What's new

RT AC66u B1 Failed Firmware Update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Headpecked

New Around Here
Evening,

I encountered a failed firmware flash on my RT AC66U_B1 yesterday & have since failed to be able to restore using the restoration tool despite following the instructions.
When I turn the router on now, all I get is a sable blue power light & a blue light on the LAN1 port I'm connected to via laptop. No wireless light whatsoever & can't connect to the router GUI settings page.

Running ipconfig I discovered that the default gateway is missing.

Any advice would be most welcome as I'm not currently in the position to be buying a new router.

Try using the hard reset procedure here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039077

Then try and get the router into Rescue mode using steps 3-1 to 3-3 here: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1000814/
Hi Colin, thanks for the reply! Tried the above last night & I can now access the router settings again after using the restoration tool to load Asus fw vers 3.0.0.4.386_51255-g486ded6. It seems I was missing the hard reset step!! Although I had issues loading some of the bigger fw files. Hence the reason I applied the version stated after also reading a thread on here that a user had success by loading a file that was smaller in size.

However, I am now experiencing the internet light turning red once the wireless network lights turn blue. The router settings page also says the internet is disconnected as shown. Despite this I am still able to connect to the internet & it seems it works, which is a little confusing.
I have also tried to upgrade to Merlin FW manually via the router settings page but upon the router rebooting, am left with the Asus FW still as shown.

I have also noticed I am able to update the Asus fw version via the router settings manually but unable to load any Merlin fw....

Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    112.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    18.9 KB · Views: 25
What Merlin version were you trying to load?

Unless you need something in Merlin's firmware I would suggest you stick with the Asus firmware for now if it's working.

You can get a false "Disconnected" message in the GUI if you're having DNS issues. That could be down to your ISP rather than your router.

What Merlin version were you trying to load?

Unless you need something in Merlin's firmware I would suggest you stick with the Asus firmware for now if it's working.

You can get a false "Disconnected" message in the GUI if you're having DNS issues. That could be down to your ISP rather than your router.
All sorted now. It appears the ASUS FW now has a check to make sure it's ASUS FW that you're trying to upgrade to & won't allow Merlin FW to be flashed.

Fixed by using the Merlin FW test build which apparently bypasses the above mentioned check.

Thankfully I can run it a little longer before the need to upgrade! Any recommendations for when the time comes?

There is a check in the firmware, but it's to stop you going back to old versions beyond a certain point. It applies to stock firmware and Merlin's. That's why I asked you which version you were trying to install. Asus does allow you to install Merlin firmware provided it is recent enough (bugs in the update procedure notwithstanding).

The most recent stable Merlin release is 386.11 so that's the one I would use.

I arrived at this board today as I had pretty much the same issue as OP. My router got bricked after i tried to upgrade firmware. I was not able to open the 192.168 page after the failed upgrade and no matter how many resets and reuploading of firmware I completed, the page was not opening up.
However hard reset procedure here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039077 worked like a charm. Hope it works for you as well

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!