What's new

[ROG RAPTURE GT-AX11000] Experiences & Discussion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can someone please answer this as I can't get my head around it!

If I have 2.4/5-1 SSID not hidden but my 5GHz-2 set as hide SSID (only want the one showing) does AiMesh still work?
Yes. That's how mine is configured by default. In my setup, with no wired backhaul, 5 GHz-2 is used as a dedicated WiFi backhaul under AiMesh mode. It's hidden by design, and the name of the SSID is changed slightly. So far, AiMesh works great. I haven't had a single issue.

If you're using a wired backhaul, and manually set 5 GHz to hidden, I don't know if that disrupts AiMesh or not.

Thank you Gouldin for the winfi app (awesome) idea and the screenshots. I got both 5G-1 and 5G-2 working at 160 Mhz. Like yours, my mesh node for 5G-2 is 160 Mhz and the 5G-1 is at 80 Mhz on my AX-92U. Is it supposed to be 80 Mhz on the mesh? edit: I see only the 5G-2 on the mesh is AX...so the 5G-1 is AC so 80 Mhz is normal.

Also, this is with the older firmware. I'll try updating the firmware again from 6436 to 7979 and see if it works for me this time. I was getting dropouts and massive speed reductions 350 Mbps down to 1 Mbps on 5G-1 when switching between nodes after I updated when it first came out. Has it been stable for you?

Last edited:
I've found it to be rock solid for me, no drop outs on any of the bands so far.

Correct about ax92u. 5ghz-2 is AX 160mhz.
5-ghz1 is only an AC band at 80mhz. Which is fine for me as I'm mostly using it as a media bridge for my PS4 Pro and TV.

Any remedy’s on how to have all 3 bands available when using AIMesh?

Currently have the AX11000 and 68u connected via wired cat 5e backhaul.

Will getting another Asus AX Tri-band ( looking at the zenwifi XT8) correct the backhaul issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It self corrected after I rebooted modem and routers

But not sure what happened

Also why is 5ghz band 2 occupied in AI mesh when I have it hardwired??? Makes no sense

Apparently Asus still reserves that 2nd 5ghz band (the fastest band) for AiMesh if the ethernet backhaul goes down no matter what. It ticks me off and I am looking to jump ship if they don't update it anytime soon to the new Alien routers from Amplifi because I have verified that their's does not do this.

Any remedy’s on how to have all 3 bands available when using AIMesh?

Currently have the AX11000 and 68u connected via wired cat 5e backhaul.

Will getting another Asus AX Tri-band ( looking at the zenwifi XT8) correct the backhaul issue?

Read an article and they still reserve the 2nd 5ghz band for backhaul no matter what as well.

I think I might just get rid of the AIMesh and move the AX11000 to the center of the house

I switch my GT 5300 to ax11000, and I find the upload speed is slower than GT5300. The GT 5300 upload speed is around 400mbs, but the ax11000 is around 200mbs. my internet is 400/400 fios, and the ax11000 is running the latest firmware. I have no idea why the upload speed is so slow, and the download speed faster than GT 5300.

Figured out yesterday how to get my speed on wifi back. Chanel was automatic on wifi. When I choosed a chanel I got my speed back

My router arrived today while in work so hoping to get home soon to setup. I had the 5300 previously and had all 3 Ssid's combined, I'm wondering how the majority of owners have this setup? Does smart connect work as expected? Or would I be better to separate them?

Any other little things to configure for best performance? I don't have any AX devices at the moment.

Been using Smart Connect for a while now. Been good for me here.

I haven't used smart connect since I had a rt-ac3200.

Found it worked great for getting a connection, but devices tenders to prefer sticking to 2.4ghz and tweaking the rules was a pain, so just split them out to separate ssid's nowadays.
2.4 for smart devices like doorbell, Alexa Nd Google stuff.
5ghz-1 for most AC and ax clients
5ghz-2 for aimesh and a few AX devices that I want to have the cleanest signal for copying from my nas's 2.5gb ethernet link.

So I initially set it up with them separated and wanted the 5g 2 one for gaming. Everything seemed to connect ok and the kids pc's were hitting over 200mb but then they suddenly stopped seeing the gaming SSID.

I tried smart connect and everything connects but the speeds are terrible. I have 500mb into the house and my phone is getting 50mb connected to 5g. Same phone on my virgin media hub gets 450mb.

Any tweaks I've missed? I updated to the later firmware when I turned it on for the first time.

Are you using aimesh?

If so, then the ssid needs unhiding. I did that via the app on my phone.

If not, what clients are you using, are they able to use dfs channels / channels beyond the usual 36-48? A lot of earlier 5ghz cards could use anything but 36-48 and a lot of products like amazons fire HD boxes/sticks etc can't either.

Are you using aimesh?

If so, then the ssid needs unhiding. I did that via the app on my phone.

If not, what clients are you using, are they able to use dfs channels / channels beyond the usual 36-48? A lot of earlier 5ghz cards could use anything but 36-48 and a lot of products like amazons fire HD boxes/sticks etc can't either.

Not using aimesh and my second 5ghz came online after 10 minutes.

Just noticed another little quirk, I tried to reserve a few IP address and every time I press apply it disconnects everything and then most devices have a problem getting back online. I don't remember anything like this on the GT-AC5300 I had before, Surely just reserving an IP for a device should not cause any issues.

Oh and cheers for your input!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online