What's new

RT-AC68U doesn't get Gigabit Connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phil_wifi

Occasional Visitor
Hey there!

I am a long time reader (since 2014 :eek:) and always got great value from this forum! I used my AC68U since years and was always quite happy with it. I switched to a D-Link covr 2200 setup for a few years but am now back on the Asus.

I am in Germany, with a Gigabit connection, latest Asus Merlin firmware, 100% Apple devices (max 5 years old) household except an Echo, smartplugs, receiver, Roku, etc.

The router gets ~950 Mbps down (according to Vodafone Speedtest) but the wired connection maxes at ~700, WiFi at ~400. The Asus Speedtest in the settings never even reaches 300.

I did the usual test with Jumbo Frames, Tree Spanning Protocol etc. I don't use any services lie AiMesh, Qos, etc.

Where do I go wrong?
What speeds could I expect via WiFi?

Looking forward to any hints and help!

Last edited:
Jumbo frames may hurt the bandwidth. The router has to work to split them up for transmit.

I tested the connection with disabled as well as enabled Jumbo Frames and it does not make a difference. Especially the ASUS Speedtest is always in the low 200s no matter what setting I choose.

I tested the connection with disabled as well as enabled Jumbo Frames and it does not make a difference. Especially the ASUS Speedtest is always in the low 200s no matter what setting I choose.
Ignore the Asus speed test results they will always be restricted by the AC68U's CPU. Only test from a LAN client.

What speeds could I expect via WiFi?

Most clients are 2-stream, up to 866Mbps link speed. About 1/2 throughput is realistic expectation. 400Mbps is good in non-ideal Wi-Fi environment.

Only to AX clients and not much higher. 866Mbps (2-stream AC) vs 1200Mbps (2-stream AX) maximum link speeds. It won't make big real use difference for you, if your AX clients are mostly phones/tablets. They have nothing much to do with >100Mbps speeds.

Only to AX clients and not much higher. 866Mbps (2-stream AC) vs 1200Mbps (2-stream AX) maximum link speeds. It won't make big real use difference for you, if your AX clients are mostly phones/tablets. They have nothing much to do with >100Mbps speeds.
What would make a difference then?

My work laptop will be wired soon for most of the day and only occasionally be used with Wi-Fi. The rest is mainly iPhones, iPads.

How much could I realistically get via Wi-Fi from the gigabit connection?

Last edited:
The speed is limited by your clients capabilities. If most are 2-stream AC, the realistic expectation close to the router is about 500Mbps. It can vary according to your Wi-Fi environment. Some may see close to 600Mbps on a good day, some may never get above 400Mbps. A newer AX router will work better with your existing AC clients not because of AX support, but because of AC Wave 2 support. Newer radios are more sensitive and offer about 20% more range or better link speeds at the same distance. Unfortunately, AX68U router has quite a few issues reported. More expensive AX86U is the model most Asus users go for. You still won't be able to see Gigabit over Wi-Fi, unless you use 160MHz wide channel. It requires DFS range use and may or may not work for you.

The throughput from an RT-AX68U will be (much) better than from an RT-AC68U.

The superior to the RT-AC68U, (the RT-AC86U), also showed its age to the current entry-level router, the RT-AX68U.

Superior RF design, newer hardware, newer SDKs, and more all add up to a superior networking experience. And if you want to get the best out of your Gbps connection, the RT-AX86U is the best option today.

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

RT-AX86U vs. RT-AX88U

The speed is limited by your clients capabilities. If most are 2-stream AC, the realistic expectation close to the router is about 500Mbps
Just checked, most important iPhones & MacBook are ax compatible. Rest is ac. So, should there be gains expected for the ax devices?

So, should there be gains expected for the ax devices?

In theory - yes. In real world use - no. For phone/tablets - it doesn't matter. For laptops - you may get slightly higher speeds, not noticeable for most common Internet activity, more noticeable if you download large files from Internet or transfer files to local network storage. I don't know what your network use looks like. If you are happy with AC68U speed and coverage and if you and your family members mostly browse Internet, learn/work from home, watch videos, etc. - 80% of the new router cost will be investing in nothing. You got caught in common ISP speed increase trap - you are trying to match the speed investing in new hardware, but the overall Internet use and experience remains the same. The ISP and the router manufacturers get more money, you get better speed tests only.

In theory - yes. In real world use - no. For phone/tablets - it doesn't matter. For laptops - you may get slightly higher speeds, not noticeable for most common Internet activity, more noticeable if you download large files from Internet or transfer files to local network storage. I don't know what your network use looks like. If you are happy with AC68U speed and coverage and if you and your family members mostly browse Internet, learn/work from home, watch videos, etc. - 80% of the new router cost will be investing in nothing. You got caught in common ISP speed increase trap - you are trying to match the speed investing in new hardware, but the overall Internet use and experience remains the same. The ISP and the router manufacturers get more money, you get better speed tests only.
I see. Then the question would be: how to best set up the AC68U for my needs. Coverage is a problem at the moment: many brick walls and a long apartment with the router at one end and the workspace at the other. This is why I used two D-Link Covr for a while. I thought I could gain speed (among other benefits) with the ASUS.

Coverage is a problem at the moment

A new generation AC Wave 2 or AX router may be better about 20% in coverage. Do you expect this to solve the problem?

With nearly twice the price I would rather settle for the second best at the moment ;)

Gigabit connection; 100% Apple devices (max 5 years old) household except an Echo, smart plugs, receiver, Roku, etc.; work from home;... where exactly have you settled for less besides your old, slow, recycled AC68U network? ;)

OE

20% more is good enough for the moment I think.

But OE is right, maybe just invest in a fresh router every 8 years :oops:

In this case get one AX68U or AX86U and test. If it doesn't work - send it back. Make sure you have this option available.

20% more is good enough for the moment I think.

But OE is right, maybe just invest in a fresh router every 8 years :oops:

Be sure to compare the router model tech specs list on the ASUS website... any obvious differences may be worth knowing before you buy.

OE

Even the same router model in EU region may perform differently than what we know here in US/CA.

AC68U with 7dBi antennas upgrade beats AC86U range. The issue - good quality antennas are hard to find. Almost everything on Amazon/eBay is fake. This upgrade makes the router more directional in horizontal plane - possible solution for apartments.

@Phil_wifi, in case you don't know - when used in single level apartment the router antennas must be pointed straight up. Like this - | | |.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!