What's new

CakeQOS [RESOLVED] Error on RT-AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dev_null

New AX86U, getting scripts set up. Trying to install cake-qos script from here: https://github.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin

I'm getting the below (fatal) error. But when I check the sbin folder, sure enough 'tc' is present (and the script calls tc a number of times well before the 'error in 759'). FWIW in note++, line 759 is 'esac'.

I was going to post over on the github page, but there doesn't seem to be much traffic over there...

Thanks for any insights.

Code:
CakeQOS-Merlin: Starting - ( 110Mbit | 5Mbit | besteffort |  |  )
Broadcom Packet Flow Cache HW acceleration <DISABLED>
CPU Speed (*) ==> Disable
Changing power settings. Forcing cpu to max frequency.
   Set cpuspeed to on(pwr config --cpuspeed on) to make it adaptive again
Broadcom Packet Flow Cache learning via BLOG disabled.
Broadcom Packet Flow Cache flushing the flows
./cake-qos: line 759: /opt/sbin/tc: not found
RTNETLINK answers: File exists

#########################################################

Code:
<<snip>>
757         printf '%-32s |  %-55s\n' "cake-qos uninstall" "uninstall and remove all traces of $SCRIPT_NAME"
758     ;;
759 esac
760 Display_Line
761 if [ -n "$reloadmenu" ]; then echo; printf "[*] Press Enter To Continue..."; read -r "reloadmenu"; exec "$0"; fi
<<snip>>

Both, thank you for your replies. I am well acquainted with setting up these routers now and everything is set up properly. Every other script seems to be running (including the spamming of the syslog reported elsewhere) and I've checked entware for any updates.

Cake itself adds tc during the install.

And yes, I did reboot to see if there was a path issue or anything like that.

I guess I could also ask: is there a way to remove and reinstall entware, short of removing diversion or reformatting the drive?

It took me a couple of hours (after the family went to bed) to get all my stats ported over from my old router and I'm not sure I want to go through that again.

Ideally I'd blow out entware and reinstall, just in case.

I guess I could also ask: is there a way to remove and reinstall entware, short of removing diversion or reformatting the drive?

It took me a couple of hours (after the family went to bed) to get all my stats ported over from my old router and I'm not sure I want to go through that again.

Ideally I'd blow out entware and reinstall, just in case.
I think with amtm, you can type ep to manage the entware packages.

I think with amtm, you can type ep to manage the entware packages.
Don't see anything other than manage. No remove or reinstall that I can see. I'm hoping there's a CLI command.

I believe you may need to stop all other scripts that rely on Entware to be able to remove it.

Last edited:
My understanding is that CakeQoS is NOT supported on the RT-AX86U - the GitHub owner posted in the original thread that the code needed to be reworked for the AX86U.

Edit: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/cakeqos-merlin.64800/post-595130
I have not seen any indication in the posts that follow to suggest recoding done?

Also see this ... https://github.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/issues
Releases/Changelog

• GT-AC2900 & RT-AX86U support (Experimental)
I'm currently using stock, but I've played around with a couple of the betas on my AX86u. I had no issues with CakeQOS on it.

I'm currently using stock, but I've played around with a couple of the betas on my AX86u. I had no issues with CakeQOS on it.

Have you also found Adaptive QoS on stock is working really well - or are you one of the fortunate ones with 1Gb or better ISP broadband speed where QoS is hardly needed?

I believe you may need to stop all other scripts that rely on Entware to be able to remove it.
@L&LD I have no issue stopping the scripts (that would presumably preserve my stats), but I can't locate a command to de-install/reinstall entware. I looked through the diversion scripts to see if there was one hidden in there but my detective skills are apparently lacking.

EDIT: I have actually gone the diversion "nuclear" route: de-installed diversion, which *did* give me the option of de-installing entware. Lost my diversion stats (11M+ blocks!) but that's a small price to pay, I suppose. Will post an update later to whether this fixes the cake-qos issue.

Last edited:
EDIT: I have actually gone the diversion "nuclear" route: de-installed diversion, which *did* give me the option of de-installing entware. Lost my diversion stats (11M+ blocks!) but that's a small price to pay, I suppose. Will post an update later to whether this fixes the cake-qos issue.

This approach worked (de-install Diversion, including entware). I should have dug further into the menu for deletion.

As an aside, cake-qos installs just fine on the AX86U. I'll see how it runs over the next few days. And to respond to a comment above, yes, I'm trying to avoid Trend stuff... I try to keep as much as possible locally (including, for example, running HomeAssistant with Zigbee and Zwave instead of using wifi connected devices).

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!