What's new

Router = AC86U AiMesh Node = AC68U (wfd_unregisterdevice) Instability Fix

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

salieri

Occasional Visitor
I searched all over the place for this issue, and never saw a clear cut thread - to the point I spent significant time of trial and error to figure this out. I hope this will help someone out...

Setup:

AC86U = Main Router
AC68U = AiMesh Node
Backhaul = Wireless
Smart Connect = Disabled
SSID's = Same​

Issue:

I saw several messages in my router's log that my AiMesh node was frequently disconnecting and my router was re-registering itself.

AiMesh Node was reporting this (forgot to save the entire log portion of this):

Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving

Around the same time my Router was reporting this:

Apr 27 09:37:18 kernel: wfd_unregisterdevice Successfully unregistered ifidx 2 wfd_idx 0
Apr 27 09:37:19 kernel: wfd_unregisterdevice Successfully unregistered ifidx 1 wfd_idx 1
Apr 27 09:37:23 kernel: wfd_registerdevice Successfully registered dev wds1.0.1 ifidx 1 wfd_idx 1
Apr 27 09:37:23 kernel: Register interface [wds1.0.1] MAC: d4:5d:64:0c:XX:XX
Apr 27 09:37:26 kernel: wfd_registerdevice Successfully registered dev wds0.0.1 ifidx 2 wfd_idx 0
Apr 27 09:37:26 kernel: Register interface [wds0.0.1] MAC: d4:5d:64:0c:XX:XX
Apr 27 09:37:27 kernel: wfd_unregisterdevice Successfully unregistered ifidx 1 wfd_idx 1
Apr 27 09:37:28 kernel: wfd_registerdevice Successfully registered dev wds1.0.1 ifidx 1 wfd_idx 1
Apr 27 09:37:28 kernel: Register interface [wds1.0.1] MAC: d4:5d:64:0c:XX:XX

As a result, this was causing all kinds of grief and instability with my network. Whenever the above message happened, my AiMesh node went completely offline and eventually restarted itself. This happened several times a day.

Troubleshooting:

1) Used @L&LD 's guide to completely reset both my devices: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-4#post-495710

2) Used @OzarkEdge AiMesh Notes: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...-supported-products.44375/page-14#post-381537

3) I was on firmware 384.17

4) Returned the AC86U device and received another one thinking it was defective. Same problems after getting a replacement.

5) Tested both wireless bands on my AC68U for a few days independently (as a Media Bridge) and they were rock solid. I had thought that perhaps my AC68U was on its way out since I purchased it several years ago.

6) Tried upgrading to Asus stock version firmware published in May (86U: 384.81858; 68U: 385.20490). Still unstable despite notes of improved connection stability.

Result In the End / Conclusion:

1) I ended up downgrading to Merlin Firmware 384.13 (both routers) and I have not seen any issues for the past few days. I read another thread where someone was having a similar issue and used this as a last ditch effort before returning the router: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/deauthenticated-because-sending-station-is-leaving-ac68u.62451/ (thank you @Draken)

2) Kind of surprising and disappointing after serious trial and error. Hope this helps someone and Asus eventually gets this fixed. I surely cannot be an edge case of this happening to (or maybe I am). I also wonder if this happens for people who just have this particular configuration (1 AC86U Router; 1 AC68U AiMesh Node).

Last edited:
First, use the AC86U as the main router and the AC68U as the mesh node.
Factory reset both, then flash back to current Asus firmware. Set up the AC86U with SmartConnect enabled but set fixed channels and fixed 20 MHZ bandwidth for the 2.4 GHZ. Do not change any other WIFI settings! When the AC86U is stable power up the AC68U and set up AiMesh.
The 384.81858 Asus firmware for the AC86U is a winner!

Factory reset both, then flash back to current Asus firmware. Set up the AC86U with SmartConnect enabled but set fixed channels and fixed 20 MHZ bandwidth for the 2.4 GHZ. Do not change any other WIFI settings! When the AC86U is stable power up the AC68U and set up AiMesh.

Does SmartConnect work well in this configuration? I thought the AC68U did not support SC.

Does SmartConnect work well in this configuration? I thought the AC68U did not support SC.
It doesn't so I wouldn't mix different hardware and feature set capabilities. I've tried with my extra AC68U a few times with Merlin releases _15, _16 and _17 with poor results.
Also, you mention 384.81858 which is newer than any Merlin release so you have very different codebases as well, so that's three strikes against a trouble-free setup.

It's been a while since I've anticipated a new Merlin release as much as the next one. Fixed Channels with Smart Connect. I am in the minority of users who like (and have good results) with Smart Connect. I only have a pair of AC86Us and in a very low density area, so the limitation of SC in the current codebase (can't manually select channels) is not too bad since it very rarely switches channels.

Once 384.81858 (or whatever GPL becomes available and Merlin chooses to go with) becomes a Merlin release, I will attempt to mix in my old AC68U as a 2nd node again. Not that the 68U will ever get SC, it just may result in a better client experience.

Yes, I wish I had spent the extra $100 and got another 86U but I got the 1900P for a good price and it was new.

@bbunge - Yikes, thank you for catching my typo (edited and fixed - I meant the 86U was my main router). The 86U was my main router. This is really good info to know, thank you, I'll give it a shot! How did you end up figuring it out with those specific settings? Kudos!

Also as @Smokey613 mentioned, I was told I couldn't use SmartConnect in this configuration either since I have an 86U (main router), and 68U (aimesh node). Please advise.

@bbunge - Yikes, thank you for catching my typo (edited and fixed - I meant the 86U was my main router). The 86U was my main router. This is really good info to know, thank you, I'll give it a shot! How did you end up figuring it out with those specific settings? Kudos!

Also as @Smokey613 mentioned, I was told I couldn't use SmartConnect in this configuration either since I have an 86U (main router), and 68U (aimesh node). Please advise.
I've been "playing" with Asus routers for just a couple of years. Have tried a lot of things with them. I have a couple of AC68U's at a not-for-profit that have been, for the most part, rock solid on Merlin. There have been a couple of issues which get fixed or figured out in time. With things going on I set my AC86U back to Asus firmware to keep the home network simple just in case something happened to me. So far I have been very pleased. I also have an AC66U_B1 that I have tested as a WIFI AiMesh node successfully. Do not remember if I had smart connect turned on when I did the test but as soon as the family gets done with watching media stream I'll fire it up and try it.

Edit: I powered up the AC66U_B1, factory reset via WPS button, let it boot up and added it as an AiMesh node. Found a firmware update for the AC66U_B1 and flashed it. Moved the node about 30 ft away and am now connected to ti with my laptop. Seems to be working very well.
As for SmartConnect, it is still active on the AC86U but there are very limited things you can change or check on a node.
I feel it is worth your while to at least try the Asus firmware.

Last edited:
I've been "playing" with Asus routers for just a couple of years. Have tried a lot of things with them. I have a couple of AC68U's at a not-for-profit that have been, for the most part, rock solid on Merlin. There have been a couple of issues which get fixed or figured out in time. With things going on I set my AC86U back to Asus firmware to keep the home network simple just in case something happened to me. So far I have been very pleased. I also have an AC66U_B1 that I have tested as a WIFI AiMesh node successfully. Do not remember if I had smart connect turned on when I did the test but as soon as the family gets done with watching media stream I'll fire it up and try it.

Edit: I powered up the AC66U_B1, factory reset via WPS button, let it boot up and added it as an AiMesh node. Found a firmware update for the AC66U_B1 and flashed it. Moved the node about 30 ft away and am now connected to ti with my laptop. Seems to be working very well.
As for SmartConnect, it is still active on the AC86U but there are very limited things you can change or check on a node.
I feel it is worth your while to at least try the Asus firmware.

Gotcha, I'll give it a shot at some point. After all the troubleshooting I've done to get this thing stable, I'm going to enjoy this for a little bit. Thanks for the response.

My AC86U replaced my AC68U a few years ago and until recently the 68U had been packed away and was on Merlin 380.69 from the last time I used it.

A few days ago I decided I wanted to try AiMesh to help with some coverage upstairs, so I updated the 86U from 384.12 to 384.17, no factory reset, and then I updated the 68U to 384.17, with a factory reset per Asus' AiMesh instructions. First time I've used AiMesh and it's been solid so far, even though they're connected over 5 GHz wireless.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!