What's new

RT-87U How to Change WAN Connection Speed to 1000 Full Duplex

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kelvin1512

New Around Here
Hello there,

I am using the RT-87U. I can ssh to the device. However I don't know the commands to change the WAN port to 1000 FULL DUPLEX. Can anybody help me please?

It is currently at only 100 FULL DUPLEX. I am using Merlin 384.13_10 if it matters.

May I know the ssh commands to change the WAN to Gigabit please?

Thank you.

The router is already set to auto-negotiate 1000 FD. If it's not doing so that would indicate a problem (other device not capable, cable fault, etc.)

You can try forcing it with robocfg but if auto-negotiation has failed that's unlikely to work.

Have you read this other thread here?

Last edited:
As said there is not much you can do at the router end, the WAN port and LAN ports do automatically support 1 Gbps.
Failing auto negotiate can well be caused by the other end (your modem or a switch?) or a bad network cable, bad RJ45 plugs at the cable, a too long cable, disturbance picked up by the cable.
  • Try a not too long, say 3 meter / 10 feet CAT6 cable.
  • Test the router port and the modem port with other devices.
  • Test the cable by using 2 other devices.

I'm digging waaaayyyy into my memory banks and this could be for a totally different issue but I thought I remember reading about an issue where putting a switch between two devices did something to get the connection to go from 100 to 1000. Anyone else remember this?

I'm digging waaaayyyy into my memory banks and this could be for a totally different issue but I thought I remember reading about an issue where putting a switch between two devices did something to get the connection to go from 100 to 1000. Anyone else remember this?

It's a workaround when two endpoints don't play nice and negotiate the best spec connection.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!