What's new

RT-AC5300 + Lyra MAP-AC2200 AI Mesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JasonUK

Occasional Visitor
Went to the in-laws (Home 1) to setup a new network today to replace their shirtty Sky hub and it's made a good difference but I need to go back tomorrow and fix a few black spots in the most economical method possible. I also need to do something for my parents house (Home 2).

See below for a breakdown of my current setups - note that Home 3 is my own home.

Home 1.
ISP: Sky 50mbps
Router: RT-AC5300
Modem: Sky Hub 2.0 (Modem-Mode)

Home 2.
ISP: Virgin Media 150mbps fibre
Router: Virgin Hub 3.0
Modem: Virgin Hub 3.0

Home 3.
ISP: Virgin Media 150mbps
Router: GT-AC5300 + RT-AC5300 Meshed
Modem: Virgin Hub 3.0 (Modem Mode)

I'm thinking to give my RT-AC5300 (home 3) to my parents (home 1) which would be sufficient for them. Then purchase the Lyra AC2200 (x3) kit. Place 1 Lyra in Home 3, and the other two in Home 1 to fix the black spots at either end of the home.

See below my planned setup:

Home 1.
ISP: Sky 50mbps
Router: RT-AC5300 + Lyra AC2200 Meshed + Lyra AC2200 Meshed
Modem: Sky Hub 2.0 (Modem-Mode)

Home 2.
ISP: Virgin Media 150mbps fibre
Router: RT-AC5300

Home 3.
ISP: Virgin Media 150mbps
Router: GT-AC5300 + Lyra AC2200 Meshed

I've read about some people experiencing issues with guest network not working over Lyra and connections being unstable. I won't really need the guest network but do need a solid connection. Can anyone confirm if the issues have been resolved via a FW update?

Also - can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative route to go? We don't want wires. Home 1 has the AC5300 in the centre of the home where we all gather but, the black spots are at opposite corners.. hence I will need two extra units to cover it.