What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hey everyone! I have a strange issue and was wondering if anyone might know the reason for this.. Here it is! When I add my ISP DNS the pings are showing higher then what they should be on my network ping and don't know why this is.. My ISP DNS servers should be pinging around 3ms-8ms.. But when used in my ASUS they are showing 70ms or higher.. If I use ping plotter and ping my ISP DNS they show pings as normal 3ms-8ms.. Strange thing is if I use google or other DNS servers alike there ping show correct in the network ping display on the routers main page dashboard.. Anyone have any ideas to why my ISP DNS don't show correct? Thanks!

Zippy.

It has taken far to much of my time however I finally have this oversized buggy af router stable and running fast. Have had no wireless drops in over a day. I am seriously bugged by not being able to enable blocks based on country, or IP/range/subnet. I came across Skynet which looks like it would do the trick however I am totally not understanding how to get it installed on this device. Has anyone out here installed it on a GT-AC5300? Care to assist??? :) Thanks much!

It has taken far to much of my time however I finally have this oversized buggy af router stable and running fast. Have had no wireless drops in over a day. I am seriously bugged by not being able to enable blocks based on country, or IP/range/subnet. I came across Skynet which looks like it would do the trick however I am totally not understanding how to get it installed on this device. Has anyone out here installed it on a GT-AC5300? Care to assist??? :) Thanks much!

Hope to be wrong, but I think you need to be running RMerlin to install scripts. :(

Looking to install Skynet on a non merlin updated GT-AC5300

RMerlin doesn't support GT routers. I am not sure if any script can be run on stock Asus firmware.

Hello All,

I just purchased the named above router and i am super happy with it. Since there is no RMerlin fw for it, could someone please tell me how to setup DDNS, given that I could not change the home gateway to be a bridge. Any kind of help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Hello All,

I just purchased the named above router and i am super happy with it. Since there is no RMerlin fw for it, could someone please tell me how to setup DDNS, given that I could not change the home gateway to be a bridge. Any kind of help is appreciated.

Thank you.

For DDNS, just pick a unique name that will be memorable to you. :)

In the home gateway, either set the GT-AC5300's IP address in a DMZ or, simply disable NAT. ;)

For DDNS, just pick a unique name that will be memorable to you. :)

In the home gateway, either set the GT-AC5300's IP address in a DMZ or, simply disable NAT. ;)

Hello,

thanks for the swift response. I already picked a name.

But the problem is; I have [as in the ISP has installed] Alcatel Lucent I-240G-D is kinda locked, so I could only set DMZ, NAT settings are hidden, Bridge mode is hidden. Still a pickle!!

I was thinking, and I know you said "I am not sure if any script can be run on stock Asus firmware," but can we try if all fails?

thank you

Hello All,

Thank you.

There is stock DDNS functionality on the router. Select WAN from the left menu bar, and then select the DDNS tab. There are quite a few DDNS providers to choose from (dyndns, google, NO-IP, etc). And ASUS even provides the service for free with a built in Let's Encrypt cert.

Thank you eJC, but the problem is that I am behind a GPON gateway, and this gateway gives my router an ip of 192.x.x.x, and this is the ip that the router shares when i try to access my ddns name. problem is that the gateway is kinda locked (somethings, such as NAT) by ISP, and i cannot change them.

thank you

Thank you eJC, but the problem is that I am behind a GPON gateway, and this gateway gives my router an ip of 192.x.x.x, and this is the ip that the router shares when i try to access my ddns name. problem is that the gateway is kinda locked (somethings, such as NAT) by ISP, and i cannot change them.

thank you

Depending exactly what 192.x.x.x IP address it gives out, that may still be a public IP address.

If it is a private IP address, there is no reason to mask it. ;)

Depending exactly what 192.x.x.x IP address it gives out, that may still be a public IP address.

If it is a private IP address, there is no reason to mask it. ;)

Yes, it's private. The router is just using the IP it received on the WAN interface from the ISP-provided gateway; Asus' DDNS implementation won't work here. I use OpenDNS and it has a DNS-o-matic (DynDNS) option.
  • 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
  • 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
  • 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
  • 127.0.0.1 - Loopback

hello All,

@L&LD , Im not masking anything, it is 192.168.1.1 :)

and @Rolo, i cannot find OpenDNS, but found DNSOMATIC, will try and let you know.

thank you all

Does the GPON have more than one LAN port? Do any of the others provide a public IP address? Is the ISP provider not willing to help out with this (put you in a DMZ, for example)?

Even with an otherwise private IP, if they put your router in a DMZ, you should be able to use DDNS and OpenVPN server(s) normally.

Another security release. No new features. And months later no news on getting back the 2nd 5GHz radio on AiMesh.
Before you ask, LLD, no, I won't do a factory reset if the release notes are not big enough. This is just another well appreciated security release, but with no new features.

Another security release. No new features. And months later no news on getting back the 2nd 5GHz radio on AiMesh.
Before you ask, LLD, no, I won't do a factory reset if the release notes are not big enough. This is just another well appreciated security release, but with no new features.

I won't ask but will comment that until you do so, then you can't be 100% sure what is working properly or not. :)

Does the GPON have more than one LAN port? Do any of the others provide a public IP address? Is the ISP provider not willing to help out with this (put you in a DMZ, for example)?

Even with an otherwise private IP, if they put your router in a DMZ, you should be able to use DDNS and OpenVPN server(s) normally.

the GPON (Alcatel Lucent) has 4 ports, one for internet, one for TV receiver. I was able to access the GPON interface in the past and put my router in DMZ, however, that didnt work for DDNS, but works for port forwarding. ISP support is very unhelpful and when I call asking for an unlocked GPON, they direct me to someone to sell me static ip packages.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!