What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 VS ASUS RT-AX86U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

agentsmith1

Occasional Visitor
Hi there

Tired of getting slow speeds through my ASUS AC-86U. So thinking of going maybe one of these two routers which can get roughly same price.

Any thoughts on best Avenue to take? I get 270meg down at router but at my main PC lately I’m finding speed fluctuating and can get as high as 270 to as low as 6meg down.

I am running about 30 devices with smart Shelly devices IOT and about to introduce sensors too.

Run Sonos also.

Any ideas on a quick fix and what modem to chose to go wifi 6 ? I’m tipping wifi 6e not really worth it yet? Not sure when wifi 7 will be here?

Rely on wireless heavily like most I guess.

Thx

I get 270meg down at router but at my main PC lately I’m finding speed fluctuating and can get as high as 270 to as low as 6meg down.

Good working RT-AC86U has no issues with Gigabit wired and about 500Mbps wireless. Perhaps your router wants to retire?

Both are popular models around. Some folks will pick RT-AX86U Pro for compact size, some GT-AX6000 for 2x 2.5GbE ports.

Perhaps a proper reset may give your network a new lease on life and performance you need. What ISP speeds do you have?

If you can wait, WiFi 7 is effectively here. I would wait for the Gen 2 models with some time under their belts before I buy anything though.

Regardless of the ISP speeds you have today, if you want to buy a new router the 'pro' isn't a choice when you want the most hardware-balanced unit possible. The GT-AX6000 is not only superior but has also proven itself too with both stock and RMerlin firmware.

running aussie broadband paying for 250 down but get 270 to the modem bu thinking of switching to leaptel

500Mbps/50Mbps​

Typical Evening Speed:​

500Mbps^​

$129.00​

$109.00​

$20 discount for 12 months, then $129 ongoing

Perhaps a proper reset may give your network a new lease on life and performance you need. What ISP speeds do you have?

If you can wait, WiFi 7 is effectively here. I would wait for the Gen 2 models with some time under their belts before I buy anything though.

Regardless of the ISP speeds you have today, if you want to buy a new router the 'pro' isn't a choice when you want the most hardware-balanced unit possible. The GT-AX6000 is not only superior but has also proven itself too with both stock and RMerlin firmware.

curious on the thoughts why it is superior?? I can get either around same price but I want to move to wifi 6 at least for now... I could keep the unit for a mesh set up or onsell when wifi 7 get more saturated I guess.

I wouldn't mix different class routers if you want a stable and reliable network.

As already stated; the GT-AX6000 is the best bang for the buck model (on sale) with the most balanced (hardware) offering, and proven over time with any firmware you care to use today.

The 'pro', simply isn't what it states. Not with that crippled/lopsided single 2.5GbE Port.

I don't buy for looks or specs. The GT-AX6000 is superior, from experience using it (and in many environments too).

For me it was a no-brainer, in April 2022 I bought my "open box" GT-AX6000 (used for a photo shoot - the power brick was still in it's sealed bag), with staff discounts and coupons from work for £43.35. I'd intended to get an RT-AX86u but it would have cost me considerably more! My RP-AX58 cost me more than the router did!

Hi all

This has come up on a sale for 399. Is it still holding true as best banks for buck router ??

Or is there anything coming worth waiting for that is better etc ??

Thx a bunch

sorry meant th GT-AX6000

Last edited:
Depends on which model you mean. ;)

GT-AX6000 is greater than RT-AX86U 'pro'.

Once you have the GT-AX6000 on hand, you can comfortably wait for WiFi 7 Gen 2 models to be introduced, become available, and be proven, before considering them (that is the logical next upgrade for me too).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!