What's new

RP-AX58 VOIP Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sluzza

Occasional Visitor
I have the RP-AX58 repeater (f/w 3.0.0.4.388.23437) and am trying to use it with a Grandstream HT801 ATA connected to the RP's Ethernet port. Outgoing calls work fine but incoming calls fail (line busy).

The ATA has been working fine connected to an RT-AX56U (retired due to being EOL :() configured in Bridge Mode. Likewise, if I connect the ATA directly to the main router (RT-AX86U Pro, f/w as signature) it works fine.

My guess is that a firewall rule somewhere is dropping whatever packet(s) signal an incoming call but I don't know where to look. The ATA works fine with a direct connection so the router's firewall must be allowing those packets through okay. SIP Passthrough is enabled on the WAN - NAT Passthrough page which is the only SIP-related setting I can see.

In terms of configuring the RP, I add it as an AiMesh node wirelessly (i.e. without an Ethernet connection to the router) and set it to prefer 5GHz wifi for backhaul.

The quirky thing is that when I first add the RP as a node (close to the router and nowhere near where I need it), if I run a cable between the RP and the ATA then both incoming and outgoing calls work. However, when I unplug the repeater and put it where I need it, only outgoing calls work from then on.

It occurred to me that I could set the router's firewall to log all packet types and try calling the ATA. The logs should include the incoming call packet(s) but I don't know where to add rules to allow them, assuming I identify them correctly!

Can anyone offer any help or guidance as to where to look, please?

I see there have been a few views so here's where I am. I tried setting the firewall's Logged packets type to Both but it seems to behave the same as Dropped and the log doesn't include any accepted messages. The Accepted drop-down option doesn't log anything at all. I have tried this using the 9.0.0.6.102_4856-g8178ee0 f/w and the Merlin beta (3004.388.4_beta1 but they behave the same.

My VOIP provider has some recommended iptables
🤮
settings but they involve setting source address IP ranges. This does't seem to be possible in the Inbound Firewall Rules adder, only single IP addresses so I tried setting some rules but they made no difference (e.g. iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -m udp -p udp -s 81.187.30.110/31 --dport 5000:5099 -j DNAT --to-destination <IP addr of ATA>). I know to do 'service restart_firewall' but it didn't help. I don't even know if it's the right thing to do as I can't see Accepted packet(s) that work for the direct connection.

BTW I don't know why the vomit emoji came out so large but it's entirely appropriate.

I see there have been a few views so here's where I am. I tried setting the firewall's Logged packets type to Both but it seems to behave the same as Dropped and the log doesn't include any accepted messages. The Accepted drop-down option doesn't log anything at all. I have tried this using the 9.0.0.6.102_4856-g8178ee0 f/w and the Merlin beta (3004.388.4_beta1 but they behave the same.

My VOIP provider has some recommended iptables
🤮
settings but they involve setting source address IP ranges. This does't seem to be possible in the Inbound Firewall Rules adder, only single IP addresses so I tried setting some rules but they made no difference (e.g. iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -m udp -p udp -s 81.187.30.110/31 --dport 5000:5099 -j DNAT --to-destination <IP addr of ATA>). I know to do 'service restart_firewall' but it didn't help. I don't even know if it's the right thing to do as I can't see Accepted packet(s) that work for the direct connection.

BTW I don't know why the vomit emoji came out so large but it's entirely appropriate.

I don't think repeater or AP mode even use IPtables or firewall unless there is something special on that particular one. Does it give you an option as to what mode to run it in?

I have the RP-AX58 repeater (f/w 3.0.0.4.388.23437) and am trying to use it with a Grandstream HT801 ATA connected to the RP's Ethernet port. Outgoing calls work fine but incoming calls fail (line busy).

The ATA has been working fine connected to an RT-AX56U (retired due to being EOL :() configured in Bridge Mode. Likewise, if I connect the ATA directly to the main router (RT-AX86U Pro, f/w as signature) it works fine.

My guess is that a firewall rule somewhere is dropping whatever packet(s) signal an incoming call but I don't know where to look. The ATA works fine with a direct connection so the router's firewall must be allowing those packets through okay. SIP Passthrough is enabled on the WAN - NAT Passthrough page which is the only SIP-related setting I can see.

In terms of configuring the RP, I add it as an AiMesh node wirelessly (i.e. without an Ethernet connection to the router) and set it to prefer 5GHz wifi for backhaul.

The quirky thing is that when I first add the RP as a node (close to the router and nowhere near where I need it), if I run a cable between the RP and the ATA then both incoming and outgoing calls work. However, when I unplug the repeater and put it where I need it, only outgoing calls work from then on.

It occurred to me that I could set the router's firewall to log all packet types and try calling the ATA. The logs should include the incoming call packet(s) but I don't know where to add rules to allow them, assuming I identify them correctly!

Can anyone offer any help or guidance as to where to look, please?

I keep SIP Passthrough disabled... it use to cause one-way audio using VoIP.ms with an OBi202 ATA on previous ASUS routers... now I disable it as standard.

OE

I don't think repeater or AP mode even use IPtables or firewall unless there is something special on that particular one. Does it give you an option as to what mode to run it in?
Thanks for that, you've saved me wasting a lot of time with iptables. I don't think I'll bother raising it with Asus either: there's some wierd interoperatibility problem that I can't see them wanting to pursue.

There's plenty of stuff out there on how to setup a Pi4 to do what I need so I think I'll do that. I'm still miffied about the RT-AX56U going EOL so I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

I keep SIP Passthrough disabled... it use to cause one-way audio using VoIP.ms with an OBi202 ATA on previous ASUS routers... now I disable it as standard.

OE
I hadn't had cause to touch that setting as calls were working fine until I swapped the router-as-bridge for the repeater. I'm sick of having to mess with the router and am going to put up with a cable strung through the house until I get the RPi bridge working.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!