What's new

AdGuardHome [RELEASE] Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer (AMAGHI)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi.

I have not been able to find any answer regarding this.

However, I "unblocked" a domain and I see that it was added to the custom rules section, however, it seems that AGH is still blocking this site. Does AGH update the custom filters right away, or do I need to wait for them to apply? How long is this frequency?

thanks

In my experience custom filtering rules take effect almost instantly after click apply. On the bottom of that page there is a “check the filtering” column. You can enter the domain and see if it is blocked. You can click unblock and the rules will be added by itself.

It seems that the filtering took about 30 mins to apply.

That is a bit too long. I just try to unblock a domain. My client are able to resolve the ip after second try within seconds. I then block it. Again the second time I try to resolve the domain I get null ip.

Hi.

I have not been able to find any answer regarding this.

However, I "unblocked" a domain and I see that it was added to the custom rules section, however, it seems that AGH is still blocking this site. Does AGH update the custom filters right away, or do I need to wait for them to apply? How long is this frequency?

thanks
Make sure when you unblock a site that it is unblocking the site in its entirety and not just the main site. Often times if you are using list and not filters it will have the site occuring multiple times with many subdomains inside the list, so you must make a whitelist rule for covering all subdomains or you have to whitelist every single subdomain you want to access. The same goes for filters. A filter will block all subdomains as well.

Interesting...

I noticed that if I unblock a domain that is being blocked by a DNS filter, then it is almost instant (less than a min for sure), however, if I unblock a domain that is blocked using the "parental controls" this could take some time to apply....
What if you toggle the Parental control option immediately after allowlisting? Also you can enable the Parental control on a per client basis instead of globally if you define the clients on the clients page. This may be helpful for you as well.

@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow @Jack Yaz - Thanks for your time and energy you have put into AMAGHI.

I would like to ask, have you guys thought of "integrate" AMAGHI in the webui like Diversion and Unbound? It could be pretty sweet. I will gladly help, if i can with something.. Thanks.
It would be pretty involved, but not necessarily warranted since AdGuardHome has its own WebUI. Kind of overkill. The only true benefit I could see is stopping and starting AdGuardHome, and checking for updates in the WebUI. Everything else is doable from AdGuardHome Webui.

It would be pretty involved, but not necessarily warranted since AdGuardHome has its own WebUI. Kind of overkill. The only true benefit I could see is stopping and starting AdGuardHome, and checking for updates in the WebUI. Everything else is doable from AdGuardHome Webui.
Thanks, i agree with you. It can give a nice overview of what is installed. Overkill i agree, but sweet. I have sent you a PM

To troubleshoot your adblock issue, There have been several instances where users reported not blocking.

Here are some of the reasons:
  • Browser (-i.e. chrome, or firefox) is using its built in DNS functions to redirect DNS traffic to their own private servers. #This would cause the user to not be using AGH. ( use dnsleaktest.com to test).
  • Blocklist is too weak
  • Allowlist is too nice
  • DNSFilter Global on the router is not pointed to "ROUTER" or client is being forced to a different server.

My spare PC (now working after it blowed up real good) has an Asus AC-68U router. I got AG working on it fine. On my regular PC with the normal household router (Asus AC-3100) I am having still having a bugger of a time. I reset my router to factory defaults, uninstalled all the scripts, formatted the USB drive, installed Entware and AG. Rebooted the router and no go. I compared settings with my spare router and they are exact. What could I have missed in the process?

Maybe the answer is to use the 68U as my main household router?? Any downside? There are three users here with a lot of video streaming at the same time.

I'm so tired.

My spare PC (now working after it blowed up real good) has an Asus AC-68U router. I got AG working on it fine. On my regular PC with the normal household router (Asus AC-3100) I am having still having a bugger of a time. I reset my router to factory defaults, uninstalled all the scripts, formatted the USB drive, installed Entware and AG. Rebooted the router and no go. I compared settings with my spare router and they are exact. What could I have missed in the process?

Maybe the answer is to use the 68U as my main household router?? Any downside? There are three users here with a lot of video streaming at the same time.

I'm so tired.

It might help if you could describe your setup. Multiple routers and multiple modems? Are the two networks totally separate? Or two routers going through one modem, mesh, etc?

I'm so tired.
It might help if you could describe your setup. Multiple routers and multiple modems? Are the two networks totally separate? Or two routers going through one modem, mesh, etc?

Yep it would definitely be better. More info the better. But to be fair, I recommend first starting a separate thread about configuring your main setup because this thread specifically relates to adguardhome installer and not router logistics.

Last edited:

I see that now, my mistake. The routers are completely separate, attached to separate PC's. The only thing they 'share' is the network connection from the bridged modem when I move it back and forth as needed. Everything is pretty vanilla, with no fancy set up at all on either router. That's what gets me, it should be easy to get it to work on the 3100. Both are running Merlin 386.4.

I tried disabling and re-enabling parental control, and the "alloed" domain work instantly.

As for the "per client" setting. I have not tried this, however, reading the setup guides at AGH, they recommend against this, unless you are using AGH built in DHCP server, which I am not.
It was merely suggested since the dhcp is on the same device dhcp host. The only thing I could see you needing to do is configure the client statically on the dhcp page first.

I could give that a try.

However, everything does work for my setup, even if whitelisting a parental control domain takes some time, it still works :)

Thanks alot. I really do love the easy of AGH :cool:
Yea I figured toggling the Parental controls would have the same effect as clearing the cache for those domains. We may need to open a feature suggestion to AGH devs to have a sooner refresh time for those services when a whitelisting occurs to ensure white listing takes immediate precedent.

I see that now, my mistake. The routers are completely separate, attached to separate PC's. The only thing they 'share' is the network connection from the bridged modem when I move it back and forth as needed. Everything is pretty vanilla, with no fancy set up at all on either router. That's what gets me, it should be easy to get it to work on the 3100. Both are running Merlin 386.4.
As you describe it should be working for you, but from my understanding on a previous post you were having issues getting even diversion to work. This leads me suspect something is amiss in your configuration. While personally will not pretend to know or understand your setup, there maybe some people in one of the main router forums that might be able to resolve whatever is causing this condition on your router's. Unfortunately aside from any previous suggestions mentioned there is not any more help that can be suggested as troubleshooting steps on this thread.

To recap, this includes making sure your devices are only using the router they are connected to for DNS, it also means no DNS services built into browsers are redirecting said DNS as well. Also it means that the "modem" is not somehow controlling DNS by means of firewall intervention. It also means that the hosting router has to be the only acting DHCP server ( the only server assigning clients addresses.)

I could give that a try.

However, everything does work for my setup, even if whitelisting a parental control domain takes some time, it still works :)

Thanks alot. I really do love the easy of AGH :cool:
Here is the feature request if any body has other insight they want to share about this delay in parental control refresh.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!