What's new

RT-AC67U AC1900 has weak WiFi signal ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

comfac

New Around Here
Hi all,
Im a newbie here and really need your help. I've just bought RT-AC67u AC1900 ( up to 600Mbps on 2.4GHz & 13o0Mbps on 5GHz in theory), I know it's not like that but it's really weak, I only get about 20-100Mbps on 2.4GHz and 300-400Mbps on 5Ghz (the distance is about 3m), it isn't stable, I use Wi-Fi Sweetspots app to measure it, the first & second pics are RT-AC67U 2.4GHz & 5GHz and the third & last pics are RT-AC66U 2.4GHz & 5GHz.
So the problem is caused by the inefficient app or the router ? What is your opinions ?
Thanks and regards.

Attachments

• asus_rt_ac67u2.4.jpeg
    asus_rt_ac67u2.4.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 372
  • asus_rt_ac67u5.jpeg
    asus_rt_ac67u5.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 372
  • asus_rt_ac66u2.4.jpg
    asus_rt_ac66u2.4.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 365
  • asus_rt_ac66u5.jpg
    asus_rt_ac66u5.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 305
Hi all,
Im a newbie here and really need your help. I've just bought RT-AC67u AC1900 ( up to 600Mbps on 2.4GHz & 13o0Mbps on 5GHz in theory), I know it's not like that but it's really weak, I only get about 20-100Mbps on 2.4GHz and 300-400Mbps on 5Ghz (the distance is about 3m), it isn't stable, I use Wi-Fi Sweetspots app to measure it, the first & second pics are RT-AC67U 2.4GHz & 5GHz and the third & last pics are RT-AC66U 2.4GHz & 5GHz.
So the problem is caused by the inefficient app or the router ? What is your opinions ?
Thanks and regards.

It is not clear what your app is measuring and how.

Your app measurement could be affected anywhere along the traffic path from Internet, to ISP, to last mile cabling, to router configuration, to WiFi interference/defect, to app device hardware/antenna(s)/software, to app device WiFi connection link rate, ...

Conduct a speed test on a Gigabit Ethernet wired computer to know what's possible.

Determine your WiFi client's (ideally a wireless computer) WiFi connection link rate and protocol to know what's possible. Does it have one or two antennas for 1x or 2x base protocol link rate speed?

Then conduct the same speed test on your WiFi client (ideally a wireless computer) and compare and relate to the above knowns.

I use Speedtest.net in the US.

OE

Last edited:
It is not clear what your app is measuring and how.

Your app measurement could be affected anywhere along the traffic path from Internet, to ISP, to last mile cabling, to router configuration, to WiFi interference/defect, to app device hardware/antenna(s)/software, to app device WiFi connection link rate, ...

Conduct a speed test on a Gigabit Ethernet wired computer to know what's possible.

Determine your WiFi client's (ideally a wireless computer) WiFi connection link rate and protocol to know what's possible. Does it have one or two antennas for 1x or 2x base protocol link rate speed?

Then conduct the same speed test on your WiFi client (ideally a wireless computer) and compare and relate to the above knowns.

I use Speedtest.net in the US.

OE
hi Ozark,
I got you, but I mean I just want to measure the speed of the wireless network of my router, and as far as I know this app can do it, do you have a better way to measure it more accurately ? My internet speed is 50Mbps so I cannot use speedtest.net to measure.

Curious why you can't use speedtest.net to measure your 50Mbps ISP service with?

Curious why you can't use speedtest.net to measure your 50Mbps ISP service with?
Ah because the wireless network speed of this router is higher than 50Mbps so I cannot use speedtest.net to measure the maximum speed of the router, when I use speedtest.net to measure the maximum speed I get is 50Mbps

According to this post it appears to measure "speed" by sending UDP packets to the default gateway. That doesn't sound particularly reliable. Try switching it to "signal" mode and comparing the signal strengths instead.

Try to find a better test that measures actual throughput, like iperf. You can also use a WiFi Analyser app to compare the signal strengths and bandwidth as a frequency graph. Obviously if one router is operating at half the bandwidth the throughput will also be halved.

hi Ozark,
I got you, but I mean I just want to measure the speed of the wireless network of my router, and as far as I know this app can do it, do you have a better way to measure it more accurately ? My internet speed is 50Mbps so I cannot use speedtest.net to measure.

I see... I never get past 'don't care as long as I get ISP speeds' on that one. :)

OE

Use IPerf 3 to properly test your wifi speeds. Use a PC connected to the router via Ethernet for test station 1 and your wireless device for test station 2. I use the Magic iPerf app on my Android wireless device. iPerf sends the data one way to you will need to take turns running the iPerf sever on the PC and your wireless device. I had no problems getting 550+ Mbps with AC68U using a 2x2 ac wireless device. I found the following command line to yield the best results. iperf3 -c 192.168.1.11 -O 5 -i 5 -w 4M -t 30 Use the IP address of the server device on your network. The main argument for fast speeds is the -w 4M.