What's new

Router mode but WiFi as WAN possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

miniterror

Regular Contributor
So i think it isnt possible what im looking for but here goes nothing in the hope some one has the golden tip.
I have received access to a WiFi network wich i have to use for my own devices.
I am not able to get a cabled connection.
The WiFi doesnt fully cover my part in the building where im located so i need to repeat this signal into my part.
I could use repeater mode to get my own SSID but that would send my DHCP to the main router, i would like to have my router functions in between so the other users cant access my devices.
Is there a way to have router mode and use a WiFi network as WAN?

It's called WISP mode, but is not available on Asus routers. Travel routers can do WISP, like this one as an example. Do you really need 2 routers in AiMesh in your place? The other option is to convert your AX58U into wireless bridge (called Media Bridge in Asuswrt), connect it's LAN port to AX86U WAN port. Or use another available unused router as wireless bridge. The owner of this Wi-Fi network can see your traffic, if you don't encrypt it (VPN).

It's called WISP mode, but is not available on Asus routers. Travel routers can do WISP, like this one as an example. Do you really need 2 routers in AiMesh in your place? The other option is to convert your AX58U into wireless bridge (called Media Bridge in Asuswrt), connect it's LAN port to AX86U WAN port. Or use another available unused router as wireless bridge. The owner of this Wi-Fi network can see your traffic, if you don't encrypt it (VPN).
This is on a different location then my main house where the AX86U and AX58U are located.
I am looking to buy something that could do this and hoped for a Asus to keep everything in the same brand.
Thanks for the security suggestion, i would indeed start a site to site VPN to the AX86U and route all traffic to there and from there try to go on the internet.
Will have a look at WISP routers and see if i can find something nice that is available in Europe(preferrably my own country) in the short term.

Unfortunately, I found wireless bridge (Media Bridge) unstable in Asuswrt (and Asusswrt-Merlin too) on some router models. The cheaper option AC66U_B1 router has this issue even on latest stock Asuswrt. Same applies for AC68U model. It works for hours/days and then cuts the connection for no reason. Asus makes good routers, but some firmware features are hit and miss. If this Wi-Fi connection offers speeds up to 100Mbps and Gigabit router is not needed, other cheaper options are available. I use one $30 Linksys E5400 (AC1200 class, dual-band) for my VoIP, it has good working wireless bridge mode.