What's new

router adds its ip to DNS list?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

princerock

New Around Here
I have a router A connected to ISP modem with IP set to 192.168.1. My nt-r16 is connected to router A via LAN port and IP set to 192.168.1.2. I have flashed 378.50 Merlin. I want nt-r16 to be the DHCP server so I turned off DHCP on router A. Here are the two problems I'm having:

1. Merlin shows Internet is disconnected. I guess that's because the WAN port of nt-r16 is not connecting anything even though I do have the internet connection via LAN port. I can live with that.

2. The bigger issue is that I found my DHCP clients have got two DNS severs assigned to them. One is 8.8.8.8 which I specified as the server, the second is 192.168.1.2. Even though I checked the option pass DNS request to upstream servers, it seems this configuration is still causing problem. My DNS request is not always resolved, and I think that's because nt-r16 is not really a DNS server. nslookup always shows correct result but ping sometimes fails due to unresolved domain name.

Is there a way to remove 192.168.1.2 from the DNS list?

The reason I'm having this configuration is because router A is placed in a network box connecting cables from every room. nt-r16 is hooked up in one of the rooms. I don't want A to be the DHCP server because its function is very limited. For example I cannot assign a fixed IP.

Thanks.