What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi folks,

Since this would reach the majority of the GT-AC5300 users, any members here using their GT with NordVPN and also using DNS servers other than NordVPN notice that the latest firmware(s) (post 3.0.0.4_384_20648) are forcing you to only use NordVPN DNS servers? Don't want to double post or steal the topic here, but if members here can take a look at this post and see if they can help. Perhaps this can benefit all GT users if it is a bug? Thank you.

Thanks for the advices. I will check it during the weekend (I am travelling now) and report here. I still hope that new FW may solve the issue.
Does anybody know why in my item the TX power adjustment in the "professional" tab is missing. It is described in all manuals for GT-AC5300 though?

Have never seen the TX power adjustment option on any firmware I've had on the 2 I have here in the US.

Unfortunately still no luck with VPN Fusion under this most recent FW... curious at what changed with the last (2) FW versions. Same issues some of you have reported, once VPN is connected (TorGuard, OVPN), all traffic stops. Will modify OVPN settings to see if I can get something to work.

Update: Turns out it was a configuration error, where previously I did not have to upload a Certificate file alongside TorGuard's OVPN file, I now have to in order to get it to connect. Things are now working as expected with VPN Fusion.

Update 2: Turns out my original hunch was completely false... some backstory - I recently switched over from Private Internet Access (PIA) to Torguard but still have PIA active and after several Factory Resets, configuring TorGuard still refused to work. I decided to test out PIA and to my surprise, PIA connected without issue. Once PIA was configured, I went on and configured TorGuard and it too succeeded (Both use OpenVPN). Originally, I had mistakenly thought that uploading the Certificate file was the reason TorGuard worked... it wasn't until I performed another Factory Reset that I found out it had nothing to do with the Certificate. In recreating the steps, for some reason unknown to me, configuring PIA first somehow causes TorGuard to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: eJC
Have never seen the TX power adjustment option on any firmware I've had on the 2 I have here in the US.
Likewise, only time I've seen that option has been on Merlin's FW (edit: on my other Asus Routers)
I have it on Asus latest FW for RT-AC5300 and it is described as a setting feature for WLAN in "Professional" tab in the manual for GT-AC5300.
I always changed this setting according to my needs and now I have strong signal for 5GHz and poor-unstable for 2.4 GHz. I do not understand why it disappeared on the top model.

Since this would reach the majority of the GT-AC5300 users, any members here using their GT with NordVPN and also using DNS servers other than NordVPN notice that the latest firmware(s) (post 3.0.0.4_384_20648) are forcing you to only use NordVPN DNS servers? Don't want to double post or steal the topic here, but if members here can take a look at this post and see if they can help. Perhaps this can benefit all GT users if it is a bug? Thank you.[/QUOTE]

I am using the DNS servers they recommend on their website and everything works just fine with speeds almost close to those offered by my ISP. I know I had to change DNS servers quite a bit with Express VPN but after experiencing Merlin firmware on my RT-AC86U I didn't need to play with different DNS servers any longer. The standard settings in his most recent FW makes OpenVPN setup a breeze and reduces the need to try DNS servers other than those offered to you by your VPN provider.

Have not had a reason to try other DNS servers with NordVPN in my GT-AC5300. Everything works just fine. Makes me wonder though that there may be something in your settings that somehow drives your internet through NordVPN servers...maybe I will try what you mentioned and see if this will happen again.

Speaking of VPN, has anyone tried using ExpressVPN on the new FW (21140) on this router? Is it working now? From my experience, I had to downgrade to 20648 FW version to get it to work as it would not work on the 21045. For some reason it caused VPN Fusion to stop working.

If you are, can you share your experiences?

Thank you!

I know this latest firmware seems to be pretty good UPnP for gaming for auto port forward seems to work good I don’t use the VPN feature so I can’t comment on that Wireless seems more stable on all bands not having the weird 5Ghz-2 disappearing at random times. QoS seems to be working good so far no complaints just hope ASUS gets the updates common. But my Question why we don’t have access to the DFS channels yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using the DNS servers they recommend on their website and everything works just fine with speeds almost close to those offered by my ISP. I know I had to change DNS servers quite a bit with Express VPN but after experiencing Merlin firmware on my RT-AC86U I didn't need to play with different DNS servers any longer. The standard settings in his most recent FW makes OpenVPN setup a breeze and reduces the need to try DNS servers other than those offered to you by your VPN provider.
Yep, when I first got NordVPN, that's what used, their recommended settings and DNS servers. Uploaded the recommend server ovpn file on the GT and everything was working. Later noticed that Amazon was loading so slowly or not at all. I did find out that Amazon loaded in incognito mode, at least enough to log into my account and browse a bit. And NO, no browser extension was interfering. Only run three and I had them turned off. I even ran those extensions in incognito mode. Spent hours with NordVPN support and no resolution. Only that it's a known issue and was being worked on. When I discovered that if I avoided their DNS and used other DNS servers (Google, OpenVPN), Amazon loaded fine and worked as it should. And as you stated, NordVPN was the only provider that offered speeds close to my ISP, so I kept the service.

Have not had a reason to try other DNS servers with NordVPN in my GT-AC5300. Everything works just fine. Makes me wonder though that there may be something in your settings that somehow drives your internet through NordVPN servers...maybe I will try what you mentioned and see if this will happen again.
Gosh, I hoped that would be the reason, my settings. I mean if you used NordVPNs' tool on their website, it's suppose offers the closes and quickest connection and recommend a server to you based on your needs. I am currently using OpenVPN UDP and downloaded that servers' config file (usxxxx.nordvpn.com.udp.ovpn). Using Fusion VPN, clicked on the (+) on the Server List, Select OpenVPN, entered a Description, username, pw, Choose File (usxxxx.nordvpn.com.udp.ovpn) and clicked Upload, and then OK. Clicked on Activate for the newly created connection and waited for the Status to change to the blue circle check. Make that connection Default and clicked on Apply button below. Other than that, my LAN and WAN are configured to use Cloudflare as my DNS servers (1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1). That's it. This has been working for me since I got NordVPN. When I last upgraded to v3.0.0.4.384.21045 and now the current v3.0.0.4.384.21140, is when the problem started up again. Amazon loads slowly or not at all. Sometimes it works, but mostly not. The new firmware is forcing my clients to use NordVPNs' DNS servers and not the custom DNS I've configured. If I downgrade the firmware to the last working firmware (v3.0.0.4.384.20648), everything works again with these settings. I've tried different servers with same results. A factory reset is done after each upgrade/downgrade and manually reconfigured router. So what am I doing wrong?

Update: Turns out it was a configuration error, where previously I did not have to upload a Certificate file alongside TorGuard's OVPN file, I now have to in order to get it to connect. Things are now working as expected with VPN Fusion.

Update 2: Turns out my original hunch was completely false... some backstory - I recently switched over from Private Internet Access (PIA) to Torguard but still have PIA active and after several Factory Resets, configuring TorGuard still refused to work. I decided to test out PIA and to my surprise, PIA connected without issue. Once PIA was configured, I went on and configured TorGuard and it too succeeded (Both use OpenVPN). Originally, I had mistakenly thought that uploading the Certificate file was the reason TorGuard worked... it wasn't until I performed another Factory Reset that I found out it had nothing to do with the Certificate. In recreating the steps, for some reason unknown to me, configuring PIA first somehow causes TorGuard to work.

This is a great post and I think the problem you experienced (I experienced something very similar) is very common. I wonder if you put your certification INSIDE the OVPN file, if you would have had any problems.

This is a great post and I think the problem you experienced (I experienced something very similar) is very common. I wonder if you put your certification INSIDE the OVPN file, if you would have had any problems.

It's definitely turning out to be more complicated as I initially figured, I've now involved TorGuard support and they've been helpful thus far. As I was troubleshooting, I also determined that traffic itself wasn't being denied once the VPN connected, DNS just stopped working - I could still ping Google DNS as well as other DNS services. PIA continues to work without issue.

[QUOTE=" The new firmware is forcing my clients to use NordVPNs' DNS servers and not the custom DNS I've configured. If I downgrade the firmware to the last working firmware (v3.0.0.4.384.20648), everything works again with these settings. I've tried different servers with same results. A factory reset is done after each upgrade/downgrade and manually reconfigured router. So what am I doing wrong?[/QUOTE]

Where are you setting your DNS? Are you setting it under LAN>DHCP SERVER, under WAN>INTERNET CONNECTION, or both? The LAN>DHCP SERVER setting seems to be the one that is used and I'm not sure why its in two separate places (would appreciate Merlin or someone else as experienced, explain why there are two places for the setting).

It's definitely turning out to be more complicated as I initially figured, I've now involved TorGuard support and they've been helpful thus far. As I was troubleshooting, I also determined that traffic itself wasn't being denied once the VPN connected, DNS just stopped working - I could still ping Google DNS as well as other DNS services. PIA continues to work without issue.

I've had NordVPN and PIA both working successfully as outbound VPN (and I have inbound open VPN running as well). I wonder if you have a similar issue to Jerie? Have you noticed the two places were you can configure DNS (under LAN>DHCP SERVER and under WAN>INTERNET CONNECTION)?

I've had NordVPN and PIA both working successfully as outbound VPN (and I have inbound open VPN running as well). I wonder if you have a similar issue to Jerie? Have you noticed the two places were you can configure DNS (under LAN>DHCP SERVER and under WAN>INTERNET CONNECTION)?

Thanks eJC,

The DNS field under LAN>DHCP forces the specified DNS entry to clients requesting an address on your Local LAN - it's generally left blank so the router can handle local network name resolution. Like the WAN DNS settings, it just makes it easier to find a computer (or web address in the case of the WAN setting) on your local network (or Internet in the case of the WAN setting) by name rather than IP address (if field is left blank). If you force the VPN Providers provided DNS address under the LAN DNS field, you lose that ability. Ultimately, in the end both the LAN/WAN DNS fields provide similar functions, they just go about it differently.

With that said, when troubleshooting with TorGuard, we did try several different DNS servers with no luck... but its good to hear that other VPN providers are working as it narrows things down - I can at least go back to TorGuard and let them know that other providers are working without issue.

So far ver. 21140 is solid. Also if any one gives a rats arse, got my installer Entware modified to add root "/" links for relocating the opt directory, and links so that openssh-sftp-server, and rsync can be installed and work.

NOW IF WE COULD COMPILE THE CODE to add some Merlin features.

GRRRRR

Reactions: eJC
So far ver. 21140 is solid. Also if any one gives a rats arse, got my installer Entware modified to add root "/" links for relocating the opt directory, and links so that openssh-sftp-server, and rsync can be installed and work.

NOW IF WE COULD COMPILE THE CODE to add some Merlin features.

GRRRRR

Is it because people just don’t want to or is it like really complicated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most likely missing a step, required. Compiles no errors, version matches but binary too damn short, by 12
Mb.

Just because a firmware image is created doesn’t mean there weren’t any compilation errors.

Though it could also be as simple as Asus missing some things in the GPL archive :/

Just because a firmware image is created doesn’t mean there weren’t any compilation errors.

Though it could also be as simple as Asus missing some things in the GPL archive :/
Could be any of the above

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T677A using Tapatalk

Hello Everyone,

i am facing one issue here

in my 2nd floor i have modem connected to GT -Ac5300 router.
through my internal walls, i have ethernet wiring and have a switch in my closet and form there ethernet wires go through the walls to all my bedrooms.
i have connected another router (RT-AC5300) as ethernet backhaul and configured Aimesh
i have connected my Surfacebook laptop to the router using ethernet wiring ( 1 Gbps network).
when i do the speedtest from the laptop on 3rd floor i am getting only 540 Mbsps Down
when i move files from my internal network from my 2nd floor laptop to 3rd floor laptop, i am getting file transfer speeds to 110 MBPS
but only internet is getting 50% less speed

why am i having this issue and how can i fix it ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!