What's new

vnStat [Release] vnStat-on-Merlin - UI, CLI and email - data use and data limit monitoring - R1 and R2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

As described in the intro, the original intent was to replace the built-in stats because on my RT-AC66U_B1 the stats were unreliable (ghost spikes). A fix pushed by Asus has supposedly fixed this for the HND routers, but some still report the spikes on non-HND models. If you have a HND model, vnStat-on-Merlin probably only adds the 'dashboard' view where you can see all usage without having to select different views.

I do not have a method to disable the built-in stats, but if you do, please share.

My pre-release performance testing with vnStat-on-Merlin demonstrates no material impact on CPU or router performance when run every 5 minutes. This application has been tested on single-core models (N66U) through quad-core (AX86U).

The testing, for example, included the single-core N66U running repeated vnStat-on-Merlin refreshes during video calls and during VOIP calls, with no artifacting noted.
Ok, perfect!Thanks for info...

About traffic analyzer, there is a toggle in the Asus settings to disable, or I'm wrong?

Ok, perfect!Thanks for info...

About traffic analyzer, there is a toggle in the Asus settings to disable, or I'm wrong?
Analyzer: yes (or revoke Trend Micro permissions). Monitor: no (and Monitor is the one I was referring to, since it is most closely aligned with vnStat-on-Merlin).

Thanks for info again!

Do you suggest to disable analyzer to reduce consumption ram/CPU or it's not a problem?

In vnstat config, where can I reduce the frequency of update, if possible?

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for info again!

Do you suggest to disable analyzer to reduce consumption ram/CPU or it's not a problem?

In vnstat config, where can I reduce the frequency of update, if possible?

Thanks
My issue with Analyzer is strictly privacy-related; I'd never send my usage to TM. I have actually never used it, so others may wish to comment.

You can reduce the frequency of refresh of vnStat-on-Merlin by editing the cronjob command, either embedded in the script or over-ride it by adding a unique entry to one of the start-up scripts, post-mount, for example. Note: any update to vnStat-on-Merlin would revert this to the default 5 minute refresh period.

If you modify the script, update the line cru a "${SCRIPT_NAME}_generate" "*/5 * * * * /jffs/scripts/$SCRIPT_NAME generate" to change the */5 portion, which has the script run every five minutes. If you want to over-ride, create a cru a entry which calls dn-vnstat on the cycle you'd prefer, in the appropriate script.

Last edited:
My issue with Analyzer is strictly privacy-relate; I'd never send my usage to TM. I have actually never used it, so others may wish to comment.

You can reduce the frequency of refresh of vnStat-on-Merlin by editing the cronjob command, either embedded in the script or over-ride it by adding a unique entry to one of the start-up scripts, post-mount, for example. Note: any update to vnStat-on-Merlin would revert this to the default 5 minute refresh period.

If you modify the script, update the line cru a "${SCRIPT_NAME}_generate" "*/5 * * * * /jffs/scripts/$SCRIPT_NAME generate" to change the */5 portion, which has the script run every five minutes. If you want to over-ride, create a cru a entry which calls dn-vnstat on the cycle you'd prefer, in the appropriate script.
Double ditto the opening sentence. I used it until I actually read what I had agreed to.

My issue with Analyzer is strictly privacy-related; I'd never send my usage to TM. I have actually never used it, so others may wish to comment.

Perfect!

Done!!

Just to be clear, the "Traffic Monitor" tab that records bandwidth is independent of Trend Micro. The TM stuff is on the "Statistic" tab and can be turned off if you don't want it (I have opted out of all TM myself and still have the "Traffic Monitor" data). FYI the configuration for saving Traffic Monitoring data is at Tools -> Other Settings, took me a while to find that.

Just to be clear, the "Traffic Monitor" tab that records bandwidth is independent of Trend Micro. The TM stuff is on the "Statistic" tab and can be turned off if you don't want it (I have opted out of all TM myself and still have the "Traffic Monitor" data). FYI the configuration for saving Traffic Monitoring data is at Tools -> Other Settings, took me a while to find that.
I want it...i just don't want to stress much ram and CPU..

I've a problem, the report says:

Config: Invalid value for UpdateInterval, resetting to "60".

I checked the conf file and update interval is set to 30

Have i touches something else?

I've a problem, the report says:

Config: Invalid value for UpdateInterval, resetting to "60".

I checked the conf file and update interval is set to 30

Have i touches something else?
You won't stress the cpu. Certain settings are enforced to ensure accuracy of reporting

Is there an option to show GiB consistently? In the tabular views, the daily ones especially, it is sometimes hard to spot when MiB switches to GiB, for example:
Code:
 2021-05-16     1.89 GiB |  356.45 MiB |    2.24 GiB
 2021-05-17     3.04 GiB |  435.55 MiB |    3.46 GiB
 2021-05-18    13.21 GiB |    2.91 GiB |   16.12 GiB
 2021-05-19     3.09 GiB |  335.10 MiB |    3.41 GiB
 2021-05-20     5.84 GiB |  324.11 MiB |    6.15 GiB

Is there an option to show GiB consistently? In the tabular views, the daily ones especially, it is sometimes hard to spot when MiB switches to GiB, for example:
Code:
2021-05-16     1.89 GiB |  356.45 MiB |    2.24 GiB
2021-05-17     3.04 GiB |  435.55 MiB |    3.46 GiB
2021-05-18    13.21 GiB |    2.91 GiB |   16.12 GiB
2021-05-19     3.09 GiB |  335.10 MiB |    3.41 GiB
2021-05-20     5.84 GiB |  324.11 MiB |    6.15 GiB
There is a -ru setting, but on 1.18 it doesn't appear to do anything. So: no, at least not on 1.18.

Code:
vnStat 1.18 by Teemu Toivola <tst at iki dot fi>

Query:
         -q, --query           query database
         -h, --hours           show hours
         -d, --days            show days
         -m, --months          show months
         -w, --weeks           show weeks
         -t, --top10           show top 10 days
         -s, --short           use short output
         -ru, --rateunit       swap configured rate unit
         --oneline             show simple parseable format
         --exportdb            dump database in text format
         --importdb            import previously exported database
         --json                show database in json format
         --xml                 show database in xml format
   Modify:
         --create              create database
         --delete              delete database
         -u, --update          update database
         -r, --reset           reset interface counters
         --sync                sync interface counters
         --enable              enable interface
         --disable             disable interface
         --nick                set a nickname for interface
         --cleartop            clear the top 10
         --rebuildtotal        rebuild total transfers from months
   Misc:
         -i,  --iface          select interface (default: eth0)
         -?,  --help           short help
         -D,  --debug          show some additional debug information
         -v,  --version        show version
         -tr, --traffic        calculate traffic
         -l,  --live           show transfer rate in real time
         --style               select output style (0-4)
         --iflist              show list of available interfaces
         --dbdir               select database directory
         --locale              set locale
         --config              select config file
         --savemerged          save merged database to current directory
         --showconfig          dump config file with current settings
         --testkernel          check if the kernel is broken
         --longhelp            display this help

If your overnight reporting disappeared over the past couple of nights, we've discovered an error adding to days with a leading zero. Jack has made a correction for all supported architectures. This does not appear to affect the UI refreshes.

TLDR; A hotfix has been added on R1, please apply it if you're missing your nightly summary reports.

Thanks for your use of vnStat-on-Merlin!