What's new

Router drops connection randomly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i88i

New Around Here
I'm currently using Dlink 655. I have 1 PC connected to the router via ethernet, and 3 tablets, 1 laptop, 2 PC, 3 phones connected to it via wireless at the most.

Everything was working good for the past couple of months but these past 2 weeks the router started restarting itself and dropping connection randomly (wireless and the ethernet).

The only way I can connect back to the net again is to restart the router by unhooking the power and powering it back up again.

Is it possible that I have too many devices connected to the router and it can't handle it?

I can't be sure but this might have happened after I got my 3rd tablet. I've also tried using a spare older router, a Dlink 628 and the same problem occurs. Any insight would be appreciated.

shouldn't be a problem with the number of devices, so long as it's not, say, 25 in range at once.

Try this: Log in to the router's admin. Turn off/disable WiFi for a while. See if the router screws up - say, a couple of hours. Then reenable and power on only the suspect tablet.

An unlikely problem might be the wall transformer for the D-Link. Notorious. Next time, IMO, don't buy that brand.

Next step would be to reset the D-link to factory defaults, reestablish your WiFi settings (encryption, SSID, etc). See if it screws up again.

A proper WiFi router should run indefinitely without need to reset/reboot. Mine do: one has run a year without reboot.

Thanks for the reply. I reset my router settings and set everything up again. Everything was going good for a day and then it started doing the same thing again. I don't think it's a tablet because the tablet is always connected and it just drops randomly so it's hard to diagnosed that. I may try to turn off the wifi but the problem is so intermittent that I don't know if it can be figured out unless I turn it off for a few days which I can't do. Could my routers just be dying?

Which model do you have?

DIR655
Hardware Model? A3 or higher
Firmware Version?

Also does the Router feel very warm after you experienced this issue?

When I had the DIR655 A3 I had the same issue your reporting. A3 was the last model you could do what I did below image.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1099/4465559/21344768/354191025.jpg

This worked back then. After a few years the WiFi in this model like most will degrade. Not much you can do about it. Newer WiFi Routers seem to not have this issue well some of them don't.

I have exactly the same WiFi & LAN, typical for HP Pavilion notebooks so I guess that´s what you have. When we add that I have exactly the same Belkin N router, I have to agree with what Ken told you hier earlier. My Belkin was also always dropping me off, until I disabled ip6 support.

The model is the A3. I haven't checked the heat on the router when it happens but since it's winter it has been very cold in my room so I don't think it could be heat but I can check the next time it happens.

need to troubleshoot (process of elimination) to decide if the router is at fault vs. the client PC/tablet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!