What's new

RT-AC1750_B1 Constantly Disconnecting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eagle470

Occasional Visitor
I have one of these devices and its constantly disconnecting from the network, sometimes it's totally unresponsive and I have to reboot it (like just now). Supposedly this is a supported device, but I'm wondering now.

I have no problem supplying logs, but I'm not sure if the current logs would be useful. I can force them to dump to a USB and will configure that this morning.

EDIT: I left out a crucial detail. I'm using the device as a media bridge for my laptop and IP phone in my home office.

Last edited:
I have one of these devices and its constantly disconnecting from the network, sometimes it's totally unresponsive and I have to reboot it (like just now). Supposedly this is a supported device, but I'm wondering now. I have no problem supplying logs, but I'm not sure if the current logs would be useful. I can force them to dump to a USB and will configure that this morning.
  • "...constantly disconnecting from network..."
    • Are you referring to your ASUS disconnecting from ISP?
      • If so, describe the connection and the particulars on the ISP equipment
      • If not, are you referring to devices on the Ethernet of the ASUS or the WiFi? More details please.
  • "...sometimes it's totally unresponsive..."
    • Assuming you are referring to the ASUS, are you saying that you cannot even login to router?
  • Is this a new install or new issue on an existing installation?

• "...constantly disconnecting from network..."
    • Are you referring to your ASUS disconnecting from ISP?

No, this device is a media bridge. See my edit above. Also, I've had this device for a while and have had this issue for a while. It disappeared in the last rev I was on (384.7_2 I think) and then came back worse than before on this revision (384.8_2.)

No, this device is a media bridge. See my edit above. Also, I've had this device for a while and have had this issue for a while. It disappeared in the last rev I was on (384.7_2 I think) and then came back worse than before on this revision (384.8_2.)
Okay, you are using the RT-AC1750_B1 as a media bridge and the "disconnect" issue began with one firmware release and got worse with the latest. Additionally, since the issue began there have been no changes to your laptop and iPhone as well as anything else in the network. Questions:
  • Are your laptop and iPhone disconnecting from the RT-AC1750_B1?
  • Is the RT-AC1750_B1 disconnecting from your ISP?
  • Are you laptop and iPhone just disconnecting the media connection?
  • What is the media source and what type of media is it?
  • Is the disconnection across WiFi?
    • If it is WiFi, have you used a WiFi monitoring on your laptop (I use WiFi Explorer on my Mac) to determine if other WiFi sources are using the same channel as your RT-AC1750_B1?
  • Are these the only two devices connected to the RT-AC1750_B1?

Okay, you are using the RT-AC1750_B1 as a media bridge and the "disconnect" issue began with one firmware release and got worse with the latest. Additionally, since the issue began there have been no changes to your laptop and iPhone as well as anything else in the network.
Questions And Answers:
  • Are your laptop and iPhone disconnecting from the RT-AC1750_B1? No, they generally maintain connectivity to the MB. They lose connection to the internal network.
  • Is the RT-AC1750_B1 disconnecting from your ISP? No, that device does not connect to the ISP, I will follow up with a topology of my network shortly.
  • Are you laptop and PolyCom just disconnecting the media connection? they are disconnecting from the network.
  • What is the media source and what type of media is it? N/A
  • Is the disconnection across WiFi? YES
    • If it is WiFi, have you used a WiFi monitoring on your laptop (I use WiFi Explorer on my Mac) to determine if other WiFi sources are using the same channel as your RT-AC1750_B1? My laptop can still connect to the wi-fi, as can my samsung galaxy and a plethora of other devices.
  • Are these the only two devices connected to the RT-AC1750_B1? Yes, currently.

Here is the Promised network diagram.

Attachments

• 2018-12-20 14_00_59-Drawing1 - Visio Professional.png
    2018-12-20 14_00_59-Drawing1 - Visio Professional.png
    164.2 KB · Views: 378
2018-12-207.jpg

So the issue is that the devices directly attached to the AC1750 lose contact with the rest of the network while no other device connected to the WiFi of ? ? ? lose contact.

Since you stated that the AC1750 is "totally unresponsive" you are unable to login to the router to determine further detail from it.
  • What of the ? ? ? router, are you able to login and determine anything?
  • Do you have the AC1750 in AP mode as well?
  • Does the AC170 have a static IP address?
  • You state that other WiFi devices continue to function on the network. Are those devices in close proximity to the AC1750?

Attachments

• 2018-12-207.jpg
    2018-12-207.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 339
  • What of the AC1900P router, are you able to login and determine anything?
If I connect to the WiFi directly with my laptop I can login to the AC1900P and the AC3100. It's just the AC1750 that is unresponsive.
  • Do you have the AC1750 in AP mode as well?
No, I'ts set as a Media Bridge. I'm using it to provide a faster connection for my laptop to the internal network and for downloads, as well as to provide a data connection to my IP phone for work.
  • Does the AC1750 have a static IP address?
Yes it has a static IP address, all my network devices are statically assigned.
  • You state that other WiFi devices continue to function on the network. Are those devices in close proximity to the AC1750?
Some yes, some no, my cell phone, amazon tablet, wifes phone, a different laptop (that never leaves the same room that the AC1750 Media Bridge is in) works fine,

I have evidence that this is is probably related to a bug in the merlin code. I bought a coworker an asus router to act as a media bridge, loaded it up with merlin and set it to them. They called and said it looked like it was working, yet wouldn't respond.

All lights were on, everything looked right, reboot it twice and it came back.

I loaded it back to Asus stock firmware and haven't had a call back on it. That device is an RT-AC68P

This isn't something I was doing, there was a version of code that worked not long ago, I'm going to flash back to that and I'll post what code version it is.

Media bridge mode is known to be a problem since long time, try repeater mode instead.

Or try Johns fork in bridge mode, use RT-AC68U firmware (its the same for your 66U_B1).

Media bridge mode is known to be a problem since long time, try repeater mode instead.

Or try Johns fork in bridge mode, use RT-AC68U firmware (its the same for your 66U_B1).

Well crap, I wish that tidbit was easier to find.

Thanks