What's new

DNScrypt dnscrypt installer for asuswrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Right after installation before reboot, can you run these commands:
/jffs/dnscrypt/manager dnscrypt-start
pidof dnscrypt-proxy

Then send me the output of these commands as well as any log from dnscrypt-proxy in WebUI System Log.
This is all that I see before a reboot:
Code:
admin: Start dnscrypt-proxy

This is after:
Code:
Feb 13 19:10:23 admin: Start dnscrypt-proxy
Feb 13 19:10:41 ntp: start NTP update
Feb 13 19:11:01 ntp: start NTP update
Feb 13 19:11:21 ntp: start NTP update
Feb 13 19:11:41 ntp: start NTP update

The commands I told to you run return nothing on the shell?

Anyway send me the entire log during installation as well as your dnscrypt-proxy.toml file after installation.

Is there any reason to not use dnscrypt's cache? Or does dnsmasq still cache so it's unnecessary overhead?

Is there any reason to not use dnscrypt's cache? Or does dnsmasq still cache so it's unnecessary overhead?

Few reasons:
- Running dnscrypt as standalone recursive and caching DNS server without dnsmasq as forwarder:
. It can only be run as root as you need to listen on port 53
. Without dnsmasq some internal domain names and router features will not work
- Running dnscrypt as recursive and caching DNS server with dnsmasq as forwarder: unnecessary overhead so it's better to leave dnsmasq with caching function anyway.

Few reasons:
- Running dnscrypt as standalone recursive and caching DNS server without dnsmasq as forwarder:
. It can only be run as root as you need to listen on port 53
. Without dnsmasq some internal domain names and router features will not work
- Running dnscrypt as recursive and caching DNS server with dnsmasq as forwarder: unnecessary overhead so it's better to leave dnsmasq with caching function anyway.
I have some clients that bypass dnsmasq for dns and go direct to dnscrypt (exempting them from AB-Solution filtering), so already running as root on 53 of an IP alias. Since I have that setup, I've enabled the cache, and made use of the cloaking rules for local domain names to still be resolvable. Many thanks for the script making this so simple!

Your setup is exotic. To cover that I would need to include extra code with very little user base for it. I can only try to satisfy most of the users out there.

IMO, with the ability to use old config file after updating, your use case is not an issue at all. Just edit toml file as you like.

Your setup is exotic. To cover that I would need to include extra code with very little user base for it. I can only try to satisfy most of the users out there.

IMO, with the ability to use old config file after updating, your use case is not an issue at all. Just edit toml file as you like.
Yes that's fine, I write code and provide support for a living so I have my changes to your manager script documented and just need to merge them after each update.

dnscrypt-proxy update to 2.0.6 went fine, but the haveged update, not so:
Code:
 Info:  proceeding with your selection.
 =>  Please enter the number designates your selection, [1-2]: 1
 Info:  Downloading haveged
 *** Error:  Unable to download https://github.com/thuantran/dnscrypt-asuswrt-installer/raw/master/armv7/haveged
 Info:  init-start file already configured
 Info:  Operation completed. You can quit or continue
I can access the site from a browser, and could presumably pull down haveged itself. If so, do I just need to replace the file on the router?

RT88U, with Merlin 384.3, amtm 1.1, ABSolution, and pixelserv

This is network issue, lately. Might be related with DOS on github, I dunno. The thing is your browser will silently retry, I don't. I think I'll add retry then.

EDIT: retry added.

Last edited:
Forced an amtm update and ran the haveged update. Still no joy even with retries.
Code:
 Info:  proceeding with your selection.
 =>  Please enter the number designates your selection, [1-2]: 1
 *** Error:  Unable to download https://github.com/thuantran/dnscrypt-asuswrt-installer/raw/master/armv7/haveged
 Info:  manager is up to date. Skipping...
I've downloaded haveged manually and guess I'll swap it out.

Looks like haveged process will need to be terminated first for the executable replacement to work...
Code:
 curl -L -k https://github.com/thuantran/dnscrypt-asuswrt-installer/raw/master/armv7/haveged -o /jffs/dnscrypt/haveged
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   157  100   157    0     0    157      0  0:00:01  0:00:01 --:--:--   107
Warning: Failed to create the file /jffs/dnscrypt/haveged: Text file busy
  1  106k    1  1918    0     0    959      0  0:01:53  0:00:02  0:01:51   959
curl: (23) Failed writing body (0 != 1918)
Thanks for debug suggestion.

EDIT:
FYI: haveged permissions
-rwxr-xr-x 1 admin root 109272 Feb 24 11:44 haveged
(Running as admin)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!