What's new

Review Suggestion Netgear GS108T-200 (Version 2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

teganwilliams

New Around Here
I was interested in the GS108T but noticed that a passively cooled version 2.0 is on the way. It's probably pretty close otherwise, but I'm still curious about it's performance. They don't have a release date but it's supposedly shipping June 3, '10 according to a retailer.
Thanks!

Wow... that looks very nice indeed. I prefer the new case design too. Personally I'd prefer to have the cables at the back and LEDs on the front, though I realise the way it is is preferred in rack situations. Seems if you want it the other way around you are stuck with consumer-level unmanaged switches.
Also of note is the switch apparently can be powered by PoE which I don't think was possible on the old model.

For non-US folks, these are the worldwide part numbers, according to the PDF data sheet:

– Australia & Asia: GS108T-200AUS
– Europe General: GS108T-200GES
– North America: GS108T-200NAS
– UK: GS108T-200UKS
– Japan: GS108T-200JPS

Last edited:
We don't review switches for performance because there is no significant difference among products in this class and port count. Features, yes. Performance, no.

the gs108tv2 rocks :)

i have one here. definitely a lot more features than the v1.

i think it would be worth the review.

@beisser - seeing as you have one perhaps you could write us a mini-review then :) :)

What kind of network (how many machines, what kind of use it's getting) are you using it with?
Which of it's functions/features are you using, for what purpose, and how do you have it set up?
I'm just curious in what scenarios people are using such switches....

Thanks...

the way im using it, its basically wasted :)

im only using LAG's on the switch for my 2 nas and 3 computers and i have nothing else configured other than that. you _can_ do a ton of fun stuff with it though. it even offers some layer 3 functionality (ip acls). it basically offers the same functionality as http://www.netgear.com/Products/Switches/SmartSwitches/GS724T-300.aspx?detail=Specifications just in a smaller form-factor. the only thing it doesnt have are sfp module slots.

for home or small office you basically cant get any more functionality for your money. i like tims reviews so i would really like to see him review the switch.

Tim, thanks for correcting me. I got the impression that you liked the V1 in your article on smart switches (which I enjoyed btw), and I figured you might also be interested in what's been added to V2. Basically, I`m looking for a feature rich smart switch so that I can learn some more about networking first hand. Maybe try some of the things I read about in your articles. Perhaps you could do a roundup of smart switches or just your top picks. That would also be very useful.
Thanks.

Does anyone know where to find one of these IN STOCK online in the US? I have a friend travelling there in 2 weeks time and would like to have them bring me back one.
Second question.... can anyone (beisser?) confirm that the power-brick for the US-model is dual-voltage?

Does anyone know where to find one of these IN STOCK online in the US? I have a friend travelling there in 2 weeks time and would like to have them bring me back one.
Second question.... can anyone (beisser?) confirm that the power-brick for the US-model is dual-voltage?

i cannot. im sitting in europe, so i only gut the europe powerbrick.

PB is the same in the GS series 128KB and there is only 4k for mac address. Other brands give you 144KB or higher and 8K for mac address. Routing through-put not going to be any better.

Is this GS108T-200 smart switch port based vlan capable ?? My ISP is funny with their configuration. I need to be able to setup vlan by port to get it to work.

Any ideas?

I asked Netgear UK when it was likely to be avilable and they said "We can't give a date as this will [be]come available when all the 100-EUS models have been sold."
So it seems they are waiting until all the old models have sold out, which is rather an odd strategy to adopt after you've already announced that a new model is coming...

Is this GS108T-200 smart switch port based vlan capable ?? My ISP is funny with their configuration. I need to be able to setup vlan by port to get it to work.
The -200 supports all the features of the original GS108T, which includes VLANs.

Well is there something like GS108T-200 but has 5 ports but has 1 gigabyte ports ??

I saw the GS105E which seems to be port based vlan capable, but it uses a windows limited client and it has only 100 mbps ports only.

Configuring port based vlan on the switch is very important for me :{

Last edited:
A warning for those buying in the US - the powerbrick is NOT dual-voltage, it's 110V only - cheap or what? I just received mine and forgot to check so blew the power supply!
Fortunately the switch is fine... and as it's a pretty standard 12V 1A supply, I have another.

Last edited:
Can't remember the last time I saw a 100V range only power supply...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!