What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeah QOS is broken! With it enabled Firefox won't load any sites however Edge will lol. I've had to disable it on the latest new firmware. Still get Kernal errors no fix for that either.

Now it's saying QOS Kernal error's It's a Paid App!

kernel: ERR[set_app_info_qos_meta:3361] It's a paid app, please assign a default bandwidth!

LOL when I have it disabled..

Seriously ASUS You've had an entire month to update the FW and a team and you can't fix these basic features what kind of stupidity is occurring over there? /Rant

**Update**

I went back to 11243. This new firmware just plain sucks it's causing a huge delay in loading webpages/videos.

And My god I had to reboot my router like 3 times and factory reset it to let me change the firmware! It just gets stuck on the "Applying settings".....

Seriously ASUS come on...

Last edited:
I had to go back to 11243 firmware. I could not get to this forum, twitch, and many other sites after the upgrade. Garbage butt firmware.

Yet the new firmware F'd up my router completely. Everyone please comment via the GUI or call asus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt he got paid by Asus, I think it's more a case of "I know I'll get a free $400 router if I write a minimal-effort review, so why not?"

I doubt he got paid by Asus, I think it's more a case of "I know I'll get a free $400 router if I write a minimal-effort review, so why not?"
It's highly unlikely Dong gets to keep anything he reviews. Cnet is owned by CBS. Large sites are very careful to not run afoul of FTC requirements about review compensation.

You guys may not like Dong's reviews. But don't attack the guy personally without having facts to back it up.

Reactions: eJC
Fair enough. Personally, I don't care what his motivations are, I just think the review was downright bad. He gave it the kind of once-over you might expect for a $30 Staples router, not a top-end premium router.

I just think the review was downright bad.

I always considered CNet to be the "fast food of reviewers". Quickly written, quickly read, quickly forgotten. Low on actual content.

When it comes to technical reviews, I prefer to go with more specialized sites, where they aren't as limited in the scope of their technical write-ups. SNB, Anandtech, those types of sites.

I have had a GT-AC5300 for about a week now. With the latest firmware, my WiFi is stable. However, if QOS is enabled and/or a custom DNS is defined while using IPV6, the web UI is very, very slow - it might take a couple minutes to load a page. I find connections via the OpenVPN server to be horribly slow. I previously used a R8000 with DD-Wrt, and OpenVPN was fantastic. With the CPU in the Rapture, I expected better VPN results. Sadly, at this point, the OpenVPN server is pretty much unusable. Oddly, the current firmware doesn't appear to be making full use of the 4 CPU cores. Maybe it is just me, but it looks like only two cores are used? Is it possible that the firmware is relying on legacy code that doesn't consider four cores?

The range and throughput of this router is very good. I have been able to stream audio and video from my backyard. With the R8000, streaming in that location was a bit iffy. I understand that some people have reported connection issue, but with the current firmware, I have not had such problems.

I plan to hang on to this router for now in hopes that Asus will improve the firmware. If not, perhaps a stable open source firmware will eventually become available. In a worse case scenario, I box the Rogue for a few months and go back to the R8000.

Oddly, the current firmware doesn't appear to be making full use of the 4 CPU cores. Maybe it is just me, but it looks like only two cores are used? Is it possible that the firmware is relying on legacy code that doesn't consider four cores?

I think you just aren't taxing the CPU or the app isn't designed to leverage multiple threads/cores. Is that possible?

Hi,
Long time lurker first time poster.
Just got one of these routers and thought I would post my opinion and some of the issues that I have.
While the GUI is the most comprehensive I have seen in a long time ( been on tomato for 5+ years) it still needs a lot of work to improve it, particularly performance wise. It nearly always auto reboots the router when you change even the most minor of settings i.e. changing DHCP to manual assignment and also when adding the IP's manually.
When a reboot occurs the GUI becomes horrendously slow even though there is almost no load (3% on CPU1 and 1% on CPU4,while CPU 2 and 3 are 0%) on the CPU. Only 33% of the memory is being used during this issue.
It then takes upwards of 5 mins after completing reboot to establish a PPPOE connection with the fiber ONT.
My old Rt-N66U leaves this router dead in the water when it comes to GUI performance, which leaves me feeling underwhelmed by its performance for a premium router.
I am also running the router with basic settings with QOS, IPS, network protection etc. disabled but still experience these performance issues.
and of course no wall mounting holes - how dumb is that for people who have space issues or in my case a home networking cabinet.
In my opinion this router seems rushed to market and could do with a complete firmware overhaul as performance is substandard, or better still thay should give it to Merlin to sort it out!

Regards
Mark

This is a serious allegation, SFX. Do you have any proof of this?

I should have added the following line - "in my opinion"...

That being said, CNET does a nice job, in my opinion, of offering subjective observations of a particular product.

Knowing that CNET is a part of a media conglomerate - "in my opinion" suggests that ad-revenue is a big deal for that site.

Bad review, no ad's - pay for play...

Kinda like politics - spend money, get views, shape opinion..

Last edited:
I don't think Asus has ever released a router with good firmware out the door. Look at the RT-AC88 which was their previous gaming router. It has had 11 firmware updates in 2 years and update 5 and 6 they were still making wifi improvements. I've come to deal with the fact ASUS makes some kick-butt hardware but their software engineers are horrible. Honestly I don't have any performance issues though I'm probably not using even half of the features of this router right now. But no Wifi Issues, and the last firmware seemed to fix a lot of the annoying UI issues I had. So right now I'm pretty happy, especially since I ended up paying $289 for it after BB had that price mistake.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!