with limited functionality as DD-WRT client bridge is not a true transparent bridge, meaning clients connecting to the AP show as the same mac address as the MB in the middle and that confuses some of the enhanced functionality.

I mentioned in the Beta post that I was so pleased with the stability of 384.9 that I may try resetting the MB (AC68P) to it in order to see if stability existed there as well... it doesn't. Within 12 hours, DHCP requests still fail, which I've gone as far as capturing logs from router, MB, and AP elsewhere in this forum, but without the expertise to come to any root cause. I then loaded John's fork, which surprisingly was more stable on the MB sandwiched between a router and AP running 384.9 (AC86U and AC3200 respectively). I would start to see drops after 12 hours though on random clients where DHCP would not be able to obtain an IP address. This was most obvious on a mobile client exiting and entering WiFi range.

Then came Tomato and ultimately back to DD-WRT. Though functionality is reduced as the mac address of AP connected clients are rewritten to that of the MB, this firmware has been rock solid. Take heart in the crazy amount of RTFM you see and know that this is a great go to build that I recommend. DCD errors are not your problem and a workaround to scrub them exists. Non-reproducible errors are expected, but I believe they are less this time around than with other builds. Anyway, great work and thank you and also this whole community.

Ever since this release it always shows my internet is disconnected. I toggled off the dns query and ping in system tab without any good result.
QFPcGTS.png

I also get the WLCEVENTD logs entries like mentioned by swampkracker. The is the first release where i actually have some apparent issues going on :'(

I went back a version and all is well. Will wait for next revision.

I have this same issue. However, I also saw connectivity issues between clients (fixed and wireless) connected to the router. Some clients would drop their connection and reconnect and some would just be (in the wife's words) "slow" e.g. stuttering / slow youtube video etc)

I have read this entire thread and also some posts all the way back to 2017.

I tried the following 2 solutions:

- Disable "Enable WAN down browser redirect notice"
- Also enabled option to dns check for internet connection being up (which was a new setting to me)

None worked.

Downgraded to 384.8_2 and everything is fine.

I have this same issue. However, I also saw connectivity issues between clients (fixed and wireless) connected to the router. Some clients would drop their connection and reconnect and some would just be (in the wife's words) "slow" e.g. stuttering / slow youtube video etc)

I have read this entire thread and also some posts all the way back to 2017.

I tried the following 2 solutions:

- Disable "Enable WAN down browser redirect notice"
- Also enabled option to dns check for internet connection being up (which was a new setting to me)

None worked.

Downgraded to 384.8_2 and everything is fine.
Factory reset.

Yes,
Factory reset.

I understand that is the next logical step. However, so many others have reported doing that and called no joy, that I would prefer to wait for an upgrade option.

I don't have the time or the patience to deal with the family while I restore all my settings only for the issue to persist.

Question please

Im on 384.8_2 and so far this release has been excellent, last time I did a reset I was greeted with a new setup wizard which to me was very confusing , it was asking if I used a static IP and so on, and I was very unsure on what I needed to select, I got there in the end but is it the same in this release.

A few versions ago I remember the easy setup wizard being very simple and just asking to setup passwords and wifi .

Thanks

I had to go back to the previous firmware in my AC68U. I always read the release notes and knew the problems with the network map and AiProtection events but as discussed in the forum, the router log is full of associations and disassociations to the wifi network. I've tried restarting several times and the behavior is the same. Back to firmware 384.8_2 everything is back to normal.

I had to go back to the previous firmware in my AC68U. I always read the release notes and knew the problems with the network map and AiProtection events but as discussed in the forum, the router log is full of associations and disassociations to the wifi network. I've tried restarting several times and the behavior is the same. Back to firmware 384.8_2 everything is back to normal.
This has been discussed lots. The issue is with Asus. This new to this release. Please report the issue to Asus, they may fix it sooner.;):)

I'm also receiving the Assoc/Disassoc entries in my log. Any resolution to this yet?

Feb 7 08:53:55 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Disassoc zz:zz:zz:zz:zz:zz
Feb 7 08:54:08 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Disassoc zz:zz:zz:zz:zz:zz
Feb 7 08:58:07 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Assoc zz:zz:zz:zz:zz:zz
Feb 7 08:59:26 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Disassoc zz:zz:zz:zz:zz:zz
Feb 7 08:59:31 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Disassoc zz:zz:zz:zz:zz:zz

I removed the actual MAC address and replaced with zz:zz:zz:zz:zz:zz, but they were all the same MAC address, but I'm also seeing additional MAC addresses coming up that are associated with devices on my WiFi network.

I'm also receiving the Assoc/Disassoc entries in my log. Any resolution to this yet?

I removed the actual MAC address and replaced with zz:zz:zz:zz:zz:zz, but they were all the same MAC address.
And what device is it that is unable to associate?

I removed the actual MAC address and replaced with zz:zz:zz:zz:zz:zz, but they were all the same MAC address.
This has been discussed lots. The issue is with Asus. This new to this release. Please report the issue to Asus, they may fix it sooner.;):)

I removed the actual MAC address and replaced with zz:zz:zz:zz:zz:zz, but they were all the same MAC address, but I'm also seeing additional MAC addresses coming up that are associated with devices on my WiFi network.
I get this too, but I like seeing what the ???? my devices are doing on my network, since many manufacturers are doing very shady or totally unethical / illegal crap. Like yesterdays discovery that many iPhone apps are doing full screen recordings (even passwords, credit card numbers, passport numbers) and sending them back to the source, the company (see TechCrunch).
Very very bad for your privacy and security!

Don't just complain here in the forums. look up the MAC addresses to see what is going on, then take steps to remedy that issue if it bothers you. Skynet lets you block IoT devices from calling out. I block some, others stop functioning if I do, but at least I know what devices are misbehaving!

This is a Kindle paperwhite calling home, and Google Home Minis disconnecting and reconnecting, why, I dunno. I am forced to trust Google :rolleyes: or stop using them. The Kindle is now blocked from calling out unless I allow it.

Code:
Feb  7 00:56:19 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Assoc 74:C2:46:81:2C:76
Feb  7 00:59:00 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Disassoc 74:C2:46:81:2C:76
Feb  7 04:16:39 WLCEVENTD: eth6: Disassoc E4:F0:42:38:84:D4
Feb  7 04:16:59 WLCEVENTD: eth6: Assoc E4:F0:42:38:84:D4
Feb  7 04:48:35 WLCEVENTD: eth6: Disassoc 20:DF:B9:9D:C4:AF
Feb  7 04:48:56 WLCEVENTD: eth6: Assoc 20:DF:B9:9D:C4:AF
Of course Amazon and Google will not tell why. That is why I run behind a good, known trustworthy VPN with Stubby and Skynet. YMMV.

Last edited:
Question please

Im on 384.8_2 and so far this release has been excellent, last time I did a reset I was greeted with a new setup wizard which to me was very confusing , it was asking if I used a static IP and so on, and I was very unsure on what I needed to select, I got there in the end but is it the same in this release.

A few versions ago I remember the easy setup wizard being very simple and just asking to setup passwords and wifi .

Thanks
The setup wizard is super easy. Go for it.

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with Asus AI Cloud. I am having trouble with app itself not connecting to my router. The only way I am able to is if I download the Asus official firmware. Is there a certain setting that I need to change in order to use it with Merlin firmware?

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with Asus AI Cloud. I am having trouble with app itself not connecting to my router. The only way I am able to is if I download the Asus official firmware. Is there a certain setting that I need to change in order to use it with Merlin firmware?
AI Cloud is probably not a good idea, it's leaving something accessible from the WAN. You should work toward setting up a OVPN server and accessing things that way, it's way more secure.

Okay, okay Skeal. Take it easy with the scolding. You're not a Den Mother here

I believe the term is “jock sniffer”

Last edited:
I believe the term is “jock sniffer”
Ahh I see. So this kind of stuff is OK? But telling people to read before they post, isn't. I stand by my statement.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I upgraded yesterday and my logs are full of entries like these (MACs sanitized):

Feb 6 18:14:41 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Disassoc E0:4F:43:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:14:41 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Assoc E0:4F:43:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:15:23 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Disassoc E0:4F:43:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:15:28 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Assoc E0:4F:43:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:15:29 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Assoc E0:4F:43:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:15:44 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Assoc 90:B2:1F:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:15:48 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Disassoc 90:B2:1F:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:20:44 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Assoc 90:B2:1F:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:20:48 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Disassoc 90:B2:1F:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:25:44 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Assoc 90:B2:1F:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:25:48 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Disassoc 90:B2:1F:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:26:05 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Assoc 90:B2:1F:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:26:22 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Disassoc 90:B2:1F:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:27:31 WLCEVENTD: eth1: ReAssoc 20:EE:28:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:31:05 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Assoc 90:B2:1F:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:31:11 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Disassoc 90:B2:1F:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:32:59 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Assoc 90:B2:1F:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:33:15 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Disassoc 90:B2:1F:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:36:37 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Assoc 90:B2:1F:-:-:-
Feb 6 18:36:54 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Disassoc 90:B2:1F:-:-:-

Any idea what's going on?

Edit: tried a reboot, still see these in the log.

I looked into this and it appears to be happening as devices wake up from power save, check in, then go back to sleep. Innocuous behavior, but annoying that the logs are filled. Can switch logging to 'notice' level, but that filters out most of the other diagnostics. Would rather have these at the 'debug' logging level, fwiw.

Last edited:

I wonder why worry about associations and disassociations? I have that as well but the router and all clients work beautifully....

Grateful for the update on my AC3200. After some initial issues with wifi issues getting bumped off the network (rebooted them, all is well) everything has been great!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!