What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Preparing to perform a long-overdue firmware update. Its been running smoothly, so ignored it for quite a while!

Currently running 376.49_5. Been reading the Wiki, and I think I understand, but just want to make sure, as the WiFi here is pretty important to many things!

Due to partition changes, to flash the newest Merlin release, says my RT-AC68U needs to be at least on firmware 378.55 before I can flash 380.xx - which I assume also means before I can flash 384.9.

So - I need to first flash (Merlin) 378.55 (or .56) and then flash again to the latest 384.9 - correct? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I think I know the answer from reading the wiki, just want to be sure before getting into a mess!

Thanks in advance...
Correct. 378.55 or latest 378.xx, then go to 384.9. You should be prepared to factory reset after the upgrade and input all your settings manually.

Correct. 378.55 or latest 378.xx, then go to 384.9. You should be prepared to factory reset after the upgrade and input all your settings manually.
Yes, already took screen shots of all the settings, to prepare for factory reset. Thanks for the quick response!

You’re welcome. Let us know how it goes! :)
Well, it didn't like 378.56 - tried it twice, and it said it was still on the old firmware after each reboot. So, downloaded 378.55, and that one took, but had to do the full factory reset before it came up and ran. Did a few basic config steps, and then upgraded to 384.9 with no issues. Headed to bed now, I'll restore all the static IP addresses and a few other settings tomorrow!

The router has no way of figuring out how to handle rules that also combine exceptions such as yours. The instant you forward a certain device through the tunnel with DNS set to exclusive mode, a DNSVPN rule gets inserted.
Thanks.
Now vpn working and get DNS from vpnprovider. Exempions working, bypass ipnummer.
All other device on lan-net get same DNS as vpnprovider there i would to use my isp-DNS servers.

Hmm... AiProtection works fine for me. I cleared the Malicious Sites Blocking and IPS hit count to 0 after the upgrade. Infected Device Prevention and Blocking has always been 0 all the while.

Let me recall... at the first 2 hours, the Malicious Sites Blocking and IPS hit count remain at 0 although I purposely went and visit some torrent download sites which used to produce hits.
Running "ps" in ssh terminal can see process "dcd -i 3600 -p 43200 -b -d /tmp/bwdpi/" is up and running.

Then I saw hit counts in Malicious Sites Blocking and IPS shown in Asus Router app when I accessed the router using the app. When I access using web browser again, the hit counts also shown there now.

Maybe the Asus Router app has triggered something, or maybe just coincident. But AiProtection is working fine now, including IPS hit counts.

After days of observation, AiProtection logging only worked for that single occasion, and the counter stopped for the rest of the days. The AiProtection related daemon services are still running though.

I wonder what had actually triggered the logging to work, and what else has stopped it (not working as mentioned in Release Notes).

I'm having trouble self-compiling 384.9 build.

make[8]: Leaving directory '/home/**/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src/router/libevent-2.0.21'
make[8]: write error: stdout
Makefile:961: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[7]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

In the new firmware, I am getting a ton of these recurring entries on my RT-AC5300:

Feb 16 10:52:24 dnsmasq[323]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted

Any ideas?

That error message is too vague to be of any use. Do you have any particular configuration? VPN? what router mode are you operating in?

In the new firmware, I am getting a ton of these recurring entries on my RT-AC5300:

Any ideas?
That error message is too vague to be of any use. Do you have any particular configuration? VPN? what router mode are you operating in?
I have this error too. Doesn’t show on 384.8. Showed on the 384.9 beta as well. I have a AC3100. No VPN clients active, tried with and without VPN servers running. Stubby, Skynet running on router. YazFi as well but it was previously disabled and this error still showed. Every couple of hours they flood the logs.

I have this error too. Doesn’t show on 384.8. Showed on the 384.9 beta as well. I have a AC3100. No VPN clients active, tried with and without VPN servers running. Stubby, Skynet running on router. YazFi as well but it was previously disabled and this error still showed. Every couple of hours they flood the logs.

Same here, tons of these messages since 384.9, didn't have it at all with 384.8_2, same config. It bursts out a bunch every few hrs.

Default wireless router mode.

My settings on the DHCP that's different than the defaults are: Yes to Hide DHCP/RA queries, Yes to Enable DNSSEC (with Yes to strict unsigned validation by default) and yes with Enable Manual Assignment with bunch of hosts.

I also have both openvpn servers running, on different protocols & ports, both advertise dns to clients. But the messages happen no matter the vpn server is connected with client or not.

Thanks.

P.S.: RT-AC88U

Updated my 3100 to 384.9 working ok except native IPv6 is broke. Works fine on my 7800 and my Linksys no go on the 3100.

Updated my 3100 to 384.9 working ok except native IPv6 is broke. Works fine on my 7800 and my Linksys no go on the 3100.

No such issues with my RT-AC3100. Did you reboot from GUI? Did you try a hard reboot (pull the plug on the RT and wait 5 minutes or so)?

When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults after updating the router and then proceeding with a minimal and manual install?

What was the previous firmware you were running before upgrading to 384.9?

IPv6 working fine here on 384.9 / AC86U. I use it every day, just because I can.

I've had IPv6 "break" in the past. I've solved it by turning the modem and router off for a few minutes (gotta let those capacitors discharge), then turning the modem on, waiting a couple minutes for it to stabilize, and then turning the router on. I've also had it "break" on one windows machine and work on another. Rebooting the windows machine has solved it.

Try disabling these add-ons. That error message typically means that a firewall rule is blocking dnsmasq.

Try disabling these add-ons. That error message typically means that a firewall rule is blocking dnsmasq.
Will pursue the add ones further.

Anything change from .8 to .9 that would trigger this? Downgrading to .8 I never see this. Only if I upgrade to .9

After few days of testing on wifi I don't see any issues with 384.9. No disconnects. I checked the log but there is so much noise there with reporting hard to know what it report.

Thanks Merlin for keeping 87u up to date with GPL releases.

No VPN, Wireless Router Mode, QOS in use.
I get these associate/disassociate messages, usually on tablets or phones. Then, I get the huge stream of dns messages.

Ex:
Feb 17 04:07:02 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Disassoc **:61
Feb 17 04:07:02 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Assoc **:61
Feb 17 10:03:56 WLCEVENTD: wl1.1: Assoc **:6E
Feb 17 10:16:53 rc_service: httpd 333:notify_rc start_lltdc
Feb 17 10:20:12 rc_service: httpd 333:notify_rc restart_wlcscan
Then a string of these:
dnsmasq[323]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted

Will pursue the add ones further.

Anything change from .8 to .9 that would trigger this? Downgrading to .8 I never see this. Only if I upgrade to .9

Nothing that I can think of, but there are thousands of line changes, so it's hard to tell for sure. Since I have never experienced it, it must be triggered by something very specific.

No VPN, Wireless Router Mode, QOS in use.
I get these associate/disassociate messages, usually on tablets or phones. Then, I get the huge stream of dns messages.

Ex:
Feb 17 04:07:02 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Disassoc **:61
Feb 17 04:07:02 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Assoc **:61
Feb 17 10:03:56 WLCEVENTD: wl1.1: Assoc **:6E
Feb 17 10:16:53 rc_service: httpd 333:notify_rc start_lltdc
Feb 17 10:20:12 rc_service: httpd 333:notify_rc restart_wlcscan
Then a string of these:
dnsmasq[323]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted

Using a Guest Network or some kind of bridge/repeater?

Nothing that I can think of, but there are thousands of line changes, so it's hard to tell for sure. Since I have never experienced it, it must be triggered by something very specific.
I disabled Skynet (through the menu, did not uninstall fully) last night but the errors persisted. Not noticing any visible issues with DNS resolution or DHCP so this seems to be somewhat limited to a syslog nuisance at this point.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!