What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 finally announced

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

could you tell me how much speed on vpn you get with your new router?

Based on CPU type and clock speed alone, I expect about 300Mbps on OpenVPN.

I have completed wall mounting this router next to my other wall-mounted gear. It is secure but looks over-the-top ridiculous, even for a walk-in closet. The antennas are just so comically chunky, huge and overdone.

Keeping all my network devices wall mounted together seemed ideal, but I'll probably put this further away on a high shelf.
This beast is better lying on it’s back. It’s definitely unusual looking, but, it does the job fine! I also bought an RT-AX86U that I’m going to backhaul wire mesh with the GT-AX6000. I just don’t want to leave any sq. foot of my house uncovered by WiFi. ;)

Just upgraded the firmware on my GT-AX6000 and backhaul wired meshed AX86U, with Merlin's 386.6.0 and 386.5.2 respectively and I can report that "So far, So good". @RMerlin thanks for looking into the GT-AX6000 firmware. Yours isn't as fancy colored as the Asus one, but I like the simplicity and features that your Firmware provides. I think that I will stick with it. Cheers :)

I do not like the Asus ROG webui, and glad RMerlin does not include the "theme".

EDIT: I was concerned about the "lights and modes" still appearing in the RMerlin fw, until I noticed the toggle to "Off" the lights.
To quote my teenage son "why do you need lights on a router?", and he has rbg keyboard/mouse.

Last edited:
I do not like the Asus ROG webui, and glad RMerlin does not include the "theme".

EDIT: I was concerned about the "lights and modes" still appearing in the RMerlin fw, until I noticed the toggle to "Off" the lights.
To quote my teenage son "why do you need lights on a router?", and he has rbg keyboard/mouse.
I like the light show on the router...it's what makes it.....ROG?! ;)

My router is sitting on a shelf in a network closet. I have the network lights active, so I know visually, if there is an issue.
Question: Is there a way of dimming the lights?

RE: ROG Lighting - I'm really happy the red plastic accent on the antennae do not light!
ROG- Really Outrages Griswald (I might still have issues with lights.)

Last edited:
My router is sitting on a shelf in a network closet. I have the network lights active, so I know visually, if there is an issue.

RE: ROG Lighting - I'm really happy the red plastic accent on the antennae do not light!
Oh Clark....

There's a switch on the router to turn off the lights...that dim enough for you *smile*? The switch is a triangular one labeled "LED" (pretty creative) on the lower right of the front.

My AX6000 Is Great!
The REAL Problem: I failed to provide proper exhaust ventilation to the media closet, and have the door open, which has caused an issue with The Wife, regarding fan noise and lights.
Issue Solved - I close the door when The Wife is home, and will install proper exhaust ventilation to media closet. I thought better about trying to convince The Wife I need to put a glass door or cut in a view pane.
Although, the AXE16000 may require looking at Mirrored Top

EDIT:
"If The Internet Is Down, We Will Let You Know"" - The Wife

Last edited:
The tech in the RoG line is impressive, but what on earth is up with the designs (ax6000, axe16000)? Do gamer's really want these monstrosities on their desks? They are like the Civic Type-R of wifi. Merlin's toned down GUI, and closet placement are essential, good grief. When will a AXE86U be available?

Last edited:
Mine ended up on the wall in the laundry room with all wires in the wall :) "What is that, are we trying to pick up signals from mars now????" SMH

Attachments

• wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 397
I was initially waiting on the ROG AXE1600 but didn’t feel the cost was worth it considering how few 6E devices are out there (none in my household yet) and with other AXE routers surely on the way in the near future - so I picked up the ROG AX6000.

a) did I make the proper call (or should I have held out for the upcoming AXE1600)?

b) is using RMerlin f/w a must on the AX6000 - or should I stick with stock Asus f/w?

a) did I make the proper call (or should I have held out for the upcoming AXE1600)?

b) is using RMerlin f/w a must on the AX6000 - or should I stick with stock Asus f/w?
I don't think there's a wrong choice in all this. Obviously the AX6000 has been out for a little bit now, and it has Merlin's support as well. In terms of stability, the AX6000 should be the better of the two, as the AXE16000 hasn't even launched yet. Also no confirmed Merlin support for the AXE16000 yet, or if it ever will be.

I think having Merlin's builds is important, as it give you more builds to pick between, especially if there's a period of Asus builds that are rather buggy, which does happen. As for running Merlin's builds. If you don't need some of his added features, and such. Plus the Asus build is running fine for you. Use whatever build you want. Obviously Merlin's builds give you a little more stuff to play with.

For me personally, I'm holding out for the AXE16000, but I will not judge anyone picking the AX6000. As the AXE16000 is a good bit more expensive, and it's an unknown router at the moment. Until people are able to use it, and do some testing, there's a lot of questions on if it's worth the price. Lastly I don't think it's fair to judge a brand new router for a good 6 months, or so, in regards to the software being a bit buggy. So if that kind of stuff isn't something you like. The AX6000 is without question the better option right now. Buying the AXE16000 at launch, consider yourself test dummy, things might not work the best for a little while.

I don't think there's a wrong choice in all this. Obviously the AX6000 has been out for a little bit now, and it has Merlin's support as well. In terms of stability, the AX6000 should be the better of the two, as the AXE16000 hasn't even launched yet. Also no confirmed Merlin support for the AXE16000 yet, or if it ever will be.

I think having Merlin's builds is important, as it give you more builds to pick between, especially if there's a period of Asus builds that are rather buggy, which does happen. As for running Merlin's builds. If you don't need some of his added features, and such. Plus the Asus build is running fine for you. Use whatever build you want. Obviously Merlin's builds give you a little more stuff to play with.

For me personally, I'm holding out for the AXE16000, but I will not judge anyone picking the AX6000. As the AXE16000 is a good bit more expensive, and it's an unknown router at the moment. Until people are able to use it, and do some testing, there's a lot of questions on if it's worth the price. Lastly I don't think it's fair to judge a brand new router for a good 6 months, or so, in regards to the software being a bit buggy. So if that kind of stuff isn't something you like. The AX6000 is without question the better option right now. Buying the AXE16000 at launch, consider yourself test dummy, things might not work the best for a little while.

any idea when the axe16000 will be available for purchase? im thinking about my next ai mesh router and it looks promising.

The answer is (always), 'soonish'. :)

But it will depend on your location and number of units available locally/online, vs. other frenzied buyers chomping at the bit too, world-wide.

any idea when the axe16000 will be available for purchase? im thinking about my next ai mesh router and it looks promising.
Word is 2nd week of May, Asus online store will have a limited stock of them. Then Newegg/Amazon, should also have a limited stock. This could all change. But as of right now, depending on how serious you're on getting it ASAP, or not. Start keeping a close eye online this coming week.

I'll be keeping an eye out as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!