What's new

[RT-AC56U USB] Permissions set to 0777 after reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kcobain1992

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I have an USB stick (formatted as ext2) connected to the wireless router, on which I just installed optware. Can anybody please explain to me why do all permissions reset to 0777 after rebooting the router?

Also, two other related questions:
1. Apart from the RT-N66U, is there any other Asus router that has the internal SD card slot? What is the purpose for this secret feature, why isn't it publically accessible?
2. Is there any definitive answer whether Asus routers support USB hubs plugged into their ports?

My problem is that I have a printer, an USB stick with Linux-related stuff and another 2TB hard drive with stuff I'd like to share over FTP in my network. Of course, 3 devices won't fit into 2 slots, so ideally what I'm seeking is moving the /opt contents (previously on the USB stick) either on an internal SD card (if possible), or on the 2TB hard drive instead, but at the moment I'm having serious problems with permissions.

Also, two other related questions:
1. Apart from the RT-N66U, is there any other Asus router that has the internal SD card slot? What is the purpose for this secret feature, why isn't it publically accessible?

Only the RT-N66U, and the newest revision doesn't have it. It was most likely a feature they planned to have originally, and decided in the end not to officially include it. No idea what the actual plan was, maybe they originally considered selling a different SKU with an sd card pre-installed.

2. Is there any definitive answer whether Asus routers support USB hubs plugged into their ports?

Powered USB 2.0 HUBs have been officially supported since firmwares 3.0.0.4.374.xxx (forgot the precise revision, but it was added in the last year).

Ok, this issue is driving me crazy, no idea what's wrong.
So my setup is:
- "SanDisk Cruzer Switch" 8GB flash drive, tried formatting it as both ext3 and ext2
- RT-AC56U, firmware 376.49_5. Tried plugging it in both USB2 and USB3 port.
- I also have a script in /jffs/configs/fstab that looks like this:
Code:
UUID=C09AD3919AD38278	/mnt/Muzica	ntfs-3g	defaults	0	0
UUID=74b4f951-c2a8-44d2-9cab-ef9726316e76	/mnt/RT-AC56U	ext3	defaults	0	0
UUID=0ACA7ADDCA7AC48B	/mnt/Seagate_Expansion_Drive	ntfs-3g	defaults	0	0
The flash drive I'm talking about being the one in the middle.
Ok, so the issue I'm facing is:
With the flash drive freshly formatted, I install Download Master via the web UI, then I do:
Code:
cd /mnt/RT-AC56U/asusware.arm
touch file
chmod 0400 file
Now, after I unmount, eject and reinsert the USB stick, all permissions in all files in asusware.arm are set to 0777 for some reason, including the file I created earlier.
This is quite inconvenient. I will try reverting to the older firmware, that apparently worked, and see if that's the culprit.

Wow, finally solved it.
Basically, when I was installing optware through downloadmaster, the installer was executing some scripts in /usr/sbin/app_* that were calling some nasty chmod 0777 $PATH_TO_MY_OPT. Had to change those scripts and eliminate all chmod calls.
To me, it seems a really retarded thing to do (chmod 0777), but am I missing something?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!