What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It does look like you're connected to 2.4GHz.
Try using a 5GHz SSID only. Create a new one for 2.4 but don't use it unless some devices are not 5GHz capable. It's better to forget 2.4GHz SSID from devices that can do 5GHz.
If you're using Smart Connect, configure it only for 5GHz radios, not for 2.4.
After update to last firmware, I cought myselft facing for the last 10 days with APIPA issues with my apple devices , despite whatever changes I’ve make, none stands after reboot. So I decided to initialize the router again and this time I upload one backup config and suddenly all my troubles ceased. For my surprise, I just have to turn off roaming assistant, but smart connect is working solid. My conclusion DHCP server probably is bugged in this new firmware, but I can speak only by mu experience. Thank’s for helping me.

I have finally fixed every issue with this router :) link aggregation , ports 1 & 2 with this, I fixed the throughput and internet connection issues with this, all the wifi issues go away with a few of these and to really drive home the speed you need this . I can honestly say everything finally works like it should. I guess my point to all this is unless something drastically changes and I have to power up the ole asus, I wanted to thank all those that made the struggle with me and for all the help and advice along the way. Good Luck.

e
I have finally fixed every issue with this router :) link aggregation , ports 1 & 2 with this, I fixed the throughput and internet connection issues with this, all the wifi issues go away with a few of these and to really drive home the speed you need this . I can honestly say everything finally works like it should. I guess my point to all this is unless something drastically changes and I have to power up the ole asus, I wanted to thank all those that made the struggle with me and for all the help and advice along the way. Good Luck.
I also tried the Ubnt route. However the performance of USG was terrible. Enabling a few features and the performance drops. The GT-AC5300 handles 1 gbit download easily with all features enabled.

And Ubnt does not even have a proper IDS (yet) and site blocking like AiProctection. This is my biggest issue with Ubnt. Their routers are underpowered.

I am sure though the performance of the HD AP's are great. I did the mistake of listening to all the Reddit fanboys claiming the AC Pro had great performance. So I bought those. That was a lie. The performance sucks and reviews shows the HD is much better on 1x1 - 3x3 clients. But they are still in denial about that.

Yeah I went with the edge 4 router and edge switch that had better specs than the unifi series. The router you chose is like 1mill pps and the edge 4 is like 4 mill pps. The HD ap's are way better, the reddit turds were just trying to make themselves feel better. Much more hardware in the HD (also almost 3 times the price).

Last edited:
Yeah I went with the edge 4 router and edge switch that had better specs than the unifi series. The router you chose is like 1mill pps and the edge 4 is like 4 mill pps. The HD ap's are way better, the reddit turds were just trying to make themselves feel better. Much more hardware in the HD (also almost 3 times the price).
Yes there are many moronic fanboys in there. And most have not heard of SNB! BTW why not the Nano HD? Is it the 2.4 GHz performance?

yes.
Yes there are many moronic fanboys in there. And most have not heard of SNB! BTW why not the Nano HD? Is it the 2.4 GHz performance?
yes, alot of devices are still 2.4. Also i believe the full size is still more beefy (500 users vs 200) i would definitely entertain the NANO for additional APs in areas the 2.4 isnt needed.

oh the full size also does LAG so i have two cat 6 per AP.

Solved all my problems 2 weeks ago with the GT-AC5300. Sold it and got a ER-4 Edgerouter and UAP AC PRO for wireless. Fantastic performance and stability. No wireless dropouts or router disconnects for over 2 weeks now, where as the Gt-AC5300 would drop wireless or lose WAN connection or just reboot every other day. This gear cost me only 2/3rds of what I paid for the GT-AC5300 and I couldn't be happier. Bye Bye Asus...

I haven't read this marathon thread completely but based on these latest replies is it realistic for someone without a lot of routing experience to replace an rt-ac56u with a more elaborate setup like er-4/uap? Or should I stay simple with a new asus all-in-one? This is also becoming a hobby for me so it doesn't have to be real practical/easy.

EDIT: wrong thread for this question

Last edited:
Solved all my problems 2 weeks ago with the GT-AC5300. Sold it and got a ER-4 Edgerouter and UAP AC PRO for wireless. Fantastic performance and stability. No wireless dropouts or router disconnects for over 2 weeks now, where as the Gt-AC5300 would drop wireless or lose WAN connection or just reboot every other day. This gear cost me only 2/3rds of what I paid for the GT-AC5300 and I couldn't be happier. Bye Bye Asus...
Sure it may be more stable but "fantastic performance". That's a tall tale to say the least. The Pro performs much worse even on 1x1, 2x2 and 3x3 clients. Many reviews prove this and I have also tried this myself. Though the reddit fanboys will claim otherwise because they base their facts on the numbers on the box.

Sure it may be more stable but "fantastic performance". That's a tall tale to say the least. The Pro performs much worse even on 1x1, 2x2 and 3x3 clients. Many reviews prove this and I have also tried this myself. Though the reddit fanboys will claim otherwise because they base their facts on the numbers on the box.
Router is a ER-4 not a Pro and has basically twice the performance of the Pro. The wireless is a Pro version and beats the pants off the the GT-AC 5300 in performance and stability.
If anything I have always been an Asus fanboy but after 18 Mths of constant issues with it, I had enough. The ER-4 just works where as Asus have royally screwed the pooch with the Gt-AC5300.

Router is a ER-4 not a Pro and has basically twice the performance of the Pro. The wireless is a Pro version and beats the pants off the the GT-AC 5300 in performance and stability.
If anything I have always been an Asus fanboy but after 18 Mths of constant issues with it, I had enough. The ER-4 just works where as Asus have royally screwed the pooch with the Gt-AC5300.
The Pro I am referring to is the AC Pro. The only Pro device you claim to have and yes not ER-4 since it is not a Pro. Now we have stating the obvious out of the way let's continue.

No the AC Pro DOES not beat the GT-AC5300 in performance! You have been drinking the kool-aid from your reddit buddies. Ever heard of this site we are on that actually tests these things?

Example: SmallNetBuilder (test revision 9 - 2x2 client):

UAP Pro: 5GHz UpDown Throughput: 433.7
RT-AC5300: 5GHz UpDown Throughput: 577.5

It is not possible to view the GT-AC5300 in revision 9. But after having BOTH the RT and GT the performance is very close though the GT is a bit better IMO.

Or check this comparison between the Pro and the HD + Synology RT2600ac:
https://www.custompcreview.com/revi...k-pro-touchbar-wi-fi-3x3-mimo-make-difference

There is a huge difference between old 3x3 AP's like the Pro and the newer 4x4 class as Tim also has elaborated here:
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...ll-a-new-ac-router-bring-you-wifi-joy?start=1

And you will be missing MU-MIMO - which is not really a miss - but also another dedicated 5GHz radio and that does improve performance when the network is congested. These are facts and not disputable. However on reddit there are a LOT of BS claims about the Pro's performance and I initially bought it to replace the RT-AC3200. I did not take long to discover that the AC Pro delivered 352 Mbps vs 760 Mbps the RT-AC3200 had on the same client. The Ubnt equipment went back. Today they at least have the HD AP's (normal and AP) so the performance of these devices are much better - that is why Maahfu bought them as he explained af few posts ago.

The Pro I am referring to is the AC Pro. The only Pro device you claim to have and yes not ER-4 since it is not a Pro. Now we have stating the obvious out of the way let's continue.

No the AC Pro DOES not beat the GT-AC5300 in performance! You have been drinking the kool-aid from your reddit buddies. Ever heard of this site we are on that actually tests these things?

Example: SmallNetBuilder (test revision 9 - 2x2 client):

UAP Pro: 5GHz UpDown Throughput: 433.7
RT-AC5300: 5GHz UpDown Throughput: 577.5

It is not possible to view the GT-AC5300 in revision 9. But after having BOTH the RT and GT the performance is very close though the GT is a bit better IMO.

Or check this comparison between the Pro and the HD + Synology RT2600ac:
https://www.custompcreview.com/revi...k-pro-touchbar-wi-fi-3x3-mimo-make-difference

There is a huge difference between old 3x3 AP's like the Pro and the newer 4x4 class as Tim also has elaborated here:
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...ll-a-new-ac-router-bring-you-wifi-joy?start=1

And you will be missing MU-MIMO - which is not really a miss - but also another dedicated 5GHz radio and that does improve performance when the network is congested. These are facts and not disputable. However on reddit there are a LOT of BS claims about the Pro's performance and I initially bought it to replace the RT-AC3200. I did not take long to discover that the AC Pro delivered 352 Mbps vs 760 Mbps the RT-AC3200 had on the same client. The Ubnt equipment went back. Today they at least have the HD AP's (normal and AP) so the performance of these devices are much better - that is why Maahfu bought them as he explained af few posts ago.
This is all I have to say:
GT-AC5300 might in your opinion have superior wireless performance but in my case it was not so - Constant wireless disconnects and 5G channel going missing (reported by numerous people)
Router rebooting intermittently for no apparent reason (highest log level used to debug and nothing recorded as to the cause)
I have a large family of internet users and while using the Asus they were always complaining of poor wireless performance and constant disconnects.
2 weeks later on the Ubiquiti gear and not one complaint from any of my 4 kids and wife. All have said that if anything, the speed and performance is much better.
Needless to say this is all the confirmation I need to hear, as this is real life performance and not a test done in controlled lab conditions by hardware review sites.
I will be the first to admit that on paper the GT-AC5300 is an impressive piece of gear and the specs were the main reason I purchased it on release and stuck with it for 18 months and even RMA'd 3 of them in the hope that the issues would be sorted, which if you look at the forums around the web has not happened.
Its like having a Ferrari that goes like hell but breaks down every couple of miles - rather have a Toyota that never breaks down and just chugs on.

This is all I have to say:
GT-AC5300 might in your opinion have superior wireless performance but in my case it was not so - Constant wireless disconnects and 5G channel going missing (reported by numerous people)
Router rebooting intermittently for no apparent reason (highest log level used to debug and nothing recorded as to the cause)
I have a large family of internet users and while using the Asus they were always complaining of poor wireless performance and constant disconnects.
2 weeks later on the Ubiquiti gear and not one complaint from any of my 4 kids and wife. All have said that if anything, the speed and performance is much better.
Needless to say this is all the confirmation I need to hear, as this is real life performance and not a test done in controlled lab conditions by hardware review sites.
I will be the first to admit that on paper the GT-AC5300 is an impressive piece of gear and the specs were the main reason I purchased it on release and stuck with it for 18 months and even RMA'd 3 of them in the hope that the issues would be sorted, which if you look at the forums around the web has not happened.
Its like having a Ferrari that goes like hell but breaks down every couple of miles - rather have a Toyota that never breaks down and just chugs on.
All you are mentioning here are stability issues - not performance issues. I have already mentioned the Ubnt solution may be more STABLE but does not yield a better performance. And it objectively does not. And I am sorry but relying on the rest of the household to actual measure performance compared a professional like Tim is not very serious.

Ubiquiti has routers subjectively equal to the gt-ac5300 (edgerouter 4) and wifi (Unifi ap pro hd) minus a 5ghz radio. My ubiquiti setup way out performs and much stabler than my gt-ac5300.(real world) Hardware specs may look similar but these are enterprise grade routers not best bid parts. My AP Pro HD access point doesn't need 2 5ghz radios because it was made to support 500+ commercial clients on 1 5ghz radio. Now all said and done, I've spend almost $1000 on my setup where as I think I paid $400 for the Asus. But I will tell you there are no quirks, no drop off, no lag, it just works all the time with much higher speeds than I ever saw with the gt-ac5300. Not hating I just got tired of wrestling with the damn thing. I was holding out for the ax1100 but then came to my senses. Why do I want to be a beta client again.

Also you cant just do a strait across comparison. There is much more hardware support in the ubiquiti system than in the Asus. Example my wireless AP has a dedicated CPU, ram, and OS. Connected to a dedicated switch with a 2gbs lag connection. My router also doesn't get bogged down with lan use because of the dedicated 16 port edgeswitch with again it's own CPU, ram and OS. My router is a 3.4 million packet a second beast connected to the switch with a fiber connection. So don't sit there and blast Mark or the reddit guys until you try. Come play with the big boys. Sorry for the jab.

Last edited:
I have already played with USG, Cloud Key, switch and 3 AC Pros. This setup was and IS quite lacking in performance. The AC Pros are not match for any 4x4 class AP as clear shown in the numbers for Tims tests. However the AP HD is another story but another price also. So my performance issue is WITH the AC Pro and you also avoided this AP yourself.

Claiming that an AC Pro is par on performance with the GT-AC5300 is objectively not true.

But then there is the price within your setup. In my country a single setup with ER4, switch, cloud key, AP HD cost more than twice the price of a GT-AC5300. So for that price better performance and stabillity should be possible. However the Wifi performance is only on par (maybe different with 200+ clients but here the extra 5GHz radio help) and the routing performance is good on the ER4 but activating IDS and the gigabit routing performance goes south. The GT-AC5300 will still handle gigabit with all bells and whistles on.

I have already played with USG, Cloud Key, switch and 3 AC Pros. This setup was and IS quite lacking in performance. The AC Pros are not match for any 4x4 class AP as clear shown in the numbers for Tims tests. However the AP HD is another story but another price also. So my performance issue is WITH the AC Pro and you also avoided this AP yourself.

Claiming that an AC Pro is par on performance with the GT-AC5300 is objectively not true.

But then there is the price within your setup. In my country a single setup with ER4, switch, cloud key, AP HD cost more than twice the price of a GT-AC5300. So for that price better performance and stabillity should be possible. However the Wifi performance is only on par (maybe different with 200+ clients but here the extra 5GHz radio help) and the routing performance is good on the ER4 but activating IDS and the gigabit routing performance goes south. The GT-AC5300 will still handle gigabit with all bells and whistles on.

Actually I have 2 different VPN tunnels, ids and a few others with only 10% ram usage and 5% CPU. The bonus to the enterprise router is you don't get all the extra worthless bs bells and whistles running unless you install them, soooooo it runs efficiently and smooth. I also bet (know) my VPN speeds are faster than they were on the Asus. This router is amazing. I will agree the USG base model is underpowered. The USG pro router is better. The EdgeRouter line is God sent and the sky is the limit with functionality.

Last edited:
All you are mentioning here are stability issues - not performance issues. I have already mentioned the Ubnt solution may be more STABLE but does not yield a better performance. And it objectively does not. And I am sorry but relying on the rest of the household to actual measure performance compared a professional like Tim is not very serious.

You're confounding the terms "throughput" and "performance" and are only using one data point

Performance includes stability and reliability, not just speed and not just in a lab but real, actual performance

The throughput (or even performance) of this router is zero when it's spontaneously rebooting, which happens regularly

You're confounding the terms "throughput" and "performance" and are only using one data point

Performance includes stability and reliability, not just speed and not just in a lab but real, actual performance

The throughput (or even performance) of this router is zero when it's spontaneously rebooting, which happens regularly
So what you are basically saying is the following sentence
"Fantastic performance and stability."
actually means
"Fantastic speed, stability and stability." ?
And when EVEN though MarkSW explicitly splits performance and stability up in two words he still refers to performance as a stability parameter. This makes sense to you or did you miss the context?

You DID miss the context. I am telling you I did the testing of this myself and found the same results as Tim and CustomPCReview. But I am guessing this is not reliable sources?

I doesn't. I have had it for a year and it does not reboot all the time. You must have a faulty device. Why did you not exchange it? If it keeps rebooting then it is completely unacceptable!

Actually I have 2 different VPN tunnels, ids and a few others with only 10% ram usage and 5% CPU. The bonus to the enterprise router is you don't get all the extra worthless bs bells and whistles running unless you install them, soooooo it runs efficiently and smooth. I also bet (know) my VPN speeds are faster than they were on the Asus. This router is amazing. I will agree the USG base model is underpowered. The USG pro router is better. The EdgeRouter line is God sent and the sky is the limit with functionality.
Yes I am sure the ER4 beats the USG by far. It is also serious underpowered. As I said the USG and the Pros where basically the options when I tried it out and there where lacking in performance IMO. Stability was another thing. I had them to short to proper determine but did experience Cloud Key issues and the switch loosing configuration within those few days. But maybe it would have proven to be reliable in the long run but so was my RT-AC3200. And I have deployed many RT-AC68Us that keep working without reboots or any issue. The devices need to reach a certain level of maturity to be stable and this also goes for Ubnt products. Many people seems frustrated with Nano HD these days because the firmware simply does not seem to be there yet.

Yes I am sure the ER4 beats the USG by far. It is also serious underpowered. As I said the USG and the Pros where basically the options when I tried it out and there where lacking in performance IMO. Stability was another thing. I had them to short to proper determine but did experience Cloud Key issues and the switch loosing configuration within those few days. But maybe it would have proven to be reliable in the long run but so was my RT-AC3200. And I have deployed many RT-AC68Us that keep working without reboots or any issue. The devices need to reach a certain level of maturity to be stable and this also goes for Ubnt products. Many people seems frustrated with Nano HD these days because the firmware simply does not seem to be there yet.
The nanos are less powerful that the pro HD. 1 pro HD covers my whole house 2500sf

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!