What's new

RT-ac66u any point upgrading?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mgrobins

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I'm considering a new router for improved wifi throughput and after some advice as I do not know if my current notebook will benefit or if simple location changes may yield the gains I want.

Also, having read the intel specs for wifi card and knowing the AC66u I'm still not certain if my intel wifi saturates the routers 5GHz band which is the area of interest for me. Maybe changing out the wifi card in my notebook will be the best solution.

Hardware:
Asus RT-AC66u
Notebook – HP elitebook X360 G2 with Intel dual band AC 8265 card.

2 story townhouse – internal walls gyprock veneer, cupboard doors glass mirror (metal backing?) and floor is hardwood with underlying timber slat ceiling for the lower floor.

Router located in a re-purposed linen cupboard; ventilation is ok, metal shelving above router may cause interference. Antennas angled to ensure the fat donut is best oriented toward key areas of use on both levels.

Laptop location:
1. bedroom – same level as router and has cupboard walls in the way.
2. downstairs at kitchen table – oblique angle from router location and under the bedroom. Hardwood timber floors and ceiling in between (and cupboard door/frame of network closet).

I have used insider to examine the signal strengths in locations and to choose channels with the least interference.

I'm contemplating a couple of options to improve my 5GHz performance:
A. Is the router or the laptop wifi going to be the limiting factor on throughput (either range issues or
B. I can't relocate the router so perhaps relocating the antennas would be useful.

Ideas:
1. new router and place it where current one is – maybe RT 86U, RT88u or Netgear D7800 (modem/router... no sale of R7800 router only in Au). These seem the pick of the dual band models. If potential throughput is the limiting factor not location then this may be useful.

2. pigtails and mount existing antennas in more optimal location outside the cupboard (using ~1m LMR 195 cable as it's flexible enough and has good characteristics.

3. replace the AC 8265 in notebook with the newer AC 9260 if it's compatible.

4. perhaps all options if required..... I need some practical advice on what will give what benefit.

I use 2.4 band for tablet, and other minor gear - currently no issues with this. 5GHz is the notebook only and I'm looking for the best connectivity and throughput.

Just after some product or functional advice from the experienced folks here.

Well I managed to get an Rt-AC86u for $349. It doesn't do 160MHz like the D7800 Netgear ($329 for me) but I am more familiar with the Asus firmware/merlin and it has solid reviews for achieving high throughput in moderately good locations. I don't think I made a poor choice :).

I'm keen to see how the new features are like AI protection etc as I think Trend Micro is a cloud solution (maybe they all are but I think the SYnology AC2600 is local).

Feedback time for those who are interested :).

Purchasing the RT-AC86u was a huge improvement for me over the AC66u.

Shifting from RT-AC66u to RT-AC86u has doubled my wifi throughput – up and down. I tested locations before and after switching out the router. I didn't need extra range – just higher throughput. Router location and antenna positioning were the same.

I'm still using stock firmware as I'm testing the WTFast account – I have a notoriously bad run across to Sg and HK as the cable is constantly nibbled by sharks I guess :). In the past I have used it and it's improved my ping by 60-80ms during periods of cable damage or when routing has been borked by Telstra.

If I use Merlin's F/w I lose WTFast correct?

I generally use my router as a forced master browser which the Asus fw doesn't offer so I'll see how it goes in that regard.
Any other standout benefits of the merlin software for general home router use?

Very glad to hear that the router upgrade was not a waste of money!

If I use Merlin's F/w I lose WTFast correct?

WTFast is supported, although untested. I never could complete the new account creation/validation, so I gave up on them.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!