What's new

Reliable router to create LAN with 50 devices connected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

R

rob0976

Hi,

I have a business hosting smartphone quizzes and I want some advice about which router is best to use with the quiz hosting software.

The quiz is run from my laptop which is connected to a router which creates a LAN. Participants then connect to the LAN with their smartphones via an app to play the quiz. This means that pictures and text needs to be sent from my laptop via the router to each of the connected devices and back again regularly and reliably. We can also have over 50 people playing so 50 devices connected to the router.

The company who makes the quiz software recommends using the Buffalo WZR-1750DHP router but I was wondering if anyone could recommend anything better? (http://www.buffalo-technology.com/e...c/routers/wzr-1750dhp-buffalo-airstation.html)

I know this may be an unusual request for advice and I hope I have put my message in the correct place but any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

The Buffalo device is pretty good, but more importantly, the company that develops the Quiz software - it's been tested and proven... which means it's probably a solid one to get, considering your application.

Buffalo isn't as well known in the US for WiFi - this is due to a lawsuit from an Australian University that prohibited Buffalo from selling WiFi gear in the US for many years...

Their more recent gear is forked off DD-WRT, and that's a solid base to work from...

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I was considering getting the recommended router but I was wondering whether a newer, better router was now available as this is nearly 2 years old.

Cheers

Rob

Newer isn't always better. If it's a proprietary software, I'd get their recommended router. Or you may be faced with a 'well, that's not our recommended hardware so you're out of luck' treatment.

Thanks for your advice guys, it is really appreciated and it's really helpful of you to share your knowledge.

Cheers

Rob

I would not buy the 1750 class Buffalo today (if something better works just as well).

What is your timeline for having this working? If you can afford to buy an RT-AC56U and the Buffalo as a backup, that is what I would do.

If the little Asus works, and I recommend you try it with RMerlin's firmware too (you can get deals for as little as $50, if on sale), then return the Buffalo.